Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    He (and others) will learn because they *want* to do so. At Appleseed, we call that "bringing a teachable attitude".

Respect? Meh. I want as much of that as I earn, same as everyone else, but I learned a long time ago that you can't demand to be respected. It happens or it doesn't based on how you treat others. I'll treat others with the respect they earn; no more, no less.

:yesway:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Guys, I am sorry for throwing out the insult and the "go **** yourself". I truly am. I have had enough of hornadyLNL over the years and his attack on my character was enough to call down the thunder. I should have simply just clicked the button and moved on but I couldn't hold back. I'm sorry. That was improper and I shouldn't have done it. I can't un-do it (well I could, but that would be counter-productive at this point) so all I can do is offer an apology.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Guys, I am sorry for throwing out the insult and the "go **** yourself". I truly am. I have had enough of hornadyLNL over the years and his attack on my character was enough to call down the thunder. I should have simply just clicked the button and moved on but I couldn't hold back. I'm sorry. That was improper and I shouldn't have done it. I can't un-do it (well I could, but that would be counter-productive at this point) so all I can do is offer an apology.

While we will all have our opinions about the banning. I believe you're sincere about briefly steping out of character so, at least from me your apology is accepted.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

Does this mean you won't post the video of you tasing yourself? :(

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Bill, I'll answer from my perspective...

What would I do different? For starters, actively participating in a thread should remove you from moderating that thread. I remember an instance when someone was laying into Spasmo. She never said a word, but vupdblue banned the person. I was impressed with that because Spasmo had the ability to say she didn't get involved because someone hurt her feelings. Perception becomes reality, and it can easily be perceived that this is what happened with Hornadylnl. Was he generally abrasive? Yes, a lot of the time. Does it look like vupdblue took it personal? Yup.

I understand that mods can't put members on their ignore list (I realize I'm the exception), but that's also a two way street. There has been a mod or two that I'd love to put on my ignore list. Why? Because there are things stated that really get under my skin, and, believe it or not, I'm forced to bite my tongue. We can't put you (as in mods in general) on ignore, we're forced to read catty replies and decide if it's the one we're willing to gamble with shooter status. So, with respect, that argument can't fly with me.

I'm sure some mods and some members will roll their eyes at my reply, but hey, you asked.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    :+1:

Even JBTs are human.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township

What would I do different? For starters, actively participating in a thread should remove you from moderating that thread. I remember an instance when someone was laying into Spasmo. She never said a word, but vupdblue banned the person. I was impressed with that because Spasmo had the ability to say she didn't get involved because someone hurt her feelings. Perception becomes reality, and it can easily be perceived that this is what happened with Hornadylnl. Was he generally abrasive? Yes, a lot of the time. Does it look like vupdblue took it personal? Yup.

I understand that mods can't put members on their ignore list (I realize I'm the exception), but that's also a two way street. There has been a mod or two that I'd love to put on my ignore list. Why? Because there are things stated that really get under my skin, and, believe it or not, I'm forced to bite my tongue. We can't put you (as in mods in general) on ignore, we're forced to read catty replies and decide if it's the one we're willing to gamble with shooter status. So, with respect, that argument can't fly with me.

I'm sure some mods and some members will roll their eyes at my reply, but hey, you asked.

Not moderating a thread that we are participating is the way we prefer to do things and we try our best to keep it that way. When my character gets attacked, whether I have been participating in the thread or not, the person will get what they get, as evidenced here.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not moderating a thread that we are participating is the way we prefer to do things and we try our best to keep it that way. When my character gets attacked, whether I have been participating in the thread or not, the person will get what they get, as evidenced here.

What about when my character gets attacked? We need a user-level ban. Or make everyone mods! I can see nothing going wrong with that! :D

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    8268D7E2-B766-4DC7-9D6C-5EAE76AF7491_zpslbzf7kpz.jpg

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

That was a personal attack. All bets are off in my book.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

I understand that, but reverse the roles. When my character gets attacked, what are my options? Reporting the post is useless, especially when it's a mod. So, I'm left with the option of fighting back or moving on to another thread. We all know that fighting with a mod will end poorly, so that leaves only one option.

I understand your desire to push back, but it doesn't allow you to maintain the perception of being impartial.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    That was a personal attack. All bets are off in my book.

Sounds great, in theory, but in reality you have to take whatever personal attacks thrown at you if you want to stay.

I had a former MOD make a personal attack at me. Anyone want to guess the results if I took the "all bets are off" approach?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sounds great, in theory, but in reality you have to take whatever personal attacks thrown at you if you want to stay.

I had a former MOD make a personal attack at me. Anyone want to guess the results if I took the "all bets are off" approach?

Check your privilege!

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have swung the hammer many a time over the years on members who can't refrain from personal attacks or trolling. Hordady attacked the wrong person on the wrong day and rode the hammer. He deserved to be banned for many, many reasons above and beyond what happened in this thread. It just so happened that his attack on me was the limit of what I was willing to take from him. This is not about remaining impartial. My remaining impartial is what has kept him around for as long as he has been.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

I was saying that if you make a personal attack on a mod you can't be surprised by the results, whether they are "in" the thread or not. If I am at someone's house I am pretty sure they will give themselves more latitude than they will give me.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have swung the hammer many a time over the years on members who can't refrain from personal attacks or trolling. Hordady attacked the wrong person on the wrong day and rode the hammer. He deserved to be banned for many, many reasons above and beyond what happened in this thread. It just so happened that his attack on me was the limit of what I was willing to take from him. This is not about remaining impartial. My remaining impartial is what has kept him around for as long as he has been.

It's just a pity he didn't exercise his inherent right to secede.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

No, it wouldn't be counter productive. It would show that you took it personal, used your position to retaliate, and you handled it wrong. If Hornadylnl is such a problem, he wouldn't last long.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom