• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    So policies have nothing to do with it? No fiscal responsibility, small government....

I was giving you a quick and dirty way to tell. If you want to go into the technical aspects, feel free.

If your metric is fiscal responsibility and small government, you might as well consider everyone a democrat at this point.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I thought you wanted exemplars, not a complete list. Should have had Rand on my short list, too
    Nah. I'm just curious what people think a real Republican is. Isn't it kind of silly to say that somebody is a republican in name only, when pretty much all of the Republicans qualify? It sounds more like you guys are the RINOs, since you seem to be in the vast minority.

Does Trump qualify as a real Republican?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You betcha! He took control of the brand in a hostile takeover. Saved the designation from becoming as feckless and debased as Libertarian has

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

He won the Republican nomination. "Nomination" - Latin root "nominationem," meaning "a naming." So, Trump is very much a Republican in name.

ETA:
    The extent to which he hijacked the national party will be determined in the next cycle.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    You betcha! He took control of the brand in a hostile takeover. Saved the designation from becoming as feckless and debased as Libertarian has
    And this is where I was looking for what makes a REAL Republican. Which of those Real republican values does he represent?

And you didn't answer, who is the REAL Republican? I still think that the ones that make up the vast majority of the party must be the real ones.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    And this is where I was looking for what makes a REAL Republican. Which of those Real republican values does he represent?

And you didn't answer, who is the REAL Republican? I still think that the ones that make up the vast majority of the party must be the real ones.

"Put it on the camp. It's their camp now"

View attachment 87053

If you wish to argue about ideological purity, might I suggest it would be better to find a Libertarian to argue with

If you wish to argue about results, who has done better since Reagan?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Nah. I'm just curious what people think a real Republican is. Isn't it kind of silly to say that somebody is a republican in name only, when pretty much all of the Republicans qualify? It sounds more like you guys are the RINOs, since you seem to be in the vast minority.

I'd rank Trump as what a democrat used to be 30 years ago.

The overton window has just shifted so far that's now a republican.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I would say the average Republican is someone that is thoroughly disgusted by the policies and antics of the Republican Party to the point of being almost ready to quit voting for those idiots, only to have the Democrats do something so revolting that it reminds him/her of why he/she continues to vote for Republicans.

The end result of all of this is that someone like Trump is viewed as no worse than the norm regardless of which particular policies/antics one disagrees with.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom