Not open for further replies.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well, obviously, I posted prior to the evening presser. ;) Fauci had not been as available as previously, after giving an interview that was generally diplomatic but could've been taken badly by a sensitive narcissist authority figure.

Look, the fact that he's NOT sidelined is a good thing and - gasp - Trump may've actually left a subject matter expert in place, despite disagreements with him. That's newsworthy in itself.

ANSWER THE QUESTION

latest

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The number shall be 3. Four shall not be counted. Two shall only be counted if immediately followed by 3. And 5 is right out.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm for a directed effort. If it relates directly to a recovery, then it should be considered. However, I am not in favor of putting a couple trillion dollar plan together based on what we see at the moment. I don't agree with providing support to large, multi-national companies in non-strategic businesses. Cruise lines, hotels, airlines, are not strategic. Disneyworld is not strategic. If they need money, I can see that the government could assist in convertible debt financing while participating with the investment bankers. But, if you can't sell convertible debt without the guarantee, perhaps we shouldn't be backing them.

Employees should be protected with unemployment for some period of time. Say 3 months...or 6 months. We don't know enough about this crisis yet.

The poor should be helped as we always do.

Seniors....which is me and a lot of others, and the disabled, shouldn't get the $1200 checks. They don't get them now and have to get by. They can do so in the future. Perhaps we give the governors some discretionary funds to assist those we miss in this legislation.

OSHA legislation, student loan reconstruction,.....those are NOT COVID dependent and should be shelved or put into separate legislation.

I sound more like Hayek than Keynes here. But I believe Keynes would choke on the size of this proposal.

In addition, Wall St and S&P should not be bailed out. Banks should not either. This is not a monetary crisis. At least no one has shown me that it is. I could give a rats ass if the Dow falls 10,000. You want better taxation for long-term capital gains? Now you get to see that one of the reasons you get favorable taxes is RISK.

Actually, this part is not what I was getting at. I was thinking of the stuff that is totally not related to the relief of anything - the emission controls and carbon offsets on airlines, the tax credits for wind and solar, the reporting of racial/salary statistics of big companies... you know, all the SJW crap that has nothing to do with helping people that are directly affected by the pandemic, but for which they saw an opportunity to stick in the relief bill as a means to holding the bill hostage, people be damned. I know both sides try to insert their pet projects into bills on a regular basis, but IMHO it should not be done with critical and time-sensitive legislation like this.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Actually, this part is not what I was getting at. I was thinking of the stuff that is totally not related to the relief of anything - the emission controls and carbon offsets on airlines, the tax credits for wind and solar, the reporting of racial/salary statistics of big companies... you know, all the SJW crap that has nothing to do with helping people that are directly affected by the pandemic, but for which they saw an opportunity to stick in the relief bill as a means to holding the bill hostage, people be damned. I know both sides try to insert their pet projects into bills on a regular basis, but IMHO it should not be done with critical and time-sensitive legislation like this.

Yeah, that's sort of what I was getting at with "OSHA legislation, student loan reconstruction,.....those are NOT COVID dependent and should be shelved or put into separate legislation." If it doesn't relate to the current crisis, it shouldn't be in the bill.

That may be moot if the House accepts the Senate bill. We'll see.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah, that's sort of what I was getting at with "OSHA legislation, student loan reconstruction,.....those are NOT COVID dependent and should be shelved or put into separate legislation." If it doesn't relate to the current crisis, it shouldn't be in the bill.

That may be moot if the House accepts the Senate bill. We'll see.

:yesway: We're on the same page then.

I've not heard what's in (or out) of the bill that they allegedly agreed to last night or early this morning. Vote is supposed to happen this morning.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm glad you guys are tracking that. I don't have enough bandwidth to worry about it, or look forward to it since my family most likely isn't getting jack.

I see $3T and I just think, "Well, it started being funny money a long time ago." Those numbers don't really mean anything.

Well, overwhelming national debt for eternity, but other than that....

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Well, obviously, I posted prior to the evening presser. ;) Fauci had not been as available as previously, after giving an interview that was generally diplomatic but could've been taken badly by a sensitive narcissist authority figure.

Look, the fact that he's NOT sidelined is a good thing and - gasp - Trump may've actually left a subject matter expert in place, despite disagreements with him. That's newsworthy in itself.

Come over to the aurantiaco side

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I saw several social media posts from what I would describe as "Trump supporters" trolling people about cancelling the election, but it was pretty clear to me that trolling was what it was.
    I’ve heard stuff like that as well. It wasn’t said in a serious way, but given the lack of humor, woke twitteratti took it seriously.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    What will suck: with TV ad prices so low, I'm worried that candidates will start buying up air time.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What will suck: with TV ad prices so low, I'm worried that candidates will start buying up air time.

Are they low? It seems counter-intuitive, because viewing has generally increased. In some cases, a lot. So if viewership is tied to ad pricing, it seems ad prices would go up. But, there may be fewer advertisers willing to spend the money right now because of the contracting economy. So I guess I could see if there's lower demand for advertising, the increased viewership wouldn't mean much.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Are they low? It seems counter-intuitive, because viewing has generally increased. In some cases, a lot. So if viewership is tied to ad pricing, it seems ad prices would go up. But, there may be fewer advertisers willing to spend the money right now because of the contracting economy. So I guess I could see if there's lower demand for advertising, the increased viewership wouldn't mean much.
    That second thing.

Businesses want/need liquidity now. The ads they bought into the future are getting used up, and they aren't buying more (based on what I've heard). Heck, some of them aren't sure how long they'll be able to stay in business, period. No sense in advertising sales in a store that no one can come to.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

TV viewership may have increased in general but seriously decreased for me. I mainly watched sports and that is gone.
    I have no idea what is on that is worth watching? Any recommendations?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    TV viewership may have increased in general but seriously decreased for me. I mainly watched sports and that is gone.

I have been watching a few episodes of the Ken Burns country music doc from PBS. I hate what currently passes for country music, but I'm a big fan of the older stuff.

Bert Kreischer stand up specials on Netflix if you need a laugh. Tom Segura also, though his humor might not be liked by everyone.

If you're into racing, there's a doc on Netflix called the 24 Hour War. About the whole Ford/Ferrari rivalry at Le Mans. Also on Netflix, Uppity: The Willy T. Ribbs Story. Both by comedian Adam Carolla. Both great.

If you have Hulu, check out the series Justified.

The series Yellowstone, with Kevin Costner, is a good one. But you can't get it for free anywhere.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I don't watch anything but occasional local news. For entertainment I mostly stream. YouTube. Netflix. Amazon Prime. Disney. So I have no idea how much CV is impacting advertising. It's why I had to ask.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom