Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I once referred to "jap bikes" on INGO. It seemed to trigger some people. Seriously, what's wrong with jap bikes? Well, other than they're not Harley's. You want a crotch rocket, you get a jap bike. You want some vibration down there, you get a Harley. :dunno: To each zer own.

Definitely not.

The Vancouver Canucks would have changed their name by now.

Jap is nowhere near the level of the word. Nip is probably a little closer.

You said the n-word! :runaway:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Semi-related. There's a thread on Reddit today posing this question:

"You know how "Ching Chong Chang" is used as racist onomatopoeia to generalise Asian languages - is there an equivalent onomatopoeia in Asian cultures for the English language?"

Some interesting answers. One person says they use "shalla shalla" to generalize English. "Ruh ruh ruh" also common. Spanish add "tion" to the end of every word.

Brit's use "valley girl" accents to mock Americans. Indians sometimes use "washa washa washa". Greeks use "bar bar bar".

One common thing among a few cultures is adding a lot of hard "R" sounds. That's apparently a very distinctive English thing. Jamaicans use phrases like "okey dokey".

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Semi-related. There's a thread on Reddit today posing this question:

"You know how "Ching Chong Chang" is used as racist onomatopoeia to generalise Asian languages - is there an equivalent onomatopoeia in Asian cultures for the English language?"

Some interesting answers. One person says they use "shalla shalla" to generalize English. "Ruh ruh ruh" also common. Spanish add "tion" to the end of every word.

Brit's use "valley girl" accents to mock Americans. Indians sometimes use "washa washa washa". Greeks use "bar bar bar".

One common thing among a few cultures is adding a lot of hard "R" sounds. That's apparently a very distinctive English thing. Jamaicans use phrases like "okey dokey".

rLQVEut.gif

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Imma glutton for context. So I had to look up that article. I'll leave it to the reader to decide whether to google it and give it a click.

She got some **** wrong.

woke ***** said:
    Then there are white women who appreciate yoga a little bit too much, the kind who devote entire Instagram feeds to their "practice" and flood the #chakra hashtag. Or white students who take a spring break trip to Thailand and come back to school two weeks later rocking elephant pants and a big ol' Buddha tattoo, because Eastern religion is so much more chill.

So the **** what? Back when people were sane, imitation was a form of flattery. How about minding your own ****ing business? You do you, let other people live their own lives the way they see fit.

She did get some things right though. Like this:

woke ***** said:
    Adopting black slang when trying to appeal to a black audience is, unfortunately, kinda racist and definitely appropriative, even if you're doing it because you think it's cool or even (yikes) trying to make someone else feel more comfortable.

I don't know about "appropriative". That's just a made up term like the rest of the silly made up words in the woke dictionary of neo-postmodern lunacy. But definitely it's very cringy when team-D, you know, Hillary, Biden, Obama, etc., try to appropriate the slang of cultures they don't belong to, to try to seem like they're woke and just like the people they're lecturing.

I try never to do that. The only time I appropriate the slang of cultures I don't belong to is when I'm mocking them. For example, I do a really good uplands Missippian dialect. Everhow yallawnnah doit. Fine by me.

But I'd like to submit the idea that for consistency's sake, wokeness should kinda work the same way. If you're not from an ancient Indian culture wearing your hair in dreadlocks culturally appropriates their hair style. You're only ever allowed to do things that are unique to your culture. Them's the rulz.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Seriously guys? Get on XBox voice chat one day and see how things are. This is tame as hell.

I think it's just more of the anti-FO76 dogpile.

Who knew that a post-apocalyptic environment in which cannibalistic raiders want to skin you alive and devour the flesh off your face could be a safe space against naughty words?

DtRL-RqVsAALHUP.jpg:small

DtRMOk5VAAMAdE_.jpg:small

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I once referred to "jap bikes" on INGO. It seemed to trigger some people. Seriously, what's wrong with jap bikes? Well, other than they're not Harley's. You want a crotch rocket, you get a jap bike. You want some vibration down there, you get a Harley. :dunno: To each zer own.

You said the n-word! :runaway:

"Rice burner" gets the job done, too

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    NYT... Censorship promotes Free Speech, and other retarded opinions.

How Twitter’s Ban on ‘Deadnaming’ Promotes Free Speech

"As a transgender woman, I find it degrading to be constantly reminded that I am trans and that large segments of the population will forever see me as a delusional freak."

Deluded. Also you aren't deluded or delusional for being trans, but for wanting everyone else to think or say that it's normal. It is objectively not normal. Normal being what the majority of society experiences. A tiny fraction of people are trans. That's objectively not normal.

"Instead, through misgendering and deadnaming, each conversation is handled as a referendum on our legitimacy and existence."

Nobody is denying you human rights. This is a symptom of the resistance to important conversations this far. If you would have engaged in good faith before now this wouldn't be an issue.

This is Antifa logic. It makes no sense to say "restricting certain forms of speech is creating more free speech." Their idea of speech means people actually speaking, not what people are allowed to say. It also creates a double-standard where certain forms of speech are considered more valuable and "more free" because they allow marginalized people to feel more comfortable expressing themselves. Think of James Damore. He and other right-wing (and even moderate) Google employees were afraid of speaking based on a culture of fear, and that culture actually did result in direct consequences for what it deemed "bad speech." How is this any different from the example here, of trolls deadnaming trans people? One form of speech is "more free" than the other.

This is what happens when you let a small number of people become the arbiters of free expression, deciding what is good and bad speech, rather than allowing society at large to decide that for ourselves.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    NYT... Censorship promotes Free Speech, and other retarded opinions.

How Twitter’s Ban on ‘Deadnaming’ Promotes Free Speech

"As a [STRIKE]transgender[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]woman[/STRIKE] MENTALLY ILL PERSON, I find it degrading to be constantly reminded that I am trans and that large segments of the population will forever see me as a delusional freak."........... SNIP..........

[STRIKE]FIFY[/STRIKE].......
    [STRIKE]FIFH[/STRIKE]......
    FIFI :rolleyes:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Radio station stops playing "Baby It's Cold Outside" after listeners voice concerns about lyrics in #MeToo era

When the hell is this idiot pendulum going to swing back

You know for a damn fact this song doesn't bother anyone. No one is harmed, no one is hurt, no one is irritated by it. It's just some busybody, someone thinking "Haha I bet I can make them change this..." SJWs don't actually CARE about any of the crap they ***** about.
    This comes up every single year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby,_It's_Cold_Outside

The song was written in an age when women had little socially accepted sexual agency. It is a duet where the male and female parts flirt and spar backwards and forwards as the male is attempting to get the female to stay the night. When the song was written this behavior was expected of women, who could not be seen to be as readily available for male companionship. For it to be socially acceptable he offers a list of excuses that would pardon their behavior, and she parries his suggestions but leads him on enough to keep trying (staying for a half a drink more and later a cigarette). The most objected to line, "Hey, what's in this drink?", if offered up without any context by critics hoping that people will make a connection to date rape. Instead, at the time the song was written it was a phrase in common use to avoid the consequences of social faux pas by blaming alcohol.

For a better explanation; https://www.bustle.com/p/a-tumblr-p...g-may-have-entirely-different-meaning-6617625

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Radio station stops playing "Baby It's Cold Outside" after listeners voice concerns about lyrics in #MeToo era

When the hell is this idiot pendulum going to swing back

You know for a damn fact this song doesn't bother anyone. No one is harmed, no one is hurt, no one is irritated by it. It's just some busybody, someone thinking "Haha I bet I can make them change this..." SJWs don't actually CARE about any of the crap they ***** about.
    The song is an old standard. Standards and traditions have to be torn down. Deconstructed. Problematized.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom