THE CZickness L....Celebrating 50 threads with CZs, gunsmoke and serious discussion....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    :laugh: Computers were about 25 years away. :laugh:

4 or 5 years after my typing class, my BIL took computer classes at Purdue and they used punch cards to run programs.
    The computers at School were 8086s. My computer at home was a cutting edge 386. The classes were business computers classes. No one told me I could make money from my hobby. I didn't figure that out till the year after I graduated.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The computers at School were 8086s. My computer at home was a cutting edge 386. The classes were business computers classes. No one told me I could make money from my hobby. I didn't figure that out till the year after I graduated.
    Earlier than me. I was in college for my second try in 93 studying for respiratory therapy when I started using old 8086 computers for an English Comp class and became the guy who kept the computers working and taught the rest of the class to use them, even though I'd never touched a computer prior to taking the class. Switched my major to CIS and when I graduated in 96 I worked in IT until I switched to InfoSec in 2012.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Earlier than me. I was in college for my second try in 93 studying for respiratory therapy when I started using old 8086 computers for an English Comp class and became the guy who kept the computers working and taught the rest of the class to use them, even though I'd never touched a computer prior to taking the class. Switched my major to CIS and when I graduated in 96 I worked in IT until I switched to InfoSec in 2012.
    93 was my first computer job. Since then I have done everything from desktop support to Network Engineering, including InfoSec before it was called that. Too many jobs where it was This and That in IT.

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    Good morning All :coffee:

The only computer class we had was typing. We also didn’t have shop or machining classes. Instead we had a “Engineering and Technologies” class. We built simple circuits and programmed simple commands. We also built a CO2 car. Think like a pinewood derby car using a CO2 cartridge for thrust. An egg had to sit in or on the car and the goal was for the egg to survive the impact at the end of the track. Most cars failed! It was fun though.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    In my senior year, the school bought it's first computer. I was unimpressed with it. Within 5 years though, I had bought a computer and was teaching myself how to program.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    93 was my first computer job. Since then I have done everything from desktop support to Network Engineering, including InfoSec before it was called that. Too many jobs where it was This and That in IT.

93 was also my first computer job. Night time mainframe operator... :):

I did the same, mostly. Computer, telcom and network support for most of my 16 years, with a stint as a network admin in the mix. Strictly InfoSec since 2012, first with vulnerability management until 2015 when I went into vendor risk and have been doing that ever since. I much prefer InfoSec, mainly because I'm no longer operations, so I can work from home and have a very flexible schedule, with zero need for after hours support. I also like that it's not an area where you where multiple hats. I pretty much do one thing and one thing only. Since I like what I do, it works out well.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I spent the '80s working as an aircraft mechanic. Toward the late 80s, I did a stint with engineering and they were installing Macs for the engineers but nobody new what to do with them, so I helped them figure them out. In the early 90s, I was asked to join the Indianapolis maintenance base design team and again, boxes of new computers arrived, but nobody would touch them. PCs this time. For reasons lost to memory, our office was outside of the normal IT support system and we were on our own.

We had about 30 computers, Netware servers, token ring maus and caus but no support, so I took on that role and have been in IT ever since.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    :laugh: Computers were about 25 years away. :laugh:

I took typing class in High School too

They did have a Link to the Computer at the University -- You typed the program on OFF time which generated a Punched Paper Tape - then on Your scheduled ON time - you fed in the tape - it ran the Program and gave you a Results printout

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    This was the result of my first attempt to make coffee today. I forgot an important step in the process.

You know that you are getting old when you need to remind yourself to use coffee to make coffee
    1106b5a466a29f1b82056ccc2a038af4.jpg

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    This was the result of my first attempt to make coffee today. I forgot an important step in the process.

You know that you are getting old when you need to remind yourself to use coffee to make coffee
    1106b5a466a29f1b82056ccc2a038af4.jpg
    I did this once when I was still working in person. The other employees weren't too happy about it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom