Not open for further replies.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Can they even do that? Or would that just be the end of the criminal prosecution chances and the beginning of the inevitable civil litigation?

Of course they *can*, in theory (though McCollough has given every indication that he will abide by the Grand Jury decision). If the Grand Jury returns a No True Bill, the prosecutor can still draft an information (probable cause affidavit), and present it to a judge. And if the PCA in the Zimmerman case didn't get thrown out, I would assume that a PA could basically say anything in a PCA, and get the ball rolling.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Of course they *can*, in theory (though McCollough has given every indication that he will abide by the Grand Jury decision). If the Grand Jury returns a No True Bill, the prosecutor can still draft an information (probable cause affidavit), and present it to a judge. And if the PCA in the Zimmerman case didn't get thrown out, I would assume that a PA could basically say anything in a PCA, and get the ball rolling.
    Thanks for the explanation. I had no idea how that would work.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    If the prosecutor paid any attention to Zimmerman, he would be nuts to try to bring a case. He'll get his ass handed to him just like the Sanford dude did. This assume a no bill from the grand jury, of course.

If the grand jury can't see a way to charge the cop given the preponderance of the evidence, it would take some big stones to proceed anyway.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Can't speak for every state, but since the "criminal information" was invented, grand juries have frequently been used to keep a prosecutor from having to make a hard decision in a touchy case....champions of justice no matter the consequences that they are.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    793936.gif

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Luckily I already went to the grocery to stock up for the winter storm... so I should be able to hunker down in place here in Amish country... a few of them have had a angry look on their faces. I am attributing that to the Ferguson situation.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom