• Status
    Not open for further replies.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Yep, that is one very nice looking gun. The "busy-ness" of it is huge, but I still find it quite attractive. I got to shoot the one Okiegirl brought to my 1911 shoot at Parabellum last February and it was a lot of fun. That said, I'm still leaning more towards a DW Guardian for the clean, attractive lines. Hard to beat at around the same price as that Smith. Okay, the price is actually a bit more on the DW. I didn't realize you could get that Smith around $1100.
    Very accurate and sweet shooting gun!psyko

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That explains it. One of the monitors on my computer is refusing to come up this morning. The one that failed is a 26". This could mean a hit to the gun budget if it persists.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Is 10 a good idea on an older machine that is running 8.

I don't know. My desktop is running 7 and my laptop has 8. I think it's a moot point, though, because there is going to be a forced update to 10 at some point. One day we'll wake up and have 10 installed. We've got a thread about it somewhere here.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

I've updated 6 or 7 systems to Win10 and some of those have been quite old. I think Win10 actually runs better on some older equipment than Win 8 does. After living with it for several months now, I'm happy with it. If you are stuck in a world with Windows, it's not a bad way to go.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Morning all... :coffee:

That explains it. One of the monitors on my computer is refusing to come up this morning. The one that failed is a 26". This could mean a hit to the gun budget if it persists.

Sorry to hear that :(

It's better than 8/8.1 in a lot of ways and the information gathering you read about is already pushed down to Windows 8 for the most part. Take the custom install if you do it and you can turn some of it off (some of it turns back on and can't be turned off easily from what I understand). Personally I'd rather have Windows 7 (which I still have on my main PC).

I don't know. My desktop is running 7 and my laptop has 8. I think it's a moot point, though, because there is going to be a forced update to 10 at some point. One day we'll wake up and have 10 installed. We've got a thread about it somewhere here.

If you're set to have Windows install your recommended updates automagically, then yes, it'll happen next year. If you set Windows Updates to download the updates but let you choose when to do the installation, you can avoid Windows 10 by unchecking and hiding the update when it shows up, before letting Windows install the patches.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

I think you are right. Microsoft is talking about Win 10 being the last version of Windows released and from here on, it will be incremental updates just as Apple does them.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Looking back at this, it does stand as a testament to your comfort with the 1911 platform. If a gun points naturally enough for someone that sights only marginally improve shooting, then they have found the right gun for them. Maybe we should all give this a try. Tape our sights and then try to shoot for accuracy. It would be interesting to see the results.

OK *****es.....this gun, no sights on it....none

This group at 21'....2 mags

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom