wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Morning folks! :coffee:

The DPM recoil reduction system came in yesterday for the railed 75B Compact in .40 (aka: The problem child). I'll try to get to the range either today or tomorrow, but it will be tested by Saturday at the latest. It's an interesting system that uses three different springs with different rates that nest inside of a couple of nicely machined parts and is supposed to eliminate slide to frame contact, which is what I think was the source of the issues. If you remember, that pistol has a lighter slide (289g vs. 340g) than the P06 and other .40s. As bought, it didn't run well, with rounds jamming nose down in the mag. I did a bunch of polishing and refreshed/lightened most springs and it ran a tad better, but still failed a couple of times each mag. Heavier mag springs helped a lot, but it still was not 100%. The thing that made that problem difficult was that there's not many springs available to it and if you go too heavy, you get spring bind, which can be almost as bad as slide frame contact. There's not much room to work with in there, but a heavy main spring and 22# recoil spring seemed to do the trick.

The DPM system holds the promise of allowing me to run a lighter main spring while maintaining reliability by fixing the recoil spring issue through the use of nested/stacked springs that come into play at different points in the recoil. If it works, the gun will be a fun shooter. If not, it was about $95 wasted. Maybe not wasted, as I can run it in my P01 or 75B Compact.

This is the DPM system:
    View attachment 60293

Sounds cool Tim, hope it works out for you!

Heck CM, at your age, every day is a gift! :): I'll give you credit for making every one of them count though. Your level of activity puts a lot of us younger guys to shame.

I resemble that remark... :laugh:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning folks! :coffee:

I took the problem child out to the range this morning to try out the DPM recoil mgt system. It lasted for all of 10 rounds before that gun turned it into junk. I need to contact that company because the thing was the correct one for the gun, but just didn't work in it. When I installed it, it felt like it was getting spring bind towards the end of the slide cycle but I was thinking that it was just that third heavy spring coming into action. Turns out that it was binding and by the end of 10 rounds, that third heavy spring was toast. The middle cup is also deformed, which makes me think that it was also hitting the frame. To say that I'm p****d off is an under statement right now. I pulled the DPM system out and put the stock guide rod and 22# spring back in and the gun functioned fine after that. It's really a nice shooter with that setup, but I was hoping that the DPM system would let me put a lighter hammer spring back in. Guess not.

That gun was not CZ's best piece of work.

failed DPM guide rod.jpg

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Fondled a Shadow II this morning. Nice looking pistol. The trigger was really nice, especially the DA pull. But $1150 :faint:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Sorry to hear that your fix of the 75B railed compact didn't work out, 88'.
    I know how frustrating that kind of thing can be. Guess that you'll just have to accept it in the configuration that works, even though it's not the configuration that you prefer.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom