Not open for further replies.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I might switch over to using the Norma Tactical plinking rounds I bought for break in... :dunno:

Perfect. I am more likely to follow the break in procedure on what should be an above average barrel. On the other hand, Hand lapped barrels done right shouldn't need much breaking in (in my mind at least).

While it's a pain to do, if you do the break-in procedure, you will never have to wonder.

I typically get lazy and partially follow the recommendations...fire one and clean, fire a couple and clean, a couple more and clean, several and clean and then have fun.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I did a very scientific study on barrels that I did not break in properly.

The Howa 6.5 Creedmoor had a very filthy barrel and took a while to clean after shooting.
    The Bergara 308 barrel was not too bad and cleaned up quickly after shooting.

The Howa is showing great accuracy already. The Bergara is not impressing me just yet.

So, the results are: I have no freaking clue. :laugh:

I think that if a person wants to chase the ultimate accuracy, the 6.5CM is the route to take (based on everything I've read .... low recoil, flat shooting, etc.). This is probably YOU, Spicy. :thumbsup:

My Bergara HMR was purchased to give me a reasonably accurate 30 cal bolt gun. As I've said, it'd be the one I'd choose to shoot an Elk (out west, as there are no Elk in Indiana), if I ended up in the Rockies because of TEOTWAWKI.
    It's a solid choice, and has good adjustability in the stock. Like you, I would have preferred a bit longer barrel, but I've also noticed that longer barrels can be unwieldy, so 20" will have to do.

I just wish that the next time you head to Greenwood, you give me a hollar. You had to have passed within a few minutes of mi casa ! .... and I would have given you a cup of Ginseng, to refresh and energize yourself !

Last edited:

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The key to proper break in is using the right oil, lubing up the camshaft with the good stuff and making sure that baby is pretimed to make her bark right off the bat… Then run her up to about 2500-3000 rpm for about 10 mins while occasionally revving the engine up and down to let the oil get some different spots… then let her cool down and repeat. After that, you’re good to let’er rip tater chip!

Oh… You guys were talking about guns….

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    The key to proper break in is using the right oil, lubing up the camshaft with the good stuff and making sure that baby is pretimed to make her bark right off the bat… Then run her up to about 2500-3000 rpm for about 10 mins while occasionally revving the engine up and down to let the oil get some different spots… then let her cool down and repeat. After that, you’re good to let’er rip tater chip!

Post-of-the-day ! :lmfao:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

Years ago when I visited the shop working on my 383, I was surprised to see them running it at 6800 and not being concerned. In my life I had never seen a big block V8 street engine run that high and just let run there while they made decisions from a laptop.

I don't argue with people who I am paying to do a job that I don't do as well as they do. pictures engine.jpg

Last edited:

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Years ago when I visited the shop working on my 383, I was surprised to see them running it at 6800 and not being concerned. In my life I had never seen a big block V8 street engine run that high and just let run there while they made decisions from a laptop.
    Technology has come soooo far. Parts available today are incredible. My boss was involved in a blown alcohol dragster build for while. The big block Chevy they were running at first gave up just shy of 9000 after some driver/track prep errors… They switched it to a HEMI after that and it was shifted at 10,500rpm… just absolutely incredible.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom