I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No I'm talking about your converter

Oh....Duh.
    A lock up gives you a 5th gear in essence for hiway cruise and fuel efficiency. It is not to be used in the performance mode as in stomping the throttle if you have a manual (driver operated) lock up. I will be using a stand along ECU to run the trans as it is a 4L60E. I will have to discuses this with the my guy when I drop it off.
    Yes the lock up is more expensive and complex. I have a B&M Super hole shot that I ran in my Biscayne and was slated for the Camaro. It is sitting quietly waiting. If it will work as I am to believe that will save me $500 but I will not have the total overdrive.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I managed to manipulate my funds a bit and move some thing I no longer need so I can take my Transmission out to my guy.
    I had parts and pieces that if kept might spark another project. Friends in need so here you go. I am 3/4s there. Trans is covered now I need to decide lock up converter or not. And what Stall speed.

If you plan to drive at highway speeds then by all means get the lock up converter. It will pay for itself in fuel mileage.

I changed out the fuel gauge in my truck to a 0-30 to get me by until I relocate the gas tank to the rear.

My converter started locking up as soon as the trans went into OD. The truck would chug at speeds below 40 with the 3:42 gears. I drove around the show and strip in Drive for a day until I figured out the ground wire came loose from the controller. My fuel mileage sucked bad.

After getting it hooked back up the converter locked in at the set speed of 60 mph and it all worked great.

It is much quieter too when rolling down the highway.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you plan to drive at highway speeds then by all means get the lock up converter. It will pay for itself in fuel mileage.

I changed out the fuel gauge in my truck to a 0-30 to get me by until I relocate the gas tank to the rear.

My converter started locking up as soon as the trans went into OD. The truck would chug at speeds below 40 with the 3:42 gears. I drove around the show and strip in Drive for a day until I figured out the ground wire came loose from the controller. My fuel mileage sucked bad.

After getting it hooked back up the converter locked in at the set speed of 60 mph and it all worked great.

It is much quieter too when rolling down the highway.

Agreed this would be a plus I am just not sure how much interstate time this car will see.
    Having to run at least a mix of cam-2 and premium fuel gas mileage will be in the back of my mind but knowing myself and my rock ape full speed ahead driving style it would be a wash in the end.
    I m still weighing it out.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Agreed this would be a plus I am just not sure how much interstate time this car will see.
    Having to run at least a mix of cam-2 and premium fuel gas mileage will be in the back of my mind but knowing myself and my rock ape full speed ahead driving style it would be a wash in the end.
    I m still weighing it out.

Im not sure what controller your using but I have a B&M controller to lock up my converter. I turn the knob up to increase the speed where the converter locks up or down to lower. There is also a bypass button to turn it off completely. It is literally like having a five speed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Im not sure what controller your using but I have a B&M controller to lock up my converter. I turn the knob up to increase the speed where the converter locks up or down to lower. There is also a bypass button to turn it off completely. It is literally like having a five speed.

I have the 4L60-E so I will need an ECU stand alone unit.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    could you not find a 4L80?

Nope. Looked for a while. The 2 I found in the yard 1 had a busted case from the collision the truck was in and the other had some serious internal damage.
    My guy says he can build the 60E to hold 700 HP. He builds a lot of the local racers (street and strip) tranny's so I will be OK with the one I have.

Last edited:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Nope. Looked for a while. The 2 I found in the yard q had a busted case from the collision the truck was in and the other had some serious internal damage.
    My guy says he can build the 60E to hold 700 HP. He builds a lot of the local racers (street and strip) tranny's so I will be OK with the one I have.

that should be plenty...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom