latest

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've tried that. . . .they aren't worth a lot. I don't have any grandkids but I'm bettin' they're worth a LOT more!!:laugh:

Yes you are correct. Best offer I get is I pay someone to take them.....:lmfao:

I have not heard from Hooker. No hurry's but damn.

Brakes (disk conversion all 4 corners) with 2" drop spindles. Looks like about 1K gets me in the game.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I say the same thing. I would love to have a lift at home. Only down side would be my family would expect me to work on more of their stuff

And you would suddenly have more friends than you remember.
    Oh hey man can I use your lift...???

I have no place for one but I do have access to one if I really need it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's a pretty bad machine but it has too many doors.

It is the only way they came. One of my all time favorite big chevy's.
    We bought the very last black 96 in the state in late 96. The word came down GM was pulling the plug on that car so in a panic I called everyone I knew in car sales. Found one at a stealership in northern Indiana. Had it 2 days later.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    On drag radials too.

I read an intsresting article on the differences in launching a radial vs a true slick. Real interesting. I'll see if I can find it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    On drag radials too.

I read an intsresting article on the differences in launching a radial vs a true slick. Real interesting. I'll see if I can find it.

They respond completely differently. The radial will not wrap up like the slick will.
    You can get slicks with varying sidewall stiffness as well.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Slicks are meant to wrinkle, and grow even with stiff sidewalls. The stiff sidewall is only stiff in part of the sidewall closest to the bead to allow the tire to wrinkle and grow.
    Drag Radials have a completely different construction. They don't wrinkle and they will not grow as the tire spins.
    Now, a slick tire is designed to have some wheel speed (controlled spin) on launch. As the car moves forward and speed increases the tire grows and deforms as its bite increases. If the tire gets too much wheel speed it will start cupping in the middle and will leave a distinct "waddling" or "paddling" pattern on the track. You want some wadding pattern but too much leads to tire shake. Tire shake occurs when the bite, wheel speed causes the tires to spin and deform to the point they become out of balance.
    Drag Radials do not like wheel speed at all. They need the track to be much stickier because they are designed to dead hook (no spin, no wrinkle). To make a radial work you have to have the stickier track, and manage the power by applying it differently. Mostly that is done by using a completely different style shock and spring set up. Usually a longer shock/spring.
    If you look at a drag radial car as it leaves the line the nose should be down and the rear end has to seperate from the chassis and raise the back of the car. Looking at a slick tire car the nose is up and the rear end is down. They have to be tuned so the slick tire car transfers weight to the rear and a radial needs weight to essentially transfer to the nose or else it will cause huge wheel stands and bad things happen. I know that's a lot and it gets deeper and murkier but that is the basics

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Slicks are meant to wrinkle, and grow even with stiff sidewalls. The stiff sidewall is only stiff in part of the sidewall closest to the bead to allow the tire to wrinkle and grow.
    Drag Radials have a completely different construction. They don't wrinkle and they will not grow as the tire spins.
    Now, a slick tire is designed to have some wheel speed (controlled spin) on launch. As the car moves forward and speed increases the tire grows and deforms as its bite increases. If the tire gets too much wheel speed it will start cupping in the middle and will leave a distinct "waddling" or "paddling" pattern on the track. You want some wadding pattern but too much leads to tire shake. Tire shake occurs when the bite, wheel speed causes the tires to spin and deform to the point they become out of balance.
    Drag Radials do not like wheel speed at all. They need the track to be much stickier because they are designed to dead hook (no spin, no wrinkle). To make a radial work you have to have the stickier track, and manage the power by applying it differently. Mostly that is done by using a completely different style shock and spring set up. Usually a longer shock/spring.
    If you look at a drag radial car as it leaves the line the nose should be down and the rear end has to seperate from the chassis and raise the back of the car. Looking at a slick tire car the nose is up and the rear end is down. They have to be tuned so the slick tire car transfers weight to the rear and a radial needs weight to essentially transfer to the nose or else it will cause huge wheel stands and bad things happen. I know that's a lot and it gets deeper and murkier but that is the basics

Well said. Readers digest version but on point. Watch that Impala leave.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Some really good drag racing this weekend at IRP. MNCA world finals. Several classes and lots of fast cars. Aslo supposed to have a few Street Outlaws making some exhibition runs. Advertised to have Boosted GT, Kayla, Derek and the silver unit, kamikaze Chris and the elcamino, plus Boddie has brought his red chevy 2 from California.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom