THE CZickness LII....Autumn or Fall? No matter...season is right for a CZ!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Sure, wait until I buy a Prodigy and then dangle the carrot in front of me.
    you-can-do-it-.gif

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I had to modify the grip on my Phantom, it was worse than the stock trigger.
    I seriously toyed with the idea of trying to fit larger grips on, but I’m a hack and didn’t want to ruin a nice gun. Soon found an opportunity to trade it and the CGW parts kit for some labor, to a guy who I’m trying to give the CZickness to.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    My (school teacher) daughter is off work for Fall break, so this afternoon we're going to have a game of Cornhole in the back yard.
    My wife and kids are off but I gotta work. Am going to try to get off work early rest of week just to give a little freedom to do little things as family over break. The breaks are the one thing I miss about teaching!

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Seeing some of the pics in here of 1911 and 2011 has kind of made me think about picking one up. I’ve never thought dollar for dollar nothing as compared to CZs. I don’t want to spend a fortune on one and wondering if there is anything worth looking at in 9mm in the 7-900 range. Anything above that I’d rather have some flavor of shadow. Been thinking of using cajunized p07 and kadet kit to get me into one if there’s anything worth the money in thst price point

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Seeing some of the pics in here of 1911 and 2011 has kind of made me think about picking one up. I’ve never thought dollar for dollar nothing as compared to CZs. I don’t want to spend a fortune on one and wondering if there is anything worth looking at in 9mm in the 7-900 range. Anything above that I’d rather have some flavor of shadow. Been thinking of using cajunized p07 and kadet kit to get me into one if there’s anything worth the money in thst price point
    There was a Prodigy in Coatesville for $1000 on Ingo.

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    1911s can vary greatly in fit, finish and function across all the makes and models, from trash to treasures. My 1911 experience is very limited compared to others here. I believe the consensus is that for the price you can’t go wrong with a Springfield, Ruger Range Officer or Colt. Rock Island and Tisas can make some ok budget guns. But you may be rolling the dice with those. Stay away from Taurus 1911s.

Best thing may be to find a friend or rental shop that has some and try them out before buying. I’d hate to see you spend $$$ and decide you don’t like it vs CZ or get one that is sub par and just doesn’t function well. But a well built 1911 is a beautiful thing to both own and shoot.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    1911s can vary greatly in fit, finish and function across all the makes and models, from trash to treasures. My 1911 experience is very limited compared to others here. I believe the consensus is that for the price you can’t go wrong with a Springfield, Ruger Range Officer or Colt. Rock Island and Tisas can make some ok budget guns. But you may be rolling the dice with those. Stay away from Taurus 1911s.

Best thing may be to find a friend or rental shop that has some and try them out before buying. I’d hate to see you spend $$$ and decide you don’t like it vs CZ or get one that is sub par and just doesn’t function well.
    It’s one of those things I wanna see what all the rage is about. The prodigy was one I kinda looked at but saw some reviews thst kinda scared me away. I don’t remember why at this point honestly. Probably more interested in a 2011 of some sort but know budget will me my limiting factor. I don’t do timed competions so many of the pure comp guns aren’t worth the price to me. I’ve shot my stsinless 75 as good if not better than any of the couple dozen shadows of all flavors I’ve had or shot side by side over the years. I’m looking at it as another thing to tinker with honestly. No expectations I’ll like it as much as most CZs, I’ve just been intrigued with them for a bit

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    It’s one of those things I wanna see what all the rage is about. The prodigy was one I kinda looked at but saw some reviews thst kinda scared me away. I don’t remember why at this point honestly. Probably more interested in a 2011 of some sort but know budget will me my limiting factor. I don’t do timed competions so many of the pure comp guns aren’t worth the price to me. I’ve shot my stsinless 75 as good if not better than any of the couple dozen shadows of all flavors I’ve had or shot side by side over the years. I’m looking at it as another thing to tinker with honestly. No expectations I’ll like it as much as most CZs, I’ve just been intrigued with them for a bit
    According to Honest Outlaw the early Prodigies had some reliability issues that had to be worked out (usually on the customers dime). Some have said that’s all sorted out now. I have no idea beyond that. I’m sure T-dogg is doing a deep dive into the Prodigy as we speak and will educate us.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Prodigy is, maybe, the most obtainable entry-level 2011 drug but, we seem to be entering the resurgence of the 1911 as a 2011 9mm.

Bul, SA, EAA, Rock Island, Oracle, Staccato, Nighthawk...and on and on. Pick your price point!

....or just buy a DWX and invite us all to the range. ;-)
    Believe me the dwx has crossed my mind multiple times but I don’t want to spend the money on not sure I wanna give up two or three from the safe for it lol

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    According to Honest Outlaw the early Prodigies had some reliability issues that had to be worked out (usually on the customers dime). Some have said that’s all sorted out now. I have no idea beyond that. I’m sure T-dogg is doing a deep dive into the Prodigy as we speak and will educate us.

The other thing I recall from his review was that it was very dependent upon using good magazines and that the stock Prodigy mags weren't as good as the high end ones available.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    At the FGE, I was testing out an early 75B Compact in .40 that I has had trouble with since day 1. The issue is that it's not well engineered by CZ and runs a 9mm weight slide. To compensate for the extra power in the .40 round, they cut the spring house to allow extra slide travel, but that tends to lead to spring bind. I've run it successfully with a 22# spring, but spring life is only about 200 rounds.

The best combination I had was running it with a 40P slide, which is the proper weight. But, I sold that slide and was hoping it could run it with a stainless guide rod and a green flat-wire spring. I think that it's a P07 spring. The first 5 rounds were perfect and I was thinking that maybe the flat-wire spring with giving it enough travel but without spring bind. The next 8 rounds were abysmal. Slide contact to the frame, causing the next round to nosedive into the front wall of the mag. The slide then comes forward and jams the rounds while pushing the bullet into the case.

I think that I'll try a heavy hammer spring next along with maybe extra power mag springs. If those don't help the situation, I might send it to T-Dogg to use for one of his art projects :/

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    At the FGE, I was testing out an early 75B Compact in .40 that I has had trouble with since day 1. The issue is that it's not well engineered by CZ and runs a 9mm weight slide. To compensate for the extra power in the .40 round, they cut the spring house to allow extra slide travel, but that tends to lead to spring bind. I've run it successfully with a 22# spring, but spring life is only about 200 rounds.

The best combination I had was running it with a 40P slide, which is the proper weight. But, I sold that slide and was hoping it could run it with a stainless guide rod and a green flat-wire spring. I think that it's a P07 spring. The first 5 rounds were perfect and I was thinking that maybe the flat-wire spring with giving it enough travel but without spring bind. The next 8 rounds were abysmal. Slide contact to the frame, causing the next round to nosedive into the front wall of the mag. The slide then comes forward and jams the rounds while pushing the bullet into the case.

I think that I'll try a heavy hammer spring next along with maybe extra power mag springs. If those don't help the situation, I might send it to T-Dogg to use for one of his art projects :/
    I have a few thoughts / ideas....

- Neutered down hand load?
    - Add weight to the slide in a really creative and artistic way.
    - Dual recoil spring setup

One of those could be a really fun project for someone I know on a deep personal level. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom