THE CZickness L....Celebrating 50 threads with CZs, gunsmoke and serious discussion....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    It was probably Firehawk… he likes to mess with stuff.

Did you figure out what the issue is?
    Here’s my 700 in 6.5-08AI (260AI). X-caliber 26” 5R 1:8 rifling threaded stainless barrel. Kwik Klip bottom metal conversion with 10 round mag. Richard’s Microfit stock that I installed steel pillars and epoxy bedded. It’s a budget build and still a work in progress.

View attachment 270566
    Nice gun!

The issue is someone drilled into the front hole of the bottom plate, making it deeper, letting the screw go in too far, so much so that at “proper torque” it pushes up on the barrel and LOCKS THE BOLT FROM MOVING!! Doesn’t seem quite right to me.

I initially thought it was the screw contacting the bolt, but it wasn’t making a mark on the bolt, and it was explained to me that the screw landed on the barrel, or feed ramp, or somewhere not the bolt.

The fix is easy, a washer, or shorten the screw, or new bottom metal, either the $70 mag conversion kit or the $300 mag conversion kit. Want to see how it shoots before I spend another dime on it, so waiting on scope and will probably shorten the screw.

Making it mag fed sounds cool but you’re still loading 5 at a time and I guess there’s often feeding issues with 22-250.

An uneducated purchase gets me again.

Maybe I should take it back to Marksman to see what they say. Not really blaming them, but if it was misrepresented to them they might like to know.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Lathe update (sorry, it's all I've been doing lately).

After sorting out vibration gremlins, discovered that despite how things were in 1943, using the bottom of V-belts to run flat pulleys is not a good idea. And also I need to add another support brace to my motor mount. Didn't like that dual V-belt setup to begin with, but research showed thats how some lathes were set up back in the day including this model. My original plan was to use the V-belts and upgrade to a serpentine belt setup if necessary. What I found out was even though my belts were brand new Gates Industrial A25 belts, they are really made to run in V grooved pulleys, further proven by Gates molding their ID markings into the bottom section of the belt which ends up being a raised portion of rubber coating (or whatever the material is). I removed those markings with a razor blade, which did offer some improvement. Again, I didn't like using them to begin with, especially as a pair since one belt always seems to stretch more than the other anyways.

Main issue. I found there are "hard" spots on the belts, mainly where the belt seams are joined together. Not an issue in a v-groove where the side walls are the area being gripped. But when these hard spots spin around a flat pulley, the bottom of the belt rises near those hard spots and causes a wobble. Wobble leads to vibrations. Vibrations at certain rpms were bad enough to make the lathe unusable at those speeds. No Bueno Carlos.

On order is a 6 rib Goodyear automotive serpentine belt 27.3" in length and an alternator pulley from a Mustang. The pulley has a bore of 17mm. It will get bored to 19mm (3/4"), a keyway cut and threaded for 2 set screws. Those two parts are only $25 combined. I can still use the lathe temporarily at certain speeds, so it will be used for the boring on the pulley.

20230417_212130.jpg

Tire crayon to mark the hard spots. Used a dial indicator on the mount to watch the vertical movement when the hard spots came around the flat pulley. As much as 0.012" movement was recorded. Doesn't sound like a lot, but in person you can see it easily.

20230419_104612.jpg

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

After sorting out vibration gremlins, discovered that despite how things were in 1943, using the bottom of V-belts to run flat pulleys is not a good idea. And also I need to add another support brace to my motor mount. Didn't like that dual V-belt setup to begin with, but research showed thats how some lathes were set up back in the day including this model. My original plan was to use the V-belts and upgrade to a serpentine belt setup if necessary. What I found out was even though my belts were brand new Gates Industrial A25 belts, they are really made to run in V grooved pulleys, further proven by Gates molding their ID markings into the bottom section of the belt which ends up being a raised portion of rubber coating (or whatever the material is). I removed those markings with a razor blade, which did offer some improvement. Again, I didn't like using them to begin with, especially as a pair since one belt always seems to stretch more than the other anyways.

Main issue. I found there are "hard" spots on the belts, mainly where the belt seams are joined together. Not an issue in a v-groove where the side walls are the area being gripped. But when these hard spots spin around a flat pulley, the bottom of the belt rises near those hard spots and causes a wobble. Wobble leads to vibrations. Vibrations at certain rpms were bad enough to make the lathe unusable at those speeds. No Bueno Carlos.

On order is a 6 rib Goodyear automotive serpentine belt 27.3" in length and an alternator pulley from a Mustang. The pulley has a bore of 17mm. It will get bored to 19mm (3/4"), a keyway cut and threaded for 2 set screws. Those two parts are only $25 combined. I can still use the lathe temporarily at certain speeds, so it will be used for the boring on the pulley.

View attachment 270590

Tire crayon to mark the hard spots. Used a dial indicator on the mount to watch the vertical movement when the hard spots came around the flat pulley. As much as 0.012" movement was recorded. Doesn't sound like a lot, but in person you can see it easily.

View attachment 270591

Fairly inexpensive lesson. Hope the new solution makes it right. :thumbsup:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven

View attachment 270590

View attachment 270591

Nice job man. I love the "something out of nothing" mentality you have. Learn it, fix it, make it work.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Nice job man. I love the "something out of nothing" mentality you have. Learn it, fix it, make it work.
    Hardest part is slowing myself down and working smarter not harder. Even if smarter means spending some extra money. My fabrication ideas and skills will hopefully improve as I go along. Much room for improvement.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County

View attachment 270590

View attachment 270591
    I should have told you that these older machines use flat belts.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I should have told you that these older machines use flat belts.
    You didn't need to tell me, I knew that. Have read that some people had no issues using v belts on flat pulleys. I thought I would try, despite my skepticism. The original configuration I got the lathe in seemed okay with that setup. But I think the use of the additional pulleys and countershaft helped smooth things out. And the belts were older and very worn in too. Since I'm going direct drive from motor to spindle I believe it's going to be more sensitive to abnormalities.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

View attachment 270590

View attachment 270591
    Once you get through fixing stuff, you'll be able to make stuff with the stuff you fixed.

I'm still amazed at each of your posts on this endeavor. You have a will to get it done, and figure it out. I tap out generally after I determine zip ties won't fix it, and while I may not understand a ton of the technical specifics, I can appreciate the ingenuity, work and will you put into this. Pretty cool stuff.

I expect with your ability to manufacture something out of pieces, along with you mechanical skills on cars, that an autobot should be busting out of your garage any day now. Call @Haven when you let it loose as I expect he would want to see it.

Oh, and once you get this whipped, you should take up 3D printing as another hobby.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom