Not open for further replies.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I think you are right. Microsoft is talking about Win 10 being the last version of Windows released and from here on, it will be incremental updates just as Apple does them.

I guess I should post a warning about avoiding Windows 10 like I mentioned above. Windows 7 will be supported by MS (patches) until Jan 14th, 2020, so it's safe to use until then, but not past that. Windows 8/8.1 support goes to Jan 10th, 2023. You'll have to have Windows 10 (or whatever is the number, if they change their minds), by those dates or have your Windows box unsupported (very bad idea now, much worse by that time I'm sure). Alternatively, you could move to Linux or MacOS.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I really do need to set up a dedicated Linux box and VM the windows sessions. Even if I have to buy a new license to run the Windows VM, it would be worth it in the long run when the system eventually needs to be refreshed.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I really do need to set up a dedicated Linux box and VM the windows sessions. Even if I have to buy a new license to run the Windows VM, it would be worth it in the long run when the system eventually needs to be refreshed.

Linux Mint has been working very well for me for the last couple of years. I can easily recommend it as an alternative.

at least Windows 10 is free

You did that wrong. Windows 10 is "free". There is a difference. There's no up front cost, but with the data they're collecting off of you, I don't think it can be considered free. Also, the plan seems to be to get everyone onto that version and then start charging for Windows as a service. $10 a month for Windows? What a bargain....not.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    WTB, have you had any luck with the 40P issues? I have not been able to make it out to the range to check out a stronger recoil spring yet. I have an 18lb Witness spring I'm going to cut a couple of coils off of to see if that helps, but have not done that yet.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    WTB, have you had any luck with the 40P issues? I have not been able to make it out to the range to check out a stronger recoil spring yet. I have an 18lb Witness spring I'm going to cut a couple of coils off of to see if that helps, but have not done that yet.

Nope, been a busy week. Might have a chance this weekend, but it might be the next. This is my last term in college (hopefully) and I'm buried in work :(

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Fixed the failure to battery issue.
    Pulled the ignition controls and did the set/polish routine. Trigger was at 4Lbs 10 Ozs. just putting the good parts in it with no love. Added a Clark 4 finger spring. It releases right at 3Lbs 8 ozs now.
    Put the pearce enhancements on it.
    Sent PM to AllenM that the slide will be back out there when the sites come in so he can cut it and fit them. Re-coat will be needed.
    This one has been a serious challenge.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Over $1k yet? Probably getting close to the price of a DW Heritage :):

What's the fun in that? I've owned some decent pistols, but the ones that make me happiest are the ones that I've helped to make them work well. I am always going back and forth on the issue of buying nice guns vs. buying decent guns and making them nice. In the end, the cost is somewhat similar, but I do enjoy improving a factory gun. But, the DW CCO sure is sweet and all I've had to do is shoot it.

Actually, maybe I'm happiest with the ones that I've tweaked because I cannot believe that they still work :dunno:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom