The 2017 General Political discussion thread, Part 2!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    B. Russia
    Czech invasion 1968

Sharp as a tack my man Brad is (no homo- not that there's anything wrong with that)... and that's not even counting Afghanistan, Georgia, Ukraine.

And heaven forbid if Russia ever pulled out of a nuclear pact... oh, wait.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I'd leave Vietnam off the list. The country was bifurcated in 1954 (?) by imperialist powers (yeah, you act like an imperialist and you will be called an imperialist) and reunified in the 70's.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    B. Russia
    Czech invasion 1968
    You forgot about Afghanistan and it wasn't technically "Russia" but the Soviet Union. "Russia" was an SFSR in that era, only one of the Soviet Union's dozen and a half or so internal republics. Since it was qualified by 50 years, that excludes Hungary in 1956. At the start of WWII, there was Poland in 1939, Finland in 1939 (Winter War), followed by Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia in 1940. While the West was distracted by Hitler's Germany, Stalin was invading and taking territory elsewhere.

ETA:
    I forgot about Manchuria and Korea in 1945, just before the end of WWII in the Pacific.

Invasion of Poland was seriously considered in 1981, but the Soviet Politburo realized it might trigger a direct confrontation with NATO. Look at a map of the era. East Germany (DDR) and Czechoslovakia, both part of the Warsaw Pact were directly between NATO and Poland. Let there be no doubt there were contingency plans for a NATO response if the NATO political leadership made a decision to intervene should the Soviet Union invade. This saber rattling from NATO signaled the Soviet Union it would be wise to keep out of it militarily. Instead, Yuri Andropov worked behind the scenes leaning all over the Polish communist government to get control at all cost, hence the military martial law that was declared and implemented by the Polish Army (without the Soviets).

John

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    A chief executive not enacting provisions required by Congress... on Russia? No way! Color me surprised...

355000-sens-mccain-cardin-scold-trump-for-missing-russian-sanctions-deadline

Maybe if they would get up off their dead asses and confirm enough second-tier appointees Trump would have enough people to get some work done.

Pop Quiz:
    "Who has invaded another nation within the past 50 years?"
    A. Iran
    B. Russia
    C. North Korea

You seem to be overlooking that while Russia has actually invaded. Iran and NK have both stayed home while financing, arming, and supplying local agents to do their dirty work for them, which in the end is just as troubling, and even more so if you factor nuclear weapons into the equation which may be supplied to God knows who.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'd leave Vietnam off the list. The country was bifurcated in 1954 (?) by imperialist powers (yeah, you act like an imperialist and you will be called an imperialist) and reunified in the 70's.

They invaded Cambodia in 1978 (post re-unification) and put an end to the Khmer Rouge

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Maybe if they would get up off their dead asses and confirm enough second-tier appointees Trump would have enough people to get some work done.

You seem to be overlooking that while Russia has actually invaded. Iran and NK have both stayed home while financing, arming, and supplying local agents to do their dirty work for them, which in the end is just as troubling, and even more so if you factor nuclear weapons into the equation which may be supplied to God knows who.

While what you say is true, and ALL three do what you said, I think your missing the point. Out of the list I provided, which nation has avoided the criticisms the others seem to be repeatedly given?

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I left Afghanistan out too obvious!

Don't forget the Iran Iraq war the US support for Iraq is not forgotten by Iran.
    I believe they might still be holding a grudge!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Don't forget the Iran Iraq war the US support for Iraq is not forgotten by Iran.

That's a pretty big one.... and let's not forget Saddam used gas during that war.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    If you are going to move this site from colloquial expression to formal High English, I wish you luck.

I refuse to debate a simple sentence.

Words mean things and... at least I'm not "requiring" someone to have a college degree to even post an opinion and happen to think that *** laude from Wharton is pretty darn good.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

That's a pretty big one.... and let's not forget Saddam used gas during that war.

Let's not forget that if Jimmy Carter hadn't been dumber than a sack of sh*t we wouldn't have a problem with Iran.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Let's not forget that if Jimmy Carter hadn't been dumber than a sack of sh*t we wouldn't have a problem with Iran.

Looking at the big picture, I'm curious how you think Jimmy Carter could have solved our Iran problem. I do agree that Carter was very weak with his response to Iran, but even if he had been more heavy-handed, his options certainly had limits, and certainly wouldn't IMO solved our problem.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Oh, I don't know. Sink 30% of their 'navy' and then blockade their ports. Then take control of their airspace and demand our hostages back?

Just a thought experiment

Give them a little taste of what war with 'the Great Satan' might really be like

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom