The 2017 General Political discussion thread, Part 2!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Florida voters unregistering from fear of Trump voter-data panel?

Local elections officials trying to convince some registered voters to stay registered

Articles claiming folks are unregistering for voting due to "privacy concerns." Is that really the case, or is it prosecution concerns?

One of the talking heads reported 4500 have unregistered. That is only the one's they can track so far.

Funny how when you actually hold folks accountable that they mysteriously fall in line? Border crossings/illegal immigration down 76%...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Florida voters unregistering from fear of Trump voter-data panel?

Local elections officials trying to convince some registered voters to stay registered

Articles claiming folks are unregistering for voting due to "privacy concerns." Is that really the case, or is it prosecution concerns?

One of the talking heads reported 4500 have unregistered. That is only the one's they can track so far.

Funny how when you actually hold folks accountable that they mysteriously fall in line? Border crossings/illegal immigration down 76%...

You're clear that can't actually be reliably calculated, right? I think deportations, is a better thing to cite... which certainly is good.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Im actually more concerned with voter suppression. Like instances were a state passes ID laws, and then starts closing D/BMV branches.

That's no more voter suppression than it is driver suppression. Or cigarette or beer suppression. Voting isn't the only thing IDs are used for. You'd have a point if they were Voter ID offices, specifically.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Or, if you want to disqualify an entire precinct, just tear the ballot bag.

The torn bags did not "disqualify" the precinct, it meant that the original count for the precinct held, no recount allowed. And, if you think about it, that is as it should be... because during the day and during the original count, multiple representatives of both parties are present, making overt cheating difficult. Sometime after every one leaves and goes home, the bag gets torn or the seal broken... yeah, that should not be re-counted.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    That's no more voter suppression than it is driver suppression. Or cigarette or beer suppression. Voting isn't the only thing IDs are used for. You'd have a point if they were Voter ID offices, specifically.

Well, there are certainly are more note worthy cases of widespread attempted voter suppression than voter fraud.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well, there are certainly are more note worthy cases of widespread attempted voter suppression than voter fraud.

I'm not sure you can say that's a fact though. You have to assume some facts not in evidence to say either is widespread yet both sides insist it is. You catch Republicans colluding with each other to do those things for the purpose of voter suppression and then you have a case. Just like the other side has to find some credible evidence that voter fraud is widespread. I think both sides tend to stretch the extent of each accusation.

Some states which tried to implement voter ID have been slapped down by the courts, but I think it's mostly because they're southern states and they face more scrutiny. But I do agree that some of those states laws tended to suppress votes, but you have to infer that there was an intent to suppress votes to say it went that far.

Indiana's voter ID law was ruled constitutional. But Democrats still ***** about it. Makes me wonder why they fight it so hard, because it does tend to make it difficult to cheat, while not making it all that difficult for legitimate people to vote.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm not sure you can say that's a fact though. You have to assume some facts not in evidence to say either is widespread yet both sides insist it is. You catch Republicans colluding with each other to do those things for the purpose of voter suppression and then you have a case. Just like the other side has to find some credible evidence that voter fraud is widespread. I think both sides tend to stretch the extent of each accusation.

Some states which tried to implement voter ID have been slapped down by the courts, but I think it's mostly because they're southern states and they face more scrutiny. But I do agree that some of those states laws tended to suppress votes, but you have to infer that there was an intent to suppress votes to say it went that far.

Indiana's voter ID law was ruled constitutional. But Democrats still ***** about it. Makes me wonder why they fight it so hard, because it does tend to make it difficult to cheat, while not making it all that difficult for legitimate people to vote.

When you have a state like North Carolina that almost has parity (in votes) between D's and R's, and yet the R's hold significantly more seats and a state voting map looks like a Picasso (nevermind the "interesting" laws passed) it's very difficult to come up with anything other than voter suppression.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    And Trump throws Sessions under the bus... again. Why? To get people's focus off his kids? Sessions needs to quit. He's looking like a chump... not to mention he has some horrible ideas for the DoJ.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Makes one wonder if McCain's brain condition wasn't a cause for his odd questioning of Comey at his hearing.

That's what I was thinking when I heard he had a tumor. He sure didn't act like he had all his faculties then.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    And Trump throws Sessions under the bus... again. Why? To get people's focus off his kids? Sessions needs to quit. He's looking like a chump... not to mention he has some horrible ideas for the DoJ.

Well, you kiss the ring of a bully and you invite getting bullied. I'd just as soon see Sessions go though. I am NOT happy about the asset seizure nonsense. But I suspect whoever Trump got to replace Sessions would just do the same thing.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    When you have a state like North Carolina that almost has parity (in votes) between D's and R's, and yet the R's hold significantly more seats and a state voting map looks like a Picasso (nevermind the "interesting" laws passed) it's very difficult to come up with anything other than voter suppression.

Well now you're talking about gerrymandering. And Dems do it too to some extent, but it's a favorite tactic of Republicans.

As far as districts go, I'd rather see them drawn such that it gives rural areas a bit more say. Especially in most states with one or two big cities, they end up having situations like Illinois where the whole state is mostly rural, but they all have to bow to Chicago politics.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central

Well nothing inappropriate about Trumps statement there. LOL

Sorry but almost anybody willing to volunteer to work for Trump gets what they deserve.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom