Not open for further replies.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I really need to sit and figure out what it likes. It has shown its potential several times, but I haven’t given it the attention to make it shine.

Just have had more fun lately tinkering with things than shooting them.

I only tried CCI SV through it this morning. Seemed OK, but not great. I should have tried some of my SK Standard Plus. I didn't have anything nicer with me.

I type this with the utmost respect: you are insane.

:):

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I only tried CCI SV through it this morning. Seemed OK, but not great. I should have tried some of my SK Standard Plus. I didn't have anything nicer with me.

:):

It got as far being minute of lollipop when we were down at Hoosier Hills. I was content at that point. One these days we will see what it can really do.

Really it was bought for the new trigger, that fantastic bolt and the suppressor ability. If turns out not to be a great shooter, I may swap the barrel for a 17.

Her X-ring will most likely be the rifle that gets the money poured into for a precision build. It’s halfway there already, barrel and trigger to go.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    The rope is set and it's time for me to get all up in the woods...

zkKULay.jpg
    TxNo4B3.jpg

You're a wildman, Tarzan ! :D

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Agreed, everyone is on a budget of some sort, but with some research and some internet & LGS hunting you can usually find something quality in the area you are looking at for what someone without much info pays for something of very low quality. I don't drop as much money as alot of folks here into a single piece, but I do try and research and use the experience I have had, as well as seek out the opinions of others such as yourselves who are trusted and have experience with specific items, then shop what I decide on pretty hard. Buying good quality for my intended use at good prices to get a good value is what I'm after.

I used to be the guy that started cheap and would try to make do. That was a costly lesson and I have a drawer full of crap holsters to show for it. Most of the crap guns are long gone and the Kimber that I still have is here because it’s been a great gun.

Buy once, cry once. Every person that’s graduating this year needs someone to give them that advice. They’ll take some time to really understand the sentiment but one day it will make perfect sense.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’m really itching to get into the precision game. Shooting WT’s Annie last week really was a form of therapy. I loved being able to pop 5 for 5 lollipops with that rifle.

CM, now that you have a Marlin 25, maybe we need to do a Friday shoot from the main line and test our skill against some lollipops at 50y. I have a Glenfield Marlin 25 that is not close to Annie but it does group nicely with good ammo even with the crappie optic I have on it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Ok, to you new home owners out there this week. Take pictures of your yard that show the size of the trees in them. Before you know it, you will have been in the house 25 years and will not remember what it looked like upon move in. The yard will grow with your time in the house and after 25 years, it will be cool to look back and think about how much has grown both in your family and around it in the yard.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I really must be the only one taking a break this afternoon. It’s really quiet in here right now and I’m in danger of becoming philosophical. You don’t want that to happen.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    True, but velocity doesn’t equal accuracy with 22s though. You can have very slow rounds that group very well.

It will come down to your rifle, your barrel, your ammo choice and your ability with all those.

Absolutely. Not saying that zlowing things down is bad t all. Just saying that a 16" bbl will get all the velocity you're gonna get out of most ammo. Plus, shorter is generally stiffer ( less vibration) with less dwell time for us to move and upset our sight picture. :yesway:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    It got as far being minute of lollipop when we were down at Hoosier Hills. I was content at that point. One these days we will see what it can really do.

Really it was bought for the new trigger, that fantastic bolt and the suppressor ability. If turns out not to be a great shooter, I may swap the barrel for a 17.

Her X-ring will most likely be the rifle that gets the money poured into for a precision build. It’s halfway there already, barrel and trigger to go.

Honestly, as long as you can bust lollipops at your preferred distance, it's all good ;)

I really must be the only one taking a break this afternoon. It’s really quiet in here right now and I’m in danger of becoming philosophical. You don’t want that to happen.

Was crowded at the range today. Must have been half dozen other shooters with me on the line. Just got back from grocery shopping and now I'm trying to see if my stepson has plans tonight, or if I'm going to run out to Rascal's.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Absolutely. Not saying that zlowing things down is bad t all. Just saying that a 16" bbl will get all the velocity you're gonna get out of most ammo. Plus, shorter is generally stiffer ( less vibration) with less dwell time for us to move and upset our sight picture. :yesway:

We are having stability issues with the current TacSol barrel on her X-Ring. It shoots fantastic, but it’s so light it’s susceptible to every twitch. The 16.5” aluminum shrouded barrel just doesn’t have the weight to resist movement. The new barrel will be longer and some 2lbs heavier, get the front to slow down it’s movement.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    We are having stability issues with the current TacSol barrel on her X-Ring. It shoots fantastic, but it’s so light it’s susceptible to every twitch. The 16.5” aluminum shrouded barrel just doesn’t have the weight to resist movement. The new barrel will be longer and some 2lbs heavier, get the front to slow down it’s movement.

Good choice. Went with a 20" Kidd straight taper on Barb's squirrel rifle too and for the same reason. Wanted it to be easy to hold still. Think my Lilja on the Quad is 20" Sundberg taper, now that I think about it.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Good choice. Went with a 20" Kidd straight taper on Barb's squirrel rifle too and for the same reason. Wanted it to be easy to hold still. Think my Lilja on the Quad is 20" Sundberg taper, now that I think about it.

Until like 15 minutes ago we had discussed the 20” stainless, bead blasted barrel multiple times. That just changed to the 18” matte black barrel with the diamond fluting, bit more unique and the weight is still within a few ounces. This would be why it hasn’t been ordered yet.

It’ll be a sharp rifle when it’s done though.

Happy with the Kidd barrel? They seem to be the best for performance versus cost.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I used to be the guy that started cheap and would try to make do. That was a costly lesson and I have a drawer full of crap holsters to show for it. Most of the crap guns are long gone and the Kimber that I still have is here because it’s been a great gun.

Buy once, cry once. Every person that’s graduating this year needs someone to give them that advice. They’ll take some time to really understand the sentiment but one day it will make perfect sense.

Don't get me wrong, I was agreeing with CM & TT, (in my own way). To me it's about defining good quality for the intended purpose and then being smart when you buy that item.

Buying junk is just being wasteful as you won't be happy, it won't hold up and likely won't get your money back out of it.

The other thing I've stopped doing is just purchasing stuff because it is a great price. If it is not what I want, and I'm not just buying something to flip there is no sense just chasing cheap.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I type this with the utmost respect: you are insane.

Thank you very much. :laugh:

Same view from the opposite direction...

6WPEd9I.jpg

This looks like a good place to sit down...

xNWRcUk.jpg

This is an Ommmm...... moment.
    I wish you tranquility from the woods ! :)

[FONT=&amp]Ommmm back at you...

[/FONT]
    5U0qN9O.jpg

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...​CZ

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Ok, to you new home owners out there this week. Take pictures of your yard that show the size of the trees in them. Before you know it, you will have been in the house 25 years and will not remember what it looked like upon move in. The yard will grow with your time in the house and after 25 years, it will be cool to look back and think about how much has grown both in your family and around it in the yard.

Good advice, 88 ! (and you're welcome for the tranquil moment).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom