• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Ok gotta rant here.
    On 2/6/2013, I purchased a NIB Marlin Model 795 Semi-auto .22lr.
    After unboxing it and cleaning it, I took it out to see how it would shoot. Immediately it started jamming. I took to the internet for common causes. I found out that the culprit is usually the feed throat that caused this and should be cleaned and polished. Ok, I did that. No help. I changed ammo, no help.
    I took apart the internals and found that the barrel had been pressed in at an angle and slightly canted. This had caused the receiver to crack at the point of where the barrel met it. I called and sent it in to their repair facility in Ill on 2/11. They received the rifle on 2/13. I called a week later, and after getting a busy signal for 2 straight hours I got through for them to tell me they sent it to Remlin, for a replacement.

Ok, last week, on 3/8 I called Marlin direct, and they told me they were replacing the rifle and one had been sent from the warehouse to the factory? What? Anyway, it shouldn't be long now right? I guess that's wrong. I called again today, 3/14. The rep told me that the rifle was on order and that was the only info they had. It was being replaced and it was on order and it should be a few weeks...

Wow just wow. A new rifle purchased and a over a month later, I still don't have it. :xmad:

To anyone thinking of purchasing a new Marlin, be cautious and inspect it before you even leave the store. I didn't, and now I'm paying for it.

Marlin has crap quality and even crappier service. :twocents:

A picture of the issue.

picture.php

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Dang Shiban - I hope they get it fixed for you. That's a bad deal. I've had good luck with Marlins, but now I'm more leery if I ever needed to contact them directly.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    This is why some people that buy/collect Marlins only want the older ones.
    Remington has done the same thing to the Bushmaster name.
    No-one wants a Bushy unless it was made in Windham ME.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    When buying Marlin rifles in .22 LR especially, I try to stick with serial numbers that indicate a date of manufacture before 2008.

Remington was a respected name when I was a kid (60's and 70's) but it is so much junk now.

TEK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    st joe county
    i had a marlin camp carbine in .45, like back in 97-2000 or so then I cut it loose. jammed all the time unless you had really hot ammo. not worth it.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Ok gotta rant here.
    On 2/6/2013, I purchased a NIB Marlin Model 795 Semi-auto .22lr.
    After unboxing it and cleaning it, I took it out to see how it would shoot. Immediately it started jamming. I took to the internet for common causes. I found out that the culprit is usually the feed throat that caused this and should be cleaned and polished. Ok, I did that. No help. I changed ammo, no help.
    I took apart the internals and found that the barrel had been pressed in at an angle and slightly canted. This had caused the receiver to crack at the point of where the barrel met it. I called and sent it in to their repair facility in Ill on 2/11. They received the rifle on 2/13. I called a week later, and after getting a busy signal for 2 straight hours I got through for them to tell me they sent it to Remlin, for a replacement.

Ok, last week, on 3/8 I called Marlin direct, and they told me they were replacing the rifle and one had been sent from the warehouse to the factory? What? Anyway, it shouldn't be long now right? I guess that's wrong. I called again today, 3/14. The rep told me that the rifle was on order and that was the only info they had. It was being replaced and it was on order and it should be a few weeks...

Wow just wow. A new rifle purchased and a over a month later, I still don't have it. :xmad:

To anyone thinking of purchasing a new Marlin, be cautious and inspect it before you even leave the store. I didn't, and now I'm paying for it.

Marlin has crap quality and even crappier service. :twocents:

A picture of the issue.

picture.php

Did they say "Remlin" or "Gremlin." :D:D:D

onetwoonetwo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    somewhere in the dark
    last summer i had to send a brand new 336c back to them(Remington) to be fixed and tweaked.
    they did it, and the rifle shoots excellent now but, it did have to go strait out of the box to the factory to be fixed.
    like i said, it is excellent now, but at first, not so much.
    hope they take care of you asap and hope you have better luck on your next purchase(yes, buy as many as possible).

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    I won't buy a marlin post 1990. I really won't touch a non JM stamped Marlin.
    Lesson learned, buy older Marlins!
    That said, the Model 60 use to be plentyful, but now they are tougher to find by the day!

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I have a Marlin 60 that my mom bought me for my 13th birthday. I'm 24 now so its around a 2001 or so. It has the polymer trigger guard, and that pressed type of laminate veneer looking stock, but it means the world to me, and was probably the best Birthday present I ever received.
    My grandpa had an older one with the Walnut stock with the acorns and squirrels. It was also an 18 shot, versus my 15 shot newer, shorter model. That being said, mine is a great little gun, and its killed many a squirrel and varmint. I hate to hear about the bastardization of this once great name. My next gun will be a 336 or a 917 for squirrelies and varmints. I guess I'll have to go through it with a fine tooth comb.

Also, my local Wally World (Bedford, Lawrence Co.) has 917s with the medium thick barrel and synthetic stock and sling swivels for $199. I may pick one up..............if its not junk...:rolleyes:

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    Also, I assume its the same for H&R? I thought I heard that Marlin made those too, So i'd assume now that Crapington makes them? Everybody needs an old Topper...says the Sasquatchhunter

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Adding some pics to show the quality and problems I had.

Bolt. Look how smooth that machining is.
    picture.php

The Jam itself
    picture.php

And what it did to the round
    picture.php

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    Maybe it is my imagination, but more and more companies across the country are lowering their standards in the manufacture of what used to be quality products. Weather this is due to lack of skill on the part of the workforce or lack of quality control in inspecting the finished product, I don't have a clue. I fell like a certain level of product failure is acceptable to them and will not tarnish their name as long as they fix the problems as they arise. If they can save a couple of bucks on each item by eliminating an inspection, then that is additional profit in their pocket or just keeps the price stabilized. It did not used to be this way and a company name actually stood for quality. Now we have to deal with Chinese imports and the only way companies can compete is to trim costs where ever they can. :twocents:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    NWI
    I just picked up a m60 week ago, the gun had rust spots all over the barrel and the action was gritty, I offered him $40 not to sure if it would work, took it home, cleaned it up and polished the barrel,receiver internal and bolt. It shoots fine and has the plastic trigger guard and takes 18rds.

Top Bottom