THE CZickness L....Celebrating 50 threads with CZs, gunsmoke and serious discussion....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Once you get through fixing stuff, you'll be able to make stuff with the stuff you fixed.

I'm still amazed at each of your posts on this endeavor. You have a will to get it done, and figure it out. I tap out generally after I determine zip ties won't fix it, and while I may not understand a ton of the technical specifics, I can appreciate the ingenuity, work and will you put into this. Pretty cool stuff.

I expect with your ability to manufacture something out of pieces, along with you mechanical skills on cars, that an autobot should be busting out of your garage any day now. Call @Haven when you let it loose as I expect he would want to see it.

Oh, and once you get this whipped, you should take up 3D printing as another hobby.

All hail Lord Megatron!

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Once you get through fixing stuff, you'll be able to make stuff with the stuff you fixed.

I'm still amazed at each of your posts on this endeavor. You have a will to get it done, and figure it out. I tap out generally after I determine zip ties won't fix it, and while I may not understand a ton of the technical specifics, I can appreciate the ingenuity, work and will you put into this. Pretty cool stuff.

I expect with your ability to manufacture something out of pieces, along with you mechanical skills on cars, that an autobot should be busting out of your garage any day now. Call @Haven when you let it loose as I expect he would want to see it.

Oh, and once you get this whipped, you should take up 3D printing as another hobby.
    My nephew has been trying to get me into 3D printing. I had to explain to him that plastic has no soul. I just can't bring myself to buy a 3D printer.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My nephew has been trying to get me into 3D printing. I had to explain to him that plastic has no soul. I just can't bring myself to buy a 3D printer.
    Now, if I could afford one of the 3D printers that print in Inconel, I would have some fun. IIRC, that's what was used to make the 3D printed 1911s a couple of years back. I don't imagine those are cheap though

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It would be cool to know someone who can cast metal parts also. I remember doing aluminum casting in metal shop in high school. That was very cool.
    We did that as well. Metal shop class had us cast aluminum parts and do final machine work on a vertical mill. Then, turn other parts on a metal lathe. We also made steel chisels that we case hardened. I still have most of what I made

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I've seen something like that around the interwebs. Link belts. Haven't read too much about them though. Saw discussions of people sewing and gluing belts together too. I guess more than one way to skin that cat. I could see the appeal to having a belt that isn't one piece on my lathe, wouldn't have to disassemble the spindle just to change a belt.

Screenshot_20230419_174023_Google.jpg

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    We made center punches in metal shop. When I turned mine in, the teacher gave me an A, but said he would turn it into an A+. He set the cutting tool too low and promptly bent my punch. Instead of giving me the A, he made me make a new one. I was less than thrilled.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    We did that as well. Metal shop class had us cast aluminum parts and do final machine work on a vertical mill. Then, turn other parts on a metal lathe. We also made steel chisels that we case hardened. I still have most of what I made
    I still have a small ball peen hammer I made. I remember knurling it on the lathe. I have a knurling tool for my lathe, so I'll be doing that someday.

It's in my range bag.

20230419_174554.jpg

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area

3D printing is next on my list. I have the printer, but need to get rid of an old TV so I can reuse the furniture it is sitting on for the 3D printer. I don't want another piece of furniture in my home office, and I don't have room on the desks, or table.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom