• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It's pretty obvious that if the stock market is under 50,000 and there is at least one citizen who wants a job and doesn't have one, any lying dog-faced pony soldier will be able to beat Trump

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Biden doesn't need a campaign.

Trump needs a campaign.

DJIA, a sliding GDP and high un-/under-employment. That needs fixing. And a virus cure.

And the people that believe O'Biden can fix of that, or even tie his own shoes, are currently in nursing homes just like he should be

Memory care is designed to provide a safe, structured environment with set routines to lower stress for people with Alzheimer's or dementia. Employees provide meals and help residents with personal care tasks, just like the staff at an assisted living facility. But they are also specially trained to deal with the unique issues that often arise as a result of dementia or Alzheimer's. They check in with residents more frequently and provide extra structure and support to help them navigate their day.

“In regular assisted living, residents are expected to manage their own time; menus and mealtimes are posted, but staff is not checking in on them,” says Megan Carnarius, a registered nurse and memory care consultant in the Denver area. “In memory care, the staff ensures residents are getting to meals, coming to activities and moving on to the next thing.”

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It's really simple fellas:

If Trump cannot turn the economy back around by November and get people back to work, he will not have a chance of winning this election.

I don't understand Las Vegas odds....maybe someone here can give us the current "line".

Biden is still not a certainty. I know many democrats would prefer someone else. But Biden vs. Trump: Biden wins unless the economy is back on track. Unemployment, particularly unpaid unemployment, is a republican achilles heel. Congress is at some risk as well.

From a personal point of view, I don't think Trump is doing a bad job in the crisis. He's not golfing AFAIK. He's attempting to do "something", and it's anyone's guess right now what that right "something" should be. There are too many virology unknowns. He did put a ton of money into the economy. I've pretty much stopped reading any of the articles on Trump behavior as his behavior isn't really relevant to understanding the disease.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's really simple fellas:

If Trump cannot turn the economy back around by November and get people back to work, he will not have a chance of winning this election.

I may be wrong on this thought, so please impart some of your experience on me, if necessary :)

I feel like... yes, money is a huge factor in people's minds. It's extremely important in my parents minds... but I also know there's no way they'd vote differently. They're absolutely worried about this current downturn, but also still understand this is happening due to circumstances out of our control. Perhaps you're referring to the "low information" sort of voter that doesn't get involved in politics, and only looks at things on the surface?

Aside from that, I think people are so tribal right now, they really don't care about things like the economy. It's more about "my team vs the enemy".

I really haven't thought much about it, but what percent of the country do you (Alpo) think is non-political, but votes? I'm talking about people that aren't tribal, but vote based on how things are, like you're talking about.

Would that be the "20%" that is always talked about as the independents?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    GP: Remember the old line: "Are you better off today than you were before the election of XXX"?

I'm sure Trump had a great story for himself going into November before the corona crisis. It would be hard for almost anyone in the middle class to say they were worse off than 2016 (I generalize a little, of course, so please excuse that). The poor might not feel the same and they probably wouldn't move to a majority voting for republican this time around. But, Trump had pretty much the rich and a good chunk of the middle class fairly happy going into the election.

But....not now. We can go back as far as Jimmy Carter, methinks, when "It's the economy, stupid." is the most important individual characteristic in the minds of voters. I cannot see it changing.

Trump didn't cause the virus, obviously. But no president is "totally" responsible for a good economy or bad economy. It doesn't mean they won't be stapled with it either way.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    GP: Remember the old line: "Are you better off today than you were before the election of XXX"?

I'm sure Trump had a great story for himself going into November before the corona crisis. It would be hard for almost anyone in the middle class to say they were worse off than 2016 (I generalize a little, of course, so please excuse that). The poor might not feel the same and they probably wouldn't move to a majority voting for republican this time around. But, Trump had pretty much the rich and a good chunk of the middle class fairly happy going into the election.

But....not now. We can go back as far as Jimmy Carter, methinks, when "It's the economy, stupid." is the most important individual characteristic in the minds of voters. I cannot see it changing.

Trump didn't cause the virus, obviously. But no president is "totally" responsible for a good economy or bad economy. It doesn't mean they won't be stapled with it either way.

To give it another point-of-view, though...

I know I was more pissed-off before Trump than I am now. That comfort and happiness is probably worth something to voters. I was far more tribal then, admittedly.

Economy-wise, as a thirty-something, I don't really feel it. I know I've probably lost 5-digits in my retirement accounts, but I also am aware that there's a lot of time to gain it back. Hell, I've increased my contributions while the market is down.

I'm probably not the demographic for the people you're thinking about. I'm still young enough to be ideological, and I think people are increasingly ideologues. But I absolutely agree there are others out there that just want to live comfortably, retire comfortably, and get really ****ing scared when they see their 401k has dropped by over $100k.

I'm not sure, though, if they will find solutions in changing their values and voting for the other party, though? I don't see Democrats (Biden) campaigning on recovering lost assets?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    If Biden's handlers are smart, he won't be saying much at all. They'll do promo spots on TV and cable. He might get a soft-pedal interview of some type. He might even avoid debates. Who knows? This is a new situation and I don't think a script from prior elections can be pulled out of a drawer. The chances of saying something wrong are greater than the chances of saying something spectacular. So, keep quiet. Smile.

Trump can't keep his mouth shut if his life depended on it. Between tweets and adversarial pressers, his chance of a memorable melt-down are pretty high. Democrats and a lot of independents don't like him as an individual. His need to be in front of the camera and top dog are real downsides imho.

Now, if the economy comes back this summer and employment is under control.....he's got a good shot at re-election. If not, sayanora.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    There's a difference between things not being good due to political policies and what happened with this pandemic and I think most people realize that. I doubt most are not dumb enough to think Joe Biden is the one to make things better, lol.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Saw a report this morning that some researchers are suggesting social distancing may extend into 2022! GMA/ABC. I haven't read the report or seen a link to it yet.

Add that into the equation. Bummer.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Why would you even want to put us under the 'leadership' of Biden? What could be worse?

You blame all the countries ills on Trump like saying it will make it so.

Putting anyone less capable in the White House will skuttle the whole country.

Don't get me wrong, I never liked Trump even when I voted for him, but he is a necessary evil. (As is Washington DC for that matter.)

You come across like it is ok for the ship of state to hit the iceberg depending on which flag it is flying.

Well how about this: let's just have someone who can navigate us through to the other side and count our blessings...

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Who is this "you" you speak of? Me?

I've said Trump is doing an OK job. Not world-class, by any means, but most presidents would not be exemplary in this. He isn't a Churchill in WWII saving England in 1940.

Extraordinary times call for ordinary men to rise to the occasion. Trump isn't doing that, frankly. He's doing OK.

Now, do I think Biden would do any better? No.

But if you ask me today whether the country will vote Trump out of office, I'd have to say "yes" based on the state of the state.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The current Las Vegas odds are the same as they were in 2016: 0.06% Trump, 99.94% Any Human, Animal, or Plant, Dead or Alive running against him.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN

It's true that the economy is not something that he can currently point to as a success. But he can circle the wagons and point to how well the economy was doing before the CCP and WHO suppressed the data on COVID-19, which prevented the world reducing the cases by 95%. The global economy is suffering because of circumstances outside the control of this Administration. How much that mitigates harm remains to be seen but, don't forget, it was not his party holding the country hostage to force pork into the stimulus package. It isn't his party that said that they are on a break for several weeks. The Democrats own all that.

He can also point to setting up the task force while the Democrats were progressing with impeachment. He can also point to the impeachment too, and how that was handled. He can point to closing off travel from China to reduce the impact and buy time, while Democrats and Biden tried to call that xenophobic.

What can Biden point to in terms of policy, and his vision to bring the country out of it?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Alpo has a point. We have almost seven months until the election. That is a lot of time for things to get worse or better. The way things trend will probably have a large say in how the election goes.

Biden's best play is to say little to nothing. Trump has to not say a lot of stupid :poop:. Neither one is likely to happen.

The wildcard in all of this may be the House. If they really start beating the impeachment drums again, that may swing things Trump's way. I really can't imagine our population has a stomach for trying to impeach a President that is actively trying to deal with this issue.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Alpo has a point. We have almost seven months until the election. That is a lot of time for things to get worse or better. The way things trend will probably have a large say in how the election goes.

Biden's best play is to say little to nothing. Trump has to not say a lot of stupid :poop:. Neither one is likely to happen.

The wildcard in all of this may be the House. If they really start beating the impeachment drums again, that may swing things Trump's way. I really can't imagine our population has a stomach for trying to impeach a President that is actively trying to deal with this issue.

If Biden says nothing what attack ads to you think the RNC will show? Let me help you guess:
    - Biden confusing his wife for his sister
    - Biden sucking his wife's fingers on stage
    - Biden threatening a union worker and saying that he doesn't work for him
    - Biden saying that he is running for another office than POTUS
    - Biden calling a voter fat and challenging him to push ups
    - Biden calling a voter a dog faced pony soldier
    - Biden's recommendation to play the record player at night to help children learn
    - The Corn Pop tale
    - Children petting his hairy legs and jumping up and down in his lap
    - Biden forgetting which state he is in
    - "All men are created by....created by.....you know....the thing"

Biden has an unenthusiastic voter base to gee up and get excited for him. He can't do that by hiding and not appearing, and he can't do that by hiding from the debate stage and facing Trump. Biden needs to grow a thicker skin about his son Hunter and his reputation. If he struggled with it before becoming Obama's VP he really struggles with it now. And Trump is going to bring that up. Remember when Bill Clinton's accusers were invited to sit in the front row of the debate? Now imagine a front row of strippers with stories to tell about Hunter, especially the one with Hunter's kid.

Biden can't keeping hiding at home and releasing edited and sped up podcasts to try and disguise his obvious struggles.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Don't forget biden calling black kids roaches and bragging about his squid-go-pro.

I can't imagine anybody being happy about the prospect of biden being the "leader" of the free world.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom