• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    These particular mines are called "Limpet mines" from what I've read. They're attached (magnetically I assume) to the hull of the ship as opposed to the floating/anchored mines used in shipping lanes. The only reason I can think of to remove an unexploded one would be to try and hide evidence. I think that is what is suspected in this incident.

That makes a little more sense, I still don't understand how they get attached though, a boat pulls up next to the tanker as it's passing by and sticks a mine onto it?
    Also the reason I read to do it was to drive up oil prices?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That makes a little more sense, I still don't understand how they get attached though, a boat pulls up next to the tanker as it's passing by and sticks a mine onto it?

Yep, that's exactly how it's done. Keep in mind how big these supertankers are, and not very maneuverable, and compare that to a smallish speedboat. It'd be almost like a bug landing on your arm, and I imagine it's usually done under cover of darkness.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I was surprised by reports that the US didn't have assets in the area. I read there was a carrier group making a port call in Oman (CVN-72?) that got underway immediately (3 to 4 hours elapsed time) after the latest attacks. The MSMBS was talking about how one of the carrier groups in the Atlantic would have to be repositioned; maybe as a long term strategy but I believe they could tune up the Iranians in a big way right now if they so desired. 52s over there somewhere and flight from Whiteman over there only about 11 - 12 hrs

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Pretty shrewd what Iran is actually doing. Sabotaging Saudi oil infrastructure, attacking airports, drowning the Kingdom is a slow and bloody war in Yemen, and attacking non-US oil tankers in deniable ways that don't result in crews dying. Forcing the Saudis to spend money, while making it expensive and dangerous for the world to buy and ship their oil. Their allies in Yemen use human shield tactics to manipulate the Saudis into killing huge numbers of people, spoiling any international support. Civilians in the US hate the Saudis so much they're spouting conspiracy theory false flag nonsense and outright denying that Iran is doing any of this. The US doesn't even need their oil anymore after the domestic fracking boom. Trump has no credibility and no support for intervention whether the facts are on his side or not.

If Iran succeeds at dissuading buyers of Saudi oil, while sabotaging their ability to produce oil, WHILE bleeding them dry in Yemen...we may actually see the collapse of the Saudi regime. The Saud clan is deeply unpopular inside SA, but holds on to power through lavish spending on fat paychecks for BS jobs and propping up the lifestyles of their playboy prince class. They rent peace, and it costs tens of billions of dollars. The regime will get evicted when they stop paying.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If it comes to war, I would expect the Saudi military to perform just as well as the Kuwait military did when Iraq invaded - everybody above lieutenant related to the house of Saud and looking for the next plane out

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy

Or a swimmer would place them if our forces were doing it.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I'm really not happy with the prospect of loved ones going off to fight in more banker wars.
    But it's not like I have any say. If they go, for decades now they go with a multi-tool with their names engraved in the handle.
    That's something I can do. And in situations created by globalists a young man can need an edge.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Just a passing thought or two or three...
    Do you want your nation to fight a war with Iran?
    What for? For what cause?
    What do you expect to get out of it?
    Do you need someone to provide greater cause?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Do you just want to sit at home and stare at your navel until the rest of the world comes to notice you?

It's a difficult choice, especially if one is not willing to secure their borders against those who will come to destroy your economy or you.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Yep you're right. The borders are a facet of war that really needs to be examined closely. If sub-Saharan Africans with ebola can make it to the border with Mexico then Iranians with something worse can make it also.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm inclined to believe that Iran will run out of terrorists before the Saudi's run out of money. They have cash piled up all over the world and have had decades to do it. Much of it is right here in US Banks and the stock market.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Crew members of the Japanese ship saw what hit them coming in.
    So much for the hokey pokey about "mines".
    But, but, it could have been a flock of really evil flying limpets, right?

That youtube video of the Blues brothers playing the theme to Rawhide at Bob's Country Bunker may become my universally apropos comment on the diamond shaped district of oddball geometry and monuments.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Crew members of the Japanese ship saw what hit them coming in.
    So much for the hokey pokey about "mines".
    But, but, it could have been a flock of really evil flying limpets, right?

That youtube video of the Blues brothers playing the theme to Rawhide at Bob's Country Bunker may become my universally apropos comment on the diamond shaped district of oddball geometry and monuments.

I haven't seen that yet. Got a link?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Well, there's just a couple of problems with that. Mines like the limpet type most certainly can damage a ship above the water line (in the video they are shown removing the mine from the hull above the water line), and torpedos don't "fly", so they would do damage below the water line. If he had said the crew saw incoming missiles (flying objects), then that might make sense.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Who is to say that mines and rockets/missiles can't be used together, perhaps to fuel the very confusion we are seeing?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Just a passing thought or two or three...
    Do you want your nation to fight a war with Iran?
    What for? For what cause?
    What do you expect to get out of it?
    Do you need someone to provide greater cause?

While I personally do not believe propping up the Kingdom is worth even a single American life, there is a compelling argument for the necessity of ensuring safe transit for shipping and ending attacks on civilian vessels.

Then again, it's all non-US flagged shipping being targeted, and all these international weenie nations are denying that anything suspicious is happening at all, so for the time being I'm kinda happy sitting back and watching their tankers get blown up while the rest of the world's "leaders" pretend it isn't real. With any luck the Iranians know what happens when you target Americans.

Top Bottom