• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I read an article the other day about big inch Fords. I guess the 460 blocks have roomy crank cases and that can fit BIG strokers no problem. Ginomours CIs. I'll see if I can find it.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    How's about this Blue Oval? (I posted it a while back but it's worth watching again)

[video=youtube_share;_wg38Qdyv8Q]http://youtu.be/_wg38Qdyv8Q[/video]

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Am I mistaken that I believe the big after market Ford blocks are patterned after the 460.

Yes they are. Ford Racing offers an aftermarket block that is capable of handling up to 632cu in. Although when you go that big the thrust angle on the piston to cyl walls get pretty extreme. It's available in both steel and aluminum. We have a steel block version with Trick Flow A460 heads that has been stroked and poked to 588 ci. We had an aluminum version with C460 heads that was stroked and poked to 598 ci. We only ran the 588 for one season before building the 598. At the time (2005 ish) the GM guys were dominating the heads up scene with 632's. We were very competitive against them with the 598 and some really good guidance from Steve Johnson of Induction Solutions (back then he was working for Edelbrock) with our nitrous tuning. When it was time for a full rebuild including rods (aluminum rods) we started looking at options to go bigger. Long story short we decided to go with an Eliminator block with C460 heads, Hogan sheet metal intake (as an off the shelf piece won't fit on the Eliminator block) and it will only set you back $5k (seriously look it up), really good internals and dry sump oil pump and ended up with 632+ ci built by BES. One HUGE issue with the BBF is the oil pump. IF you or anyone you know wants to build one get a Jon Kaase oil pump, that is pretty much nonnegotiable. We had a Melling pump in the 598 and had just finished the burnout and was in the proceas of staging at IRP when the little red oil light came on and lost all pressure. The pump's case split into two halves. Luckily dad caught it right away and shut it off. The Kaase pump is much more robust. With the right parts an eliminator block can go as big a 720 ci with some minor massaging.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    How's about this Blue Oval? (I posted it a while back but it's worth watching again)

[video=youtube_share;_wg38Qdyv8Q]http://youtu.be/_wg38Qdyv8Q[/video]

Ahh yeah they even sound big when they start up. These guys are insane with the huge cubes. Now you have guys like Sonny Leonard and Gene Fulton building close to 1,000 ci engines too. Some of them have get this.. 3/4" diameter push rods to eliminate flexing because they are so long and under so much pressure. Look it up, I aint kidding. It's insane.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Fe- you should now be thinking ditch any notion of an fe motor and go big ci BBF on pump gas

I DO have an old motorhome with an injected 460 and C6. The cabin is getting a little long in the tooth and honestly the whole thing isn't worth anything so when it comes time to retire it the BBF "may" end up in the Galaxie. Now that I've got the FE running in it though I'm going to be focusing on other areas of the car and try to at least get it Friday Night Cruise-in worthy. We'll see. . . .

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    A preview of Ken Block's latest video:

[video=youtube;mYKB2qi_FRs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYKB2qi_FRs[/video]

I need to start supplementing my fluid intakes now!!:drool:

He was on the new Top Gear a few weeks ago. He gave Matt LeBlanc (Joey) a trip through London. That car is BADA$$!!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom