T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    :coffee: Morning folks.

Thanks for all the car talk guys, I miss being a car enthusiast. I was already pondering a rear wheel drive V-8 powered car this year to replace my little girly car that I drive, this doesn't help.

Anyways, going to the range at 0800 and only taking the M1A to get sighted in and find out of the 5 brands of 308 which one it likes most. This will probably be one of the first trips in a long time where I only take one firearm to the range.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    428 is an FE block. Not a high revving unit by any measure.
    Yes, they can be made to run but the webbing around the mains are just not up to the task. Ford fixed this with the cross bolt main cap system in the 427's. Those were killers.
    Neither 1.....but enjoy......:):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlKkds2Lhx8

Suprised to hear this. I've always heard they were quick, if you could keep them running..... This one will be quick with a 440hp, 500ft lb, 440 ci, 4.10 gear in a 3500 lb car.

From what I'm told, fastest cars around these parts back in the day were BB Chevys. Guys I know talk about the cars that ran the streets here. Was only ever 2 hemi cars around that would give them a run. One inline 6 Chevy with a really steep gear that light to light beat out a lot of v8 cars. But for the most part it was the BB Chevy that ruled these streets.

We've had the pleasure of working recently on two FE fords. The other guy on our shop is a mechanical guru and engine expert. He did wonders with a 390 block. Guy wanted 500hp in his basically stock '67 Fairlane GTA convert. He got 500hp and 600 ft lb. Torque curve on that puppy was absolutely insane, started at over 500 at 1800 rpm and continued over 500 until 5500 when it ran out of gas. Was quite the little ground pounder and a handful to drive. Another guy had a '69 Torino Cobra 428 cobra jet. That was more of a stock build, but the car wasn't any slouch.

I think we may have run some people off with all this car talk......

Well it may be......FAST......but ain' gonna be quik, with'em gears......an' they IS a differnce, trus'me......:):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Suprised to hear this. I've always heard they were quick, if you could keep them running..... This one will be quick with a 440hp, 500ft lb, 440 ci, 4.10 gear in a 3500 lb car.

From what I'm told, fastest cars around these parts back in the day were BB Chevys. Guys I know talk about the cars that ran the streets here. Was only ever 2 hemi cars around that would give them a run. One inline 6 Chevy with a really steep gear that light to light beat out a lot of v8 cars. But for the most part it was the BB Chevy that ruled these streets.

We've had the pleasure of working recently on two FE fords. The other guy on our shop is a mechanical guru and engine expert. He did wonders with a 390 block. Guy wanted 500hp in his basically stock '67 Fairlane GTA convert. He got 500hp and 600 ft lb. Torque curve on that puppy was absolutely insane, started at over 500 at 1800 rpm and continued over 500 until 5500 when it ran out of gas. Was quite the little ground pounder and a handful to drive. Another guy had a '69 Torino Cobra 428 cobra jet. That was more of a stock build, but the car wasn't any slouch.

I think we may have run some people off with all this car talk......

Nah. Cars/guns/pretty woman.................................Love it.

My reference was to Factory offerings.
    A good running L79 could and would lay waste to a 383 road chicken and most every 428 rolling stock back in the day.
    Yes, the BB chevy was the hot ticket.
    We stuffed an LS-6 into a 1968 Nova. Tied the frames, 3.73 posi, M-22 Muncie, A good set of Hookers and that things was a bullet.
    Pulled the engine the 1st winter and let Schmidt do some internals. Holy mother that car was scary. It would beat my Hemi Dodge with regularity. I had nothing for it. And My Hemi was anything but factory.

I love the big body mopars like the Road Chicken and GTX's. The one you are doing will roll hard with a 440 in it.

Buddy has the absolute sweetest 67 Fairlane. Black with tan guts. He grew weary of running stock FE blocks so went after market FE with a stroked crank, Edelbrock heads and a Comp Hyd. Roller. 468 CI's and 536 HP at the rear wheels through a top loader 4 speed. That is a car I would snatch up right away if huge money crossed my trail.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    :coffee: Morning folks.

Thanks for all the car talk guys, I miss being a car enthusiast. I was already pondering a rear wheel drive V-8 powered car this year to replace my little girly car that I drive, this doesn't help.

Anyways, going to the range at 0800 and only taking the M1A to get sighted in and find out of the 5 brands of 308 which one it likes most. This will probably be one of the first trips in a long time where I only take one firearm to the range.

I need to start limiting what I take. Getting dialed in with a specific piece is a much needed exercise for me. I love bringing the entire contents of the safe to a shoot but less can be more.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Buddy has the absolute sweetest 67 Fairlane. Black with tan guts. He grew weary of running stock FE blocks so went after market FE with a stroked crank, Edelbrock heads and a Comp Hyd. Roller. 468 CI's and 536 HP at the rear wheels through a top loader 4 speed. That is a car I would snatch up right away if huge money crossed my trail.
    Yeah this guy wanted to use his numbers matching block, we told him he was stupid, had got to know him a bit before.... But in the end the only thing left from Ford was the block. Stroked 450 cube. The intermediate body and big body mid '60s Fords are quite the lookers. That car opened my eyes to the fact that Fords could be cool. :):

Morning everyone else.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Way to much on my plate to have any fun for a couple of weeks.
    3 furnaces in the shop that need to be addressed. Will be flat out with them well into next week.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Nah. Cars/guns/pretty woman.................................Love it.

My reference was to Factory offerings.
    A good running L79 could and would lay waste to a 383 road chicken and most every 428 rolling stock back in the day.
    Yes, the BB chevy was the hot ticket.
    We stuffed an LS-6 into a 1968 Nova. Tied the frames, 3.73 posi, M-22 Muncie, A good set of Hookers and that things was a bullet.
    Pulled the engine the 1st winter and let Schmidt do some internals. Holy mother that car was scary. It would beat my Hemi Dodge with regularity. I had nothing for it. And My Hemi was anything but factory.

I love the big body mopars like the Road Chicken and GTX's. The one you are doing will roll hard with a 440 in it.

Presumably headers and not the companionship and gratification staff? :):

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom