• Status
    Not open for further replies.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    "Moderator discretion". You don't have to break a rule or violate any terms of service. You can get perma-banned for being "negative" or, I guess in this case the aforementioned "relentless"(?). Either way, plainly stated... you don't have to put on your big [STRIKE]girl[/STRIKE] boy panties in any discussion if you hold a hammer.

Question;
    Apology or not, would any other non-mod member here have been smacked for saying the same to any other member? Just curious.

One law for us and another for them. I got an infraction recently for something similar and not against the rules, (admitted by the mod). Now we have a case of someone getting butthurt and having the power, so he banned someone. Banning offences are getting pretty thin around here. Can't wait till Freeman gets it for the same behaviour, but we know that'll never happen.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    One law for us and another for them. I got an infraction recently for something similar and not against the rules, (admitted by the mod). Now we have a case of someone getting butthurt and having the power, so he banned someone. Banning offences are getting pretty thin around here. Can't wait till Freeman gets it for the same behaviour, but we know that'll never happen.

He's trolled much longer and harder than anyone else. Obviously, he trolls the right people.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Kirk did not pick up on a direct attack of a mod after being told to let it go. It was from another post war a while back. This is the same thing that CbHausen did and got the exact same treatment.
    If you step up and become a target you will draw a lot of fire. Just saying.
    Horn personally attacked me last year to the point I would have loved to meet him FTF to finish the discussion personally. He had that effect on many people. I got past it and moved on. I never jumped back in his butt over it even when the opportunity arose. Let it go and move on. Pretty simple.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Kirk did not pick up on a direct attack of a mod after being told to let it go. It was from another post war a while back. This is the same thing that CbHausen did and got the exact same treatment.
    If you step up and become a target you will draw a lot of fire. Just saying.
    Horn personally attacked me last year to the point I would have loved to meet him FTF to finish the discussion personally. He had that effect on many people. I got past it and moved on. I never jumped back in his butt over it even when the opportunity arose. Let it go and move on. Pretty simple.

Or, if you think things are so horribly unfair, you could just leave. :dunno:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Or, if you think things are so horribly unfair, you could just leave. :dunno:
    ^^^^^^ Winner!

It's a privately run site. The "property rights" libertarians should understand that concept. Get over it or leave. Or keep whining and make the place miserable for the rest of us. I suppose I might need to start using the ignore feature.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Wasn't Holder's justice department behind this? Or was it when the white officers sued?

The DoJ was involved at one point, but I don't remember all the details. I do remember that suing was the best way to get promoted for a couple of years. It was like chess, black gets a turn then white gets a turn. The promotion process that was then recommended by some outside consulting organization was so stupid that it never went into effect. They didn't want a written test at all because that was bias against black officers, no points for military service because that was bias against black officers, no points for seniority because that was bias against black officers, etc.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

INGO has laws?

I'm not sure what people don't get. This is the equivalent of private property. If you come to my house for a party, and I decide you're being an ass, I'm free to chuck you out on the street. Being a guest brings certain responsibilities, as does being a good host. If this party sucks so much, find another one.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

1lhmKvU.gif

Admittedly, that may be the ONLY scene in Anchorman where I don't have a high-quality GIF. I should just make one.

that-escalated-quickly-anchorman-gif.gif

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    INGO has laws?

I'm not sure what people don't get. This is the equivalent of private property. If you come to my house for a party, and I decide you're being an ass, I'm free to chuck you out on the street. Being a guest brings certain responsibilities, as does being a good host. If this party sucks so much, find another one.

This is what some seem to miss. It is not majority rule in here. It is a playground. We do get serious but it is a Forum and nothing more.
    I use it for more. I have made so many good friends and many acquaintances. I enjoy my time here. If I am told to slow my roll that is what I do.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    OK. I have not been active in this thread. My mod hat remains firmly on, and so I'll pose the question.

(ETA: "Mod hat on" is not a threat, just saying I'm not engaging in the discussion, I'm here to moderate.)

Please understand that I intend no sarcasm, nothing other than what I say.

Fenway has set up and run several boards, and he's pretty good at it. I flatter myself to think he's pretty good at picking who he trusts to act on his behalf as well, when I'm among that group. Some of you in this discussion have had your name tossed around when "who should be the next mod?" discussions happen, and others have not. (I will not be addressing who, so please do not ask.) Others seem to be expressing a bit of jealousy that they don't have whatever amount of his trust and tiny measure of authority goes along with the responsibility to use it as directed. I have to admit similar when it comes to LEOs, especially in re: presumption of truth in court, so I do understand the mindset and share it. The difference is that Fenway did not prejudge his staff members, he met us and made his decision, or at least looked at a history of posts, where a judge sees only a police uniform.

Now... why did I go into all that? Simply to say that he has reason to trust us as being level-headed and that he sees us work together as a team, complementing each others' strengths and weaknesses. If he does not see that happening, I'd imagine it would result in the person not being a mod anymore, and not of their own choice. I've not seen that happen since I became a mod in 2009.

So here's my question: I've seen several people complain and kvetch about how awful this site is moderated. That's kinda rough. So I'm going to ask, again, without sarcasm, without pointed comments or hidden agendas, how would you run it better?

Keep in mind that as soon as you make a rule on something, some people start looking for ways around it. "Purple" is a good example, upthread. VUPDBlue hit a point of frustration (we've all, ALL of us, member and nonmember, mod and non-mod alike been there!) and in whatever order he did it, banned a member and typed a censored expletive (that admittedly, any member would have gotten smacked for. And in response, many of you have either commented on it later in the thread, via PM, or just amongst yourselves.) Another member retyped the same expletive and put it in purple, as if that makes it OK. It doesn't, but in this situation, it's *probably* not going to result in any disciplinary action against that member.

Also keep in mind that some people do, very intentionally, go out of their way to "push the envelope" and see just how far they can go without (or before they are) banned. They work at it, it seems, poking at the admittedly fuzzy line to see where it stretches and where it breaks. Mods also can't use the ignore list.

Additionally, remember that you're doing the job of moderating along with the running of the rest of your life. All of us hold jobs, have kids/grandkids, maintain a home, have schooling to keep up with for work or otherwise, and generally do the same things you do, with all the headaches on top of it that this place sometimes gives.

We also get accused of playing favorites and enforcing Fenway's rules unfairly. Some seem to think there's some special group of people who never get infractions or other disciplinary actions (either way, warnings or bans) OK, fine. I'm pretty sick of that one, so I'm going to tell you that there IS a group like that. They're the members who don't push envelopes, don't see who they can p*** off, don't stay up nights looking for controversy and don't bait people, mod and otherwise, into frustration that results in posts like VUPDBlue made upthread. Yes, Mr. Freeman does get sarcastic and does repeat certain phrases, but he speaks generally. I've never seen him even once issue a personal insult or direct slam on any one or small group of members.

(Stop. Don't go looking for examples to prove me wrong. That's what I mean about looking for ways around rules, exceptions, and the like. You know full well what I mean.)

Hornady threw a bunch of huge-ass barbs directly at VUPDBlue. He was provoking a response and he got it, finally. Ever hear about the "straw that broke the camel's back"? Most people have. The barbs he threw in this thread were enough to earn him an infraction at a minimum, probably a couple of days off, all on their own. With the totality of his posts over his membership here, his general attitude, and adding in the baiting, finally, enough was enough, and he is no longer a member here. No one forced him to do it. No one else made those posts. Actions have consequences, and if you dig and poke and badger enough, those consequences come home. If you hate it that much here, why do you stay? Why do you push until someone says, "Leave."? We're pretty long on patience when it comes to people violating "VUPDBlue's Rule #1", but one other thing every mod here, past and present, is, is human. We all reach that point of frustration. Think Sam Jackson in Snakes on a Plane... "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!"

Finally, my question above is serious. We do pretty well, I think, but there is always room for improvement. If you have a constructive suggestion as to how to better run the site, offer it. Fenway makes the decisions, based on his experience, and it may be something he's tried that didn't work, but it may be something he hasn't and is willing to try. Only way to know is to give him a chance to evaluate it. Do note that I did say "constructive". Suggestions to "fire __________ as a mod!" will be cheerfully ignored on the public board and may result in good-natured ridicule in the mod forum. Put more plainly, this is not about staffing changes, but policy suggestions.

Thank you for reading this wall of text. I hope it helps.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    And the non-crime related figures? Say those concerning searches, traffic stops, and other issues? I find it odd that 67% of the population received 95% of Fn jaywalking citations.

Not really..... if the 67% are out walking in a higher percentage than the 33%.
    What is the economic makeup of the area.... is it a poorer area? I don't know.
    You would assume less cars and more use of public transportation in that case.
    Whitebread might be doing a lot less walking in the area too.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Not really..... if the 67% are out walking in a higher percentage than the 33%.
    What is the economic makeup of the area.... is it a poorer area? I don't know.
    You would assume less cars and more use of public transportation in that case.
    Whitebread might be doing a lot less walking in the area too.

And that would make sense, if there wasn't huge disparity in traffic stops, from what seems to be popping up now is that there were no legal reason to stop.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    And there in is the issue he is addressing. You will learn from and respect the comments made by the "Play ground" monitor.

Many gloss over this and continue to poke the pile.

He (and others) will learn because they *want* to do so. At Appleseed, we call that "bringing a teachable attitude".

Respect? Meh. I want as much of that as I earn, same as everyone else, but I learned a long time ago that you can't demand to be respected. It happens or it doesn't based on how you treat others. I'll treat others with the respect they earn; no more, no less.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom