The 2017 General Political discussion thread, Part 2!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    In truth, we have no idea if the good folks in the upper levels of the Pentagon knew this was coming down the pike. Just because some mid level functionary didn't know it was coming doesn't mean a thing. Again, if Mattis knew the Pentagon knew.

Yeah, Ok.

Yet chaos still exists.

Hmm, sounds something like, smells something like.....

I know TRUMP!!

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    It's certainly not that big of a leap given the two people we're talking about. Do you really wish to compare who's more professional, Trump vs Mattis? Ok, how about who's the more adult, Mattis vs Trump? Give me a break.

That's not at all what I was referring to. You keep saying that "the Pentagon" was totally surprised by this. All I am saying is that we don't know that.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    What do you do with the existing troops? I think I saw it's around 14,000 soldiers. Do you pensions those out on a career path if they are over say 12 years? And those under some sort of stipend for 3 or 4 years, both groups receiving honorable discharges?

wasn't the policy changed to allow them less than a year ago? How many are in that long?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    It might be 4000. It's not like I have really looked all that deep into it. Anyways what do you do with them?

It might be 400 or 40...or less. My feeling is that the Pentagon has handled bigger policy changes in the past and done a pretty decent job of it. Let's see how they do on this one.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    It might be 4000. It's not like I have really looked all that deep into it. Anyways what do you do with them?

You are not known for posting unsubstabtiated info. I have no idea what the number is, but that seems WAY high to me.

How much does a (?) operation cost? The price of one is too much for me to foot the bill.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    First, I truly feel for transgender people. I cannot even begin to imagine what they go through.

Generally, they "hate" their identity and are frequently severely depressed requiring heavy medication and/or hormone therapy to gain a something "near normal" outlook on life. And I use "near normal" liberally to mean not in a near constant state of suicidal tendencies.

Without the political ramifications brought due to gender politics, their fitness to serve is very similar, IMO, to bipolar individuals. Depending upon the severity of depression and mood swings, the level of medication needed to approach a normal, healthy outlook on life, it affects their ability (though not their desire) to serve. Both (bipolar and trans) are chronic and severe. This decision has already been made for bipolar individuals as to "fitness to serve", so the same standard should apply, which typically involves medical retirement as "unfit".

https://www.militarytimes.com/pay-b...r-the-mind-bipolar-disorder-and-the-military/

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    I thought we were just having a conversation. It was almost normal. Oh well, I'm off to read the news while I eat lunch.

I thought so as well.

Sorry, but I just see this latest Policy by Tweet another one of those things Trump thinks he can do by the seat of his pants. I think the evidence already shows it. It's not by no means something anybody else was prepared for. H*** even Sarah Huckebee wasn't ready for it. Not that that is surprising, because Trump just reacts and acts. He often gives no thought or preparation to a good number of things he does. Don't get me wrong he has and he's has to plan and give thought, but there are many cases where he does not.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    First, I truly feel for transgender people. I cannot even begin to imagine what they go through.

Generally, they "hate" their identity and are frequently severely depressed requiring heavy medication and/or hormone therapy to gain a something "near normal" outlook on life. And I use "near normal" liberally to mean not in a near constant state of suicidal tendencies.

Without the political ramifications brought due to gender politics, their fitness to serve is very similar, IMO, to bipolar individuals. Depending upon the severity of depression and mood swings, the level of medication needed to approach a normal, healthy outlook on life, it affects their ability (though not their desire) to serve. Both (bipolar and trans) are chronic and severe. This decision has already been made for bipolar individuals as to "fitness to serve", so the same standard should apply, which typically involves medical retirement as "unfit".

https://www.militarytimes.com/pay-b...r-the-mind-bipolar-disorder-and-the-military/

Well thought out and stated as usual. I think I still tend to disagree because treating everyone as equals is so important to me. Equals in that everyone has their right to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Well thought out and stated as usual. I think I still tend to disagree because treating everyone as equals is so important to me. Equals in that everyone has their right to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

For a citizen of the United States, yes. For a serving member of the Armed Forces, no.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis

Your "general" description of trans falls well short of reality.

Like homosexuals a couple of decades ago, the majority of the trans community exists "in the closet". No one knows there is anything different between "them" and "us". Why should a person like that be automatically disqualified from serious consideration?

With an outright ban (all roles), trans people can still serve...but they cannot do it without lying.

Don't robust anti-fraternization rules accomplish a similar result without excluding potentially desirable recruits or forcing otherwise good people to lie?

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    For a citizen of the United States, yes. For a serving member of the Armed Forces, no.

I have to admit when in the Military and during Don't Ask Don't Tell I felt that way then. I've changed my mind. I admit I'm not a serving member now, but I have changed my mind.

Besides the most problems I saw then were with straight women and straight men. The problem was fratinization. The problem was not sexual orientation. If there's something diffrent with Transexuals serving then let's see that Military study. Let's not govern our reaction on spur of the moment political discions by Tweet.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bball4life1234
    Top Bottom