• Status
    Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This road.....it somehow feels like we've been down it before.

crash_germany_a31.dn7tq7gvusgkog0k8wsgcc0wk.a5fuq7lrqzkgc0ccw4ss08gso.th.jpeg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Guys, I am sorry for throwing out the insult and the "go **** yourself". I truly am. I have had enough of hornadyLNL over the years and his attack on my character was enough to call down the thunder. I should have simply just clicked the button and moved on but I couldn't hold back. I'm sorry. That was improper and I shouldn't have done it. I can't un-do it (well I could, but that would be counter-productive at this point) so all I can do is offer an apology.

Apology not accepted and not needed.
    Maybe for letting horny go on with his personal insults to members for years, that might be worthy of an apology? Hard to tell how many good members that ahole ran off?

Horny's banning was years overdue and this place will be MUCH better now that that POS is gone. :ingo:

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Apology not accepted and not needed.
    Maybe for letting horny go on with his personal insults to members for years, that might be worthy of an apology? Hard to tell how many good members that ahole ran off?

Horny's banning was years overdue and this place will be MUCH better now that that POS is gone. :ingo:

I think the place will be less rich because of his absence.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Bill, I'll answer from my perspective...

What would I do different? For starters, actively participating in a thread should remove you from moderating that thread. I remember an instance when someone was laying into Spasmo. She never said a word, but vupdblue banned the person. I was impressed with that because Spasmo had the ability to say she didn't get involved because someone hurt her feelings. Perception becomes reality, and it can easily be perceived that this is what happened with Hornadylnl. Was he generally abrasive? Yes, a lot of the time. Does it look like vupdblue took it personal? Yup.

I understand that mods can't put members on their ignore list (I realize I'm the exception), but that's also a two way street. There has been a mod or two that I'd love to put on my ignore list. Why? Because there are things stated that really get under my skin, and, believe it or not, I'm forced to bite my tongue. We can't put you (as in mods in general) on ignore, we're forced to read catty replies and decide if it's the one we're willing to gamble with shooter status. So, with respect, that argument can't fly with me.

I'm sure some mods and some members will roll their eyes at my reply, but hey, you asked.

Thank you, Rookie. I did ask, and I appreciate your answer. As VUPDBlue said, we try, very hard, to remain impartial. Most of the time, we do. I've gone off on people... he has, we all have our limits. I can say I've never banned someone for an attack on me, personally. I can't say I haven't asked others to look it over and make a decision. In short, and this answers your other question, what can you, as a member, do when someone attacks you? The same as you would do in real life, face to face. Use the tools at your disposal as you see fit.
    1. You can PM the person and talk it out. (I personally recommend giving it a short time period to cool off before doing so, but that's your choice to do or not)
    2. You can report the post.
    3. You can PM another mod, if it's a staff member. (I don't recommend that because none of us can do anything about it.)
    4. You can PM Fenway (or report the post to admin@ingunowners.com... same thing)
    5. You can leave the site.
    6. or... you can "suck it up" and move on. I don't want that taken wrong... I don't mean that you just have to deal with it, I mean you can make that choice as easily as any of the others, realizing that that person's opinion really doesn't affect your life and is not worth your time to worry about. "Don't let it rent your brain-space" might be a better phrasing. Opinions are like something else we all have, y'know?

VUPDBlue had a tool at his disposal and used it. Had someone said the same to you and I'd seen it (or him, or any of the staff, really) the same would have happened. I would have dropped the hammer on that person without hesitation. Temporary or permanent would depend on past history. Probably a temp at first, pending review. Had the attack been on me, personally? It takes me no time at all to report a post.

We have different priorities and training. His is to handle situations decisively, and he's prepared to cycle through his options to do so in a split second. I tend to approach things with decisiveness, but also with an eye toward the other person's view. Does he have a reason to be insulting me, or is he just being that other thing we all have, besides an opinion? For my part, I also try to deal with stuff just as any member does. I haven't always had this hammer, and I won't always have it. That is not to be taken as a thought that either he or I do "it" wrongly. We just have different approaches. That's part of what I meant above in re: complementing each others' strengths and weaknesses.

I understand that it's frustrating to see someone doing something you can't. That he was able to just issue the well-deserved ban, rather than wait for someone else to do it could certainly be irksome. Tossing in that GFY phrase was, I think, what ticked more people off. He's apologized for it, which, really, is all he can do, as removing the post or editing it and all the replies that quoted it would be exactly what he was wrongly accused of doing. I know the man behind the avatar and screen name, and from what I know of him, that apology was sincere. Some will accept it, others may not. That's their choice. I respect the fact that he stood up, took responsibility for his post, and didn't try one iota to duck it.

As to your suggestion... Thank you again. It's mostly already in place. Any others? :)

Blessings,
    Bill

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom