• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Yeah the scat Pack is a mid to low 12 car if you can get it to hook.
    Which I cannot if you look the 13.00 was @97 mph I had to lift because it broke loose or crash I lifted.
    It went 0-100 in 10.5 seconds so I would estimate about an 12.7 run before the tire smoke

The Hellcat is a 6 speed it's good for about 11.7.
    She wanted all season tires so she can drive it on nice days in the winter so that's a few .10,s
    The automatic is about a second faster in the 1/4.

Plus street times are always going to be slower than track times.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    It broke loose somewhere after the 1000ft mark it ran a 8.5@87mph and ran 100mph in 10.5 seconds it wasn't far from the end.
    It has an unbelievable top end charge normal trap speeds are in the 107-108 range if the tires are not smoking.

BTW a 14.6@97 would put you at an estimated 220 or so to the wheels based on about 3600lbs.

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It broke loose somewhere after the 1000ft mark it ran a 8.5@87mph and ran 100mph in 10.5 seconds it wasn't far from the end.
    It has an unbelievable top end charge normal trap speeds are in the 107-108 range if the tires are not smoking.

BTW a 14.6@97 would put you at an estimated 220 or so to the wheels based on about 3600lbs.

Something doesn't look right...broke loose after the 1000ft mark and ran 8.5 @ 87mph??? No way! The Demon can't even do that. It may have gone 8.5et & 87mph at the 1/8th mile (660ft).
    Have you ever had it to a track and gotten real time slip with it? Just asking because it has been a while since I held one with those times. But I have a buddy whose 16yo kid drives an 80 Malibu with a very mild 355 and turbo 350 trans (stock) that runs low 12s @ 110-112mph in the 1/4 and his car weighs in at 3500 & some change. I would love to see a true time slip. A coworker has a hemi shaker version and his electronic dash info wasn't too accurate as compared to a time slip from NHRA. He went home disappointed. Not taking anything away from you or arguing..but the info just doesn't look right

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    O.k. I repaired the two loose pins that the advance springs attach to in the gm style distributor so that the timing isn't changing back and forth anymore. Now the next problem, with 15 degrees initial advance I'm getting 55 total degrees by 2600 rpm. Remember that this is a stock engine other than the external bolt on's including this infernal DUI distributor. I'm guessing that this stock engine probably doesn't want or need anymore than about 35 degrees of advance fairly low in the rpm range. Safe assumption?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    O.k. I repaired the two loose pins that the advance springs attach to in the gm style distributor so that the timing isn't changing back and forth anymore. Now the next problem, with 15 degrees initial advance I'm getting 55 total degrees by 2600 rpm. Remember that this is a stock engine other than the external bolt on's including this infernal DUI distributor. I'm guessing that this stock engine probably doesn't want or need anymore than about 35 degrees of advance fairly low in the rpm range. Safe assumption?

Wow.........is the vacuum can hooked up...???
    I would pull the vacuum line and see what the mechanical does for you.
    Is your light correct. Just asking. I have chased this demon around the barn only to find my light had lost its freaking mind.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Something doesn't look right...broke loose after the 1000ft mark and ran 8.5 @ 87mph??? No way! The Demon can't even do that. It may have gone 8.5et & 87mph at the 1/8th mile (660ft).
    Have you ever had it to a track and gotten real time slip with it? Just asking because it has been a while since I held one with those times. But I have a buddy whose 16yo kid drives an 80 Malibu with a very mild 355 and turbo 350 trans (stock) that runs low 12s @ 110-112mph in the 1/4 and his car weighs in at 3500 & some change. I would love to see a true time slip. A coworker has a hemi shaker version and his electronic dash info wasn't too accurate as compared to a time slip from NHRA. He went home disappointed. Not taking anything away from you or arguing..but the info just doesn't look right

He does need to see what NHRA has to say about this on their clocks. That would be the base line.
    Buddy bought one of those early systems that did the same thing and he was all proud how fast his Mopar was until the NHRA set the record straight.
    I am not saying that is the case but I have looked at way to many ET slips and this does seem off. I would love to see some real world numbers on these cars. They are stupid fast.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Wow.........is the vacuum can hooked up...???
    I would pull the vacuum line and see what the mechanical does for you.
    Is your light correct. Just asking. I have chased this demon around the barn only to find my light had lost its freaking mind.

I didn't think to drop the vacuum until I'd shut down for the night, I trust the light because we repeated the exercise several times, I believe there's a way to limit the mechanical advance by inverting a plate under the rotor. Plenty to do tomorrow!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I didn't think to drop the vacuum until I'd shut down for the night, I trust the light because we repeated the exercise several times, I believe there's a way to limit the mechanical advance by inverting a plate under the rotor. Plenty to do tomorrow!

Start with the Vac can and see what that does. Then do the mechanicle.
    I often run without the vacuum hooked up. Just set and let the mechanical do its thing.
    It does sound like something is loose/askew.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    View attachment 59451

It ran 8.5 at 87 mph in the eighth mile then a 13.00 at 97 mph in the quarter breaking loose somewhere after the 1/8th .
    The Scat Pack the SRT 392 and the Hellcat have a gps based system that's supposed to be accurate.
    We southern people are limited on drag strips Greater Evansville is a crappy eighth mile that's hit or miss if it's open. Then beech bend at Bowling Green,KY quarter mile not bad if they don't have a national event going on.
    US Sixty in KY is a good eighth mile track.

Of course if we have a INGO drag race meet I will be first in line.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    View attachment 59451

It ran 8.5 at 87 mph in the eighth mile then a 13.00 at 97 mph in the quarter breaking loose somewhere after the 1/8th .
    The Scat Pack the SRT 392 and the Hellcat have a gps based system that's supposed to be accurate.
    We southern people are limited on drag strips Greater Evansville is a crappy eighth mile that's hit or miss if it's open. Then beech bend at Bowling Green,KY quarter mile not bad if they don't have a national event going on.

Depending where you are in southern IN, Ohio Valley Dragway might be closer than driving over to US60 (Hardinsburg). It's between Louisville and Ft. Knox right off 31W in West point KY. It's a nice 1/8th mile track.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    View attachment 59451

Put some tires on it and take it down to Edgewater.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Start with the Vac can and see what that does. Then do the mechanicle.
    I often run without the vacuum hooked up. Just set and let the mechanical do its thing.
    It does sound like something is loose/askew.

Agreed the vac isn't really necessary although this is essentially a lopo engine that can use all the help it can get. I believe I'll find the answer tonight although in doing a little research I found that this company supposedly builds each distributor to customers specs. A lot of comments I've read about them is that they tend to believe that if a little advance is good then a lot is better! Either way I'll get it worked out, it's just a little confusing when multiple issues happen at the same time and they tend to mask/mimic each other.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Agreed the vac isn't really necessary although this is essentially a lopo engine that can use all the help it can get. I believe I'll find the answer tonight although in doing a little research I found that this company supposedly builds each distributor to customers specs. A lot of comments I've read about them is that they tend to believe that if a little advance is good then a lot is better! Either way I'll get it worked out, it's just a little confusing when multiple issues happen at the same time and they tend to mask/mimic each other.

Sorting through the pile of issues can get confusing at times.
    In this day of unleaded knock oriented fuel one must be careful.

I did not fully research my engine when I was pulling some of the bite from it. Taking the dome's out and replacing with true flat tops (just valve reliefs) in my mind was putting CR at 10 to 1. Reality struck when I flipped the heads over and saw the closed chambers. Old style Fuely chambers. 62cc's out of the box. I milled them for true when I originally built this engine in the blue printing process. Chambers measure 61cc's now.
    I did the math and the CR is right at 11.2 so I am still screwed. Cam 2 at least or a serious mix there of. Especially with the spray. To achieve the CR I was looking for would have required the open chamber 76cc heads. :(

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Sorting through the pile of issues can get confusing at times.
    In this day of unleaded knock oriented fuel one must be careful.

I did not fully research my engine when I was pulling some of the bite from it. Taking the dome's out and replacing with true flat tops (just valve reliefs) in my mind was putting CR at 10 to 1. Reality struck when I flipped the heads over and saw the closed chambers. Old style Fuely chambers. 62cc's out of the box. I milled them for true when I originally built this engine in the blue printing process. Chambers measure 61cc's now.
    I did the math and the CR is right at 11.2 so I am still screwed. Cam 2 at least or a serious mix there of. Especially with the spray. To achieve the CR I was looking for would have required the open chamber 76cc heads. :(

Yeah but damn the exhaust fumes from Cam 2 are almost intoxicating!:rockwoot:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom