• UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    My three Marlins are from the 70's.
    My Bushmasters are all pre Remington.
    They all perform perfectly and exhibit top notch quality throughout.
    The new Remlins, and RemMasters that I've handled are crap compared to the older models.
    It seems that the owners of those previously well made firearms only care about maximizing profit at the expense of quality and pride in workmanship.
    They seem to be put together like toasters, microwave ovens, and most other "Throw away" devices foisted on the Public today by greedy manufacturers who could care less if their product holds up.
    Screw em......
    I'll look for used firearms that were made by craftsmen/women and pass them down to my Grandchildren.

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Sorry for your luck. I purchased a Marlin 795 a few weeks ago and it performs perfectly. Looking over a weapon before purchasing is good advice. I have yet to buy a used weapon because I don't know what to look for. Guess I need to be wary of new stuff too. Thanks for the post. Hope your next rifle is a better performer.

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    My 795 works flawlessly too.
    As far as machining goes, how far do you expect them to go on a $150 gun?
    My 870 from the late 80s bolt isnt machined perfectly either, but since the part that isnt doesnt ride against anything, the extra work would be cosmetic only and would add to the final cost.

The only issue with mine is the rear sight is drifted too far to the right, but its getting replaced with a blank when the Tech-sights go on.
    I read up on them quite a bit before I bought it, so I knew to look it over pretty well before I paid.

My buddies newer 795 (with the molded in sling swivels) also works just fine....and he didnt look it over, so maybe he lucked out.

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Mine is the newer version as well. I put Tech sights on it and it is awesome. Planning on getting a second one for my spouse. May upgrade mine with a Boyd stock in the future. A trigger job is also recommended on the rim fire board, but I am good with the present trigger for now.

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    My 795 works flawlessly too.
    As far as machining goes, how far do you expect them to go on a $150 gun?
    My 870 from the late 80s bolt isnt machined perfectly either, but since the part that isnt doesnt ride against anything, the extra work would be cosmetic only and would add to the final cost.

The only issue with mine is the rear sight is drifted too far to the right, but its getting replaced with a blank when the Tech-sights go on.
    I read up on them quite a bit before I bought it, so I knew to look it over pretty well before I paid.

My buddies newer 795 (with the molded in sling swivels) also works just fine....and he didnt look it over, so maybe he lucked out.
    I don't expect it to be perfect, I do however expect it to function and be safe. It is also a firearm, it should be held to higher standards, no matter what it cost. Price should be irrelevant. This was a purchase to share with my children, and foster their appreciation for shooting. This is why I'm really upset, what could have happened...

I only showed what I thought was bad craftmanship. I didn't show the other pic of the top of the bolt that does slide against the receiver. The metal is raised from damage to the side of the bolt. I am not the only one with this issue either. I have found others with the exact problem, whose bolt looks 100x worse than mine. Rusted and pitted to be exact, to the point it looks like it was dug from a hole in the ground.

I have learned a valuable lesson from this, and for that I should thank Remlin. All of my firearms are pre 80's. They have all been given to me by family. This was my first "new" purchase. I won't be so naive again, that is for sure.

covert justice

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    Indy
    Poor service

I had a very simular situation last year. They are very slow at replacing the rifles but on the up side...my replacement has been a great shooter.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Maybe it is my imagination, but more and more companies across the country are lowering their standards in the manufacture of what used to be quality products. Weather this is due to lack of skill on the part of the workforce or lack of quality control in inspecting the finished product, I don't have a clue. I fell like a certain level of product failure is acceptable to them and will not tarnish their name as long as they fix the problems as they arise. If they can save a couple of bucks on each item by eliminating an inspection, then that is additional profit in their pocket or just keeps the price stabilized. It did not used to be this way and a company name actually stood for quality. Now we have to deal with Chinese imports and the only way companies can compete is to trim costs where ever they can. :twocents:

Some still take GREAT PRIDE in QC and their products. My new S&W 1911 SC is probably the most finely crafted gun I have ever owned. It shoots flawlessly, eats everything I feed it, and is frighteningly accurate (it makes me look good when I shoot). And the new Rugers that I have shot have also all been fine guns.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I have a Marlin 60 my dad bought me in about 1989 or so. I was a youngster(14 or so). We probabaly shot 3000 rounds through it over a summer or two. It was awesome.

I think Dad payed 70 or 80 bucks for it brand new lol...my, how times have changed.

Still have it, never shoot it, but will never sell it. Put a scope on it last summer...may try shooting it again, see if having hte scope makes it any more appealing to me to shoot.

Sierra117

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    lebanon
    I bought a marlin 795 for my son last year and we've not had any issues with it. I certainly hope i dont have to deal with their customer service any time soon.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    If you think their new rim fires are bad, check out the 1895!

Holy cow! Terrifying how bad of shape some of these guns are leaving the factory.

Buy used, at least 10 years+ old. You won't have these problems. At least my 99' 1895 is made flawlessly in fit and finish, every detail.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    What ammo are you using? Both of mine love cci and blazer. Win super x, not so much. Had a similar issue with mossber on a 20 ga shotgun. Took four months but the replacement is flawless. With the amount of firearms being sold, cs is a little backed up. Marlin has very good qc, but even humans aren't perfect. Sorry you are having trouble

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    What ammo are you using? Both of mine love cci and blazer. Win super x, not so much. Had a similar issue with mossber on a 20 ga shotgun. Took four months but the replacement is flawless. With the amount of firearms being sold, cs is a little backed up. Marlin has very good qc, but even humans aren't perfect. Sorry you are having trouble
    Federal bulk, Remington Golden, Winchester X. It did the same thing every time. I even bought another magazine, still did it. I get that they're backed up, but there was no QC, just looking into the receiver you could see the damage. Just upset had to rant...

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I sympathize with you - it's really a downer when you buy something new that doesn't work perfectly - regardless of the price! I will say I recently assembled a LR-308 from DPMS - bought the parts separately, Stripped lower, DPMS lower kit, Wood furniture, Upper was complete DPMS with SS 20" heavy bull barrel. I know DPMS is a company under the Freedom Group financial organization, but I couldn't be happier with the fit and finish or operation of this rifle. Haven't fully broken in the barrel yet, but so far the accuracy has exceeded expectations. Haven't had any issues with FTF or FTL and everything is extremely tight.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I stopped in at Walmart on the Weeeeessssstttt Side of Columbus today in a vain search for ammo. The old guy that works the gun counter there was chatty as they weren't very busy. I looked at a few guns...but had him show me a Marlin 60 similar to mine.

He said 'too bad the barrels on all of them are bent'. I looked at him quizzicly and he said..look down the barrel. I looked, didn't see a curve but didn't stare for a long itme. He said they are all bent. He conferred that Marlin's are junk now. :( I'll keep my old 60

jschutz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    I recently bought a 39A that had to go back three times before they got it right. Finally replaced the entire action and barrel. It's still not nearly as good as my 70's era.

dragun762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    With the current state of the gun market. you dont even have anything to complain about yet...lol. I waited 3 months for my sp2022. And my friend waited longer for his cz. almost every place online says there may be a wait cause of the panic. Marlin will replace it just be patient. and to be blunt that is why you look at a gun before you buy it.

Top Bottom