Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That debt has never been paid. The people that were victims of those injustices have long since been dead, and never made whole (nor could it be done) for what they underwent.

Please try and understand 1 basic fact. Neither I nor you did anything towards any of those people. The ones who want to hold us hostage for a terrible thing that happened long before we were ever taking in oxygen. None of those holding us hostage were part of that either. It is long past time to stop using that as an excuse to act badly. It is in fact time for all of us to do our best to move forward.
    I had a friend of color that held this hate deep in his heart. It only came out when he was a bit tipsy. He was starting off into it one evening and I asked him as a friend to explain why he carried this with him. It was a burden. We are all Americans now. He told me that some came here on the boats. I replied that we all came here on Boats. He said no, you were waiting here when "Our" boats arrived. His remarks directly blamed me (in the conversation) for the things that took place hundreds of years ago. There was no disconnect of the time frame.
    After trying to explain my position of innocence he was having none of it. I no longer share time with him. I will not be held hostage for something I had zero part of.

As I mentioned up thread. I am here as a direct result of involuntary servitude.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You've nailed it. And it just amazes that is irrelevant to bring up the fact that he just committed a felony robbery moments before. And that he did not cooperate with the officer in the moments before the shooting. To them this kid did no wrong!! Look at the facts. That's all you have to do. Just look at the facts!

I hear ya. I had a guy on FB that said basically " I know this study on guns from Stanford making it more dangerous not less for everyone to own guns only has a 10% confidence rate, but I want it to be true so I'll take that 10% as acceptable. "

SMH

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We may well be related then. Did yours make a stop in Nova Scotia, then North Carolina?
    A—

Y'know? Before this weekend, I might have said there was no way, but I was reading a bunch about the history of the underground railroad in Parke Co. (Walkin' the Wabash : An Exploration of the Underground Railroad in West Central Indiana http://visions.indstate.edu:8888/cdm/compoundobject/collection/vcc/id/482/rec/24), and immigration to Parke Co. (where my family's been from for generations) from North Carolina, before, during, and after the War of Northern Aggression, seemed to be a running theme, so who knows. I'll hafta get with some of my elders to see about tracking down some of those tributaries to my gene pool to see if any of them ran through the Carolinas.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A—

Y'know? Before this weekend, I might have said there was no way, but I was reading a bunch about the history of the underground railroad in Parke Co. (Walkin' the Wabash : An Exploration of the Underground Railroad in West Central Indiana http://visions.indstate.edu:8888/cdm/compoundobject/collection/vcc/id/482/rec/24), and immigration to Parke Co. (where my family's been from for generations) from North Carolina, before, during, and after the War of Northern Aggression, seemed to be a running theme, so who knows. I'll hafta get with some of my elders to see about tracking down some of those tributaries to my gene pool to see if any of them ran through the Carolinas.

All of my elders are gone now. But the family lore goes something like my relative insulted some duke or some other titled nobility in Scotland and fled. He was supposed to have owned a mill in Scotland and left it all behind.

If you see the names Pyree or Crabtree come up, we may have a shared branch of our family trees. :D

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Please try and understand 1 basic fact. Neither I nor you did anything towards any of those people. The ones who want to hold us hostage for a terrible thing that happened long before we were ever taking in oxygen. None of those holding us hostage were part of that either. It is long past time to stop using that as an excuse to act badly. It is in fact time for all of us to do our best to move forward.
    I had a friend of color that held this hate deep in his heart. It only came out when he was a bit tipsy. He was starting off into it one evening and I asked him as a friend to explain why he carried this with him. It was a burden. We are all Americans now. He told me that some came here on the boats. I replied that we all came here on Boats. He said no, you were waiting here when "Our" boats arrived. His remarks directly blamed me (in the conversation) for the things that took place hundreds of years ago. There was no disconnect of the time frame.
    After trying to explain my position of innocence he was having none of it. I no longer share time with him. I will not be held hostage for something I had zero part of.

As I mentioned up thread. I am here as a direct result of involuntary servitude.

I'm in agreement, neither the descendants of slaves or slaveholders have no bearing in the now. Nothing should be expected, and nothing should be given. I took exception because (and you just may have used a poor choice of words), you stated That old debt has been paid many times over. The debt of which you speak was never addressed to those who were the actual victims of those past wrongdoings.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm in agreement, neither the descendants of slaves or slaveholders have no bearing in the now. Nothing should be expected, and nothing should be given. I took exception because (and you just may have used a poor choice of words), you stated That old debt has been paid many times over. The debt of which you speak was never addressed to those who were the actual victims of those past wrongdoings.

And in that context you are correct. Emotions are running hot all around. None of us owe anything on this. We are all here in the now.
    My SIL is a young man of color. He has blessed us with 3 beautiful G-daughters. The twins in my avatar and a 7 year old. He works hard and loves his family. I want this all to go away for them. It is time I think.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All of my elders are gone now. But the family lore goes something like my relative insulted some duke or some other titled nobility in Scotland and fled. He was supposed to have owned a mill in Scotland and left it all behind.

If you see the names Pyree or Crabtree come up, we may have a shared branch of our family trees. :D
    While a child myself, I had some run ins with a few children of the family Crabtree. They were not familial, nor would I even put them as cordial.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Some look at Ferguson and see a police officer who defended himself after being attacked.
    Others look at Ferguson and see racial injustice extending from the early 1700's until now and into the future.

So, if you have the view highlighted, how does burning down businesses that employ or are owned by people with similar backgrounds to you help the situation?

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    As someone with the attention span of a goldfish and stopped watching after last Tuesday's calmer protesting, has anything noteworthy or of interest happened between then and now?

Sort of. The discovery that the recent executive action on immigration incentivizes employers to hire illegals over legal citizens as way to skirt Obamacare costs was reported under the radar. Rev. Al Sharptongue has been silent on this revelation although he represents a demographic with higher-than-average unemployment numbers that will be hurt even more by illegals being hired. The end result will be we all get divided a little more and THAT'S one reason why the Ferguson GJ announcement and the executive action were timed so closely.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Sort of. The discovery that the recent executive action on immigration incentivizes employers to hire illegals over legal citizens as way to skirt Obamacare costs was reported under the radar. Rev. Al Sharptongue has been silent on this revelation although he represents a demographic with higher-than-average unemployment numbers that will be hurt even more by illegals being hired. The end result will be we all get divided a little more and THAT'S one reason why the Ferguson GJ announcement and the executive action were timed so closely.

Aren't employers (at least the vast majority of) from the opposite demographic that Rev. Al Sharpton "represents?" He's one person, and of employers, there are many. So that said, who is more at fault if illegals are being hired to skirt Obamacare?

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Aren't employers (at least the vast majority of) from the opposite demographic that Rev. Al Sharpton "represents?" He's one person, and of employers, there are many. So that said, who is more at fault if illegals are being hired to skirt Obamacare?

But I am doing nothing wrong as long as I can blame someone else for my actions.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    My Irish ancestors were taken from their homes in chains and were sent to the New World to be slaves. Some call it "indentured servitude" but in reality they were slaves in every sense of the word.

My Scottish ancestors came here during the Highland Clearances. Like others, it was leave or die after they were forced from their homes. Those days were a brutal time in Scotland.

But you don't hear us crying about reperations for the Irish Americans. In fact, the incessant whining about slavery pisses me off.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    My Irish ancestors were taken from their homes in chains and were sent to the New World to be slaves. Some call it "indentured servitude" but in reality they were slaves in every sense of the word.

My Scottish ancestors came here during the Highland Clearances. Like others, it was leave or die after they were forced from their homes. Those days were a brutal time in Scotland.

But you don't hear us crying about reperations for the Irish Americans. In fact, the incessant whining about slavery pisses me off.

In all honesty, while just as distasteful, indentured servitude of the Irish pales in scale, application, and longevity. And truth be told, the majority of the time I hear about reparations, it originates from non-blacks railing about how much they don't like the idea. I can't think of a single black person, of note, that uses it as a rallying point that has any traction with mainstream blacks.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    In all honesty, while just as distasteful, indentured servitude of the Irish pales in scale, application, and longevity. And truth be told, the majority of the time I hear about reparations, it originates from non-blacks railing about how much they don't like the idea. I can't think of a single black person, of note, that uses it as a rallying point that has any traction with mainstream blacks.

If by scale you mean numbers you're correct. But in no other way. They were slaves. They were treated as slaves. They were taken from their homes in chains against their will, their only crime being they were Irish and Catholic. Because they were Catholic they were treated worse than most black slaves. There's a lot to this history you, and most others, simply don't know. The only reason the term "indentured servitude" is used is because they were white and calling them what they were is distasteful due to that. And it continues even today. Everyone will agree that blacks were slaves. The Irish don't even get that. Their suffering is belittled to this day.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If by scale you mean numbers you're correct. But in no other way. They were slaves. They were treated as slaves. They were taken from their homes in chains against their will, their only crime being they were Irish and Catholic. Because they were Catholic they were treated worse than most black slaves. There's a lot to this history you, and most others, simply don't know. The only reason the term "indentured servitude" is used is because they were white and calling them what they were is distasteful due to that. And it continues even today. Everyone will agree that blacks were slaves. The Irish don't even get that. Their suffering is belittled to this day.

I'll count myself as informed. I just did a little bit of reading on the subject, and the use of "indentured servitude" is grossly incorrect. They were every bit slaves. Though, I will note that reparations is a moot issue concerning the Irish, as our nation had yet to be founded by the time this institution was dead.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom