• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billyramair

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Columbus area
    My dad has a marlin that has shot more woodchucks, rabbits, opossums, coons, etc. than I can count, he bought it new, and since it was a cheap rifle, he decided to experiment, and see how long he could go without cleaning before it would have problems, after about 30+ years, and thousands and thousands of rounds, it has never had a jam and is extremely accurate. I know they are nothing like this anymore, and that is a shame.

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    I got an update yesterday.

The replacement rifle was shipped to the repair center in Ill, and is expected to be delivered on Tues. 3/26. They in turn have to ship it to me. At least it's out for delivery. I may have it by the end of the week. I'll just have to check it THOROUGHLY when I get it back.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Every maker make lemons. It happens.

Problem is finding your price point. Shooters will use $40 in gasoline to save $10 on a gun.

Marlin has to keep its overhead down. That means fews QC inspections which demand labor hours.

If Marlin put more time in their guns, what would happen to the price?:D

Right, go up. We would have 2,344 thread on INGO entitled "The ourrage that is the price of a Marlin", "They is proud of dem raffles" and, of course, lots of +1s.:laugh:

I hope they fix it so it will run. The 795 is a lot of gun for the money, but it is not an Anschutz.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I think I have posted my marlin boxes here before.

Guess which one is pre buyout and which one was post buyout.

MarlinBoxes.jpg

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    you are supposed to keep those away from children? oops...
    i have let quite a few children learn to shoot my 795's, in public no less. wish i would have read the box...

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013

MarlinBoxes.jpg

I'd say top is pre. It looks like a QC initial on it. ;) EDIT: Ok I'm blind and dumb... holy crap, I didn't see that.

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    Well, it could be the top box was made in Louisiana. Or Alabama. Or a number of other states where they actually say it that way, lol.

The reason most people dont notice, and possibly why it was missed in QC, is that our brains only care where the first and last letter is and the rest of the letters can be in any order and we can still read it.

"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Well, it could be the top box was made in Louisiana. Or Alabama. Or a number of other states where they actually say it that way, lol.

The reason most people dont notice, and possibly why it was missed in QC, is that our brains only care where the first and last letter is and the rest of the letters can be in any order and we can still read it.

"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

wow, either you disabled your spell checker or that was one heckuva battle

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The gun that came in the box is long gone. The box I kept. Mike at crackshot calls me "John the Marlin guy." so when he got that shipment in he called me over to look at them. One came home with me. Don't mess much with anything other than Marlin levers.

Cerberus capitol is making them most of everything they buy.

Marlins fit and finish as far as stock to wood goes being very bad has to do with the fact that they were using up every rejected butstock and forend from the seconds and thrids marlin would not put on them when private ownership was in place. They had a run of Dicks/big 5/wall-mart/ 41 mags 1894's that were very bad on fit/finish and quality of wood.

The bulleyes in the stock was to only be used on walnut guns. During the takeover I was able to find one of the 195 laminate stocked 22 with a bullseye that escaped the factory before the other 305 stocks were removed from the bullseye line.

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    I just received a call from the "repair center" in Ill. They received the replacement today and called telling me the needed an FFL to ship it to. There's another $20 added to the gun. So far my $150 rifle is now $190 with the $20 shipping to the center.

All companies have QC issues from time to time. I just happen to find those companies every time it seems. I wanted the gun because I thought it was going to be a cheap plinking rifle. For the money, I could have probably found a better used rifle. Live and learn. Thank you Four Guns for being reasonable on your FFL cost.

I did pull the mag from the rifle before I sent it though. I wonder if a new one is included in the box... Was I wrong for doing that? At least I get a $10 mag if it's there. :)

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    I just received a call from the "repair center" in Ill. They received the replacement today and called telling me the needed an FFL to ship it to. There's another $20 added to the gun. So far my $150 rifle is now $190 with the $20 shipping to the center.

All companies have QC issues from time to time. I just happen to find those companies every time it seems. I wanted the gun because I thought it was going to be a cheap plinking rifle. For the money, I could have probably found a better used rifle. Live and learn. Thank you Four Guns for being reasonable on your FFL cost.

I did pull the mag from the rifle before I sent it though. I wonder if a new one is included in the box... Was I wrong for doing that? At least I get a $10 mag if it's there. :)

If they are the manufacturer, they do NOT need to send it to an FFL. Browning sent me a brand spankin new O/U when my old one had issues, and it came right to my door.
    Call them back and tell them that, and tell them about the extra cost and that they need to be responsible for the return charges, NOT YOU.

Lerious

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    i recently bought a marlin 795 Semi-auto .22lr.
    my gun jams a lot also.
    Turned out to be the magazine problem.

25 round champion magazines are hit or miss. factory 10-round magazines work like magic.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

MarlinBoxes.jpg
    Ok. When I get home I'm checking my Marlin boxes. I bought lever action 44mag 5 or 6 years ago. Love it. Just recently bought .22 bolt action. Just had it out once. Seemed fine. 30 years ago we all bought 10/22s if we wanted autos. No problems there.

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    If they are the manufacturer, they do NOT need to send it to an FFL. Browning sent me a brand spankin new O/U when my old one had issues, and it came right to my door.
    Call them back and tell them that, and tell them about the extra cost and that they need to be responsible for the return charges, NOT YOU.

The rifle was sent to their designated repair facility. The repair center saw that it needed replaced and it was sent from there to the factory. Since it was shipped from that repair center, it was returned to them to in turn be sent to me. Since the repair center is a gun shop, they had to send it to an FFL I guess. The place that has it never said anything about charging me for them to ship it back, but obviously the FFL that receives it has to charge me. It sucks that I have to pay for shipping both ways, but I don't see a way around it.

I really just want this done, so I can be done with them.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I have a newer bolt-action Marlin that was very rough out of the box. It's just a .22lr so it's not critical, just my plinker for fun. I don't really have the skills to know where to touch it up so I've just run it hard and it's smoothing out.

If anybody has the skills/time to give it a good looking over and smooth it up a bit, I'm down with donating some funds ;).

Top Bottom