The 2017 General Political discussion thread, Part 2!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Do we know what the Federal government has and has not done? We have determined that the Navy is engaged. I'm sure FEMA is still engaged in Texas and Florida, are they suffering from a lack of manpower or resources related to that? What's the real story? Not because your usual "it's racism" theme isn't compelling. I'd just like to get some facts.

Yeah, we know 2200 soldiers both in PR and in ships. The retired general who oversaw Katrina, was on a few minutes ago, and he broke down all the assets available, not being used, and broke it down on how inept the situation has appeared to be handled. He thinks that the military should've been mobilized and a general appointed last week.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Yeah, we know 2200 soldiers both in PR and in ships. The retired general who oversaw Katrina, was on a few minutes ago, and he broke down all the assets available, not being used, and broke it down on how inept the situation has appeared to be handled. He thinks that the military should've been mobilized and a general appointed last week.

May I ask where, exactly, you saw this? CNN perhaps?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Here's the thing, on the 25th, the president said "Texas and Florida are doing great, but Puerto Rico, which is already suffering from BROKEN INFRASTRUCTURE, and massive debts is in deep trouble." So right there the president is apparently aware of the poor infrastructure in PR. One can deduce that's maybe an issue trying to get things to people in need. IMO, once you recognize the failings of a local govt, it's probably in your best interest to kick someone in the ass, and get the resources of the federal govt moving. But that's just me, I'm crazy of course.

Puerto Rico is an unincorporated, self-governing territory of the United States. What exactly is your point? Self governing means they dug the infrastructure hole they are currently wallowing in. They dug the debt hole they are likewise ensconsed in. I certainly would agree that we need to get help to those in need of it, but I am not so sanguine about completely rebuilding their infrastructure beyond the extent necessary to so render aid. Perhaps I missed the calls by Texas and Florida for the Federal Gov't to do the actual rebuilding rather than just make credit and resources available so those states can do it themselves. If PR's government is incompetent, I feel no more responsible for that than I do for the shortcomings of the government of Cook County. Either is entitled to basic help to recover from a disaster, not some kind of Marshall Plan. Perhaps now is the time to rethink those they have elected, as the governor's New Progressive Party has numerical, majority control of both the PR house and senate as well as holding the governorship. Thus total responsibility lies with the NPP for their current predicament

Perhaps the PR resident commissioner (their non-voting rep in congress) should take a knee on the house floor to protest the injustice of it all

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    So I gotta ask. After hurricanes hit the mainland, Trump temporarily lifted the Jones Act to allow Florida and Texas to receive humanitarian support from non-US owned/crewed vessels. Puerto Rico, has repeatedly asked that the Jones Act be lifted. As of the time of this post, the Jones Act has not been lifted, and American citizens are suffering. When asked why the Jones act has not been lifted to help the people of Puerto Rico, the president said "a lot of people that work in the shipping industry don't want the Jones Act lifted."

You gotta be kidding me, right? American citizens (one who happens to be a friend -and his family- from HS who is there for work,) are suffering because the president is considering the desires of the shipping industry? Absolutely shameful.
    I guess Puerto Ricans are only "Americans," compared to the real Americans in Florida and Texas.

Why has this not been lifted?

looks like i'm on a ignore list....:)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Do we know what the Federal government has and has not done? We have determined that the Navy is engaged. I'm sure FEMA is still engaged in Texas and Florida, are they suffering from a lack of manpower or resources related to that? What's the real story? Not because your usual "it's racism" theme isn't compelling. I'd just like to get some facts.

BA, from today's Washington Times. Tried to post this earlier from my phone unsuccessfully.

Puerto Rico recovery is addressed by Trump - Washington Times

Earlier this week, Puerto Rico’s governor was asked by a National Public Radio reporter how he would assess the administration’s response to Maria. The reporter may have been hoping for a different response, but Gov. Ricardo Rossello, who lines up nationally with Democrats, was having none of it. He said, “We are very grateful for the administration. They have responded quickly. The president has been very attentive to the situation, personally calling me several times. FEMA and the FEMA director have been here in Puerto Rico twice. As a matter of fact, they were here with us today, making sure that all the resources in FEMA were working in conjunction with the central government. We have been working together. We have been getting results.”

San Juan’s mayor has also praised the administration for its quick response and for the advance planning that had to have been behind the ability to respond as quickly as it did, and the island’s non-voting delegate in Congress agrees. Resident Commissioner Jennifer Gonzalez told a Politico reporter on Monday, “This is the first time we got this type of federal coordination.”

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I know the entertainment industry is racist and obviously appeal to the racial bias of the older generation (who watch a lot of TV) but their lack of concern for the good people of Puerto Rico is deafening in it's silence...

Where are the concerts for PR???

Where are the Public Service Ads asking for support and donations????

Where is the Clinton Global Foundation?????

Not one...NOT ONE NFL player used his status to appeal for help for PR....Just Tebowing along while PR starves....What a shame...I see them for who they are now...those helmets may as well be white hoods....

I have always suspected how racist the left and the Democrats are but this solidifies it...I mean sure they try to show "Christian Values" by Tebowing at football games to show solidarity with Christians but where are they now?????

Where is the money from all those 2 million dollar a year athletes who will kneel to show solidarity for Tim Tebow but won't open their wallets for PR who could sure use it...Do they not realize they are Americans too????

The shame...Hopefully the Clinton's can jump in and do a bang up job like they did in Haiti....

It must be race...It's got to be...I hear dog whistles...Everywhere...They are EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

(Sorry to get all emotional about this but I got my DNA results back and found out I am 1 percent Asian....I can now see racism...It's everywhere I tell you...Everywhere....)

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Even if it was absolutely true, it's difficult to believe the left's narrative on Puerto Rico. In their zeal to diminish the president, they have lied much more than they've told any semblance of truth.

Russia, Russia, Russia... ...Racist, Racist, Racist... ...Impeach, Impeach, Impeach...

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Puerto Rico is an unincorporated, self-governing territory of the United States. What exactly is your point? Self governing means they dug the infrastructure hole they are currently wallowing in. They dug the debt hole they are likewise ensconsed in. I certainly would agree that we need to get help to those in need of it, but I am not so sanguine about completely rebuilding their infrastructure beyond the extent necessary to so render aid. Perhaps I missed the calls by Texas and Florida for the Federal Gov't to do the actual rebuilding rather than just make credit and resources available so those states can do it themselves. If PR's government is incompetent, I feel no more responsible for that than I do for the shortcomings of the government of Cook County. Either is entitled to basic help to recover from a disaster, not some kind of Marshall Plan. Perhaps now is the time to rethink those they have elected, as the governor's New Progressive Party has numerical, majority control of both the PR house and senate as well as holding the governorship. Thus total responsibility lies with the NPP for their current predicament

Perhaps the PR resident commissioner (their non-voting rep in congress) should take a knee on the house floor to protest the injustice of it all

I fear there is a great deal you don't understand about Puerto Rico. I was on that island when in the service at Roosevelt Roads and visited most of the major towns and villages. It is easy to sit here in Indiana and expound on that which one believes to be true, but has no relation to reality.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I know the entertainment industry is racist and obviously appeal to the racial bias of the older generation (who watch a lot of TV) but their lack of concern for the good people of Puerto Rico is deafening in it's silence...

Where are the concerts for PR???

Where are the Public Service Ads asking for support and donations????

Where is the Clinton Global Foundation?????

Not one...NOT ONE NFL player used his status to appeal for help for PR....Just Tebowing along while PR starves....What a shame...I see them for who they are now...those helmets may as well be white hoods....

I have always suspected how racist the left and the Democrats are but this solidifies it...I mean sure they try to show "Christian Values" by Tebowing at football games to show solidarity with Christians but where are they now?????

Where is the money from all those 2 million dollar a year athletes who will kneel to show solidarity for Tim Tebow but won't open their wallets for PR who could sure use it...Do they not realize they are Americans too????

The shame...Hopefully the Clinton's can jump in and do a bang up job like they did in Haiti....

It must be race...It's got to be...I hear dog whistles...Everywhere...They are EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

(Sorry to get all emotional about this but I got my DNA results back and found out I am 1 percent Asian....I can now see racism...It's everywhere I tell you...Everywhere....)

Football islanders are Samoan. BASEBALL islanders are Puerto Rican.

Puerto Rican players across MLB help after Hurricane Maria - ABC News

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Football islanders are Samoan. BASEBALL islanders are Puerto Rican.

Puerto Rican players across MLB help after Hurricane Maria - ABC News

Thanks for posting that Alpo...It's good to see MLB getting involved...Samoan's are tough....Real tough folks....One of my wife's best friends is from Puerto Rico and she's having a hard time getting in contact with her family...

Beltran's teammate on the AL West champion Astros, star shortstop Carlos Correa, has spent much of the week consoling his mother, who has been hysterical since losing contact with her mother and father early Wednesday when the storm made landfall.
    Since the storm, Correa has been wearing two different pairs of custom cleats that feature the Puerto Rican flag to remind people of what his island is going through.
    "It's really tough," Correa said. "You're out here trying to show a happy face and play baseball every, single day and try to smile but inside I know that my family may be in trouble. I don't know where they are, what they're doing or how they are. So it's really tough to think about."
    Correa is collecting supplies and working with people in Puerto Rico to determine how best to get his donation to the southern part of the island where he's from. He's heard that supplies are slowly trickling into the northern part of the island but that transportation problems have made it more difficult to get aid to the area where he grew up.
    "Right now our hands are tied. No communication. No nothing," he said. "All we can do is try to gather as much as we can and when we can send, send it. This is a major disaster. It won't take months to recover. It will take years."

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Thanks for posting that Alpo...It's good to see MLB getting involved...Samoan's are tough....Real tough folks....One of my wife's best friends is from Puerto Rico and she's having a hard time getting in contact with her family...

Beltran's teammate on the AL West champion Astros, star shortstop Carlos Correa, has spent much of the week consoling his mother, who has been hysterical since losing contact with her mother and father early Wednesday when the storm made landfall.
    Since the storm, Correa has been wearing two different pairs of custom cleats that feature the Puerto Rican flag to remind people of what his island is going through.
    "It's really tough," Correa said. "You're out here trying to show a happy face and play baseball every, single day and try to smile but inside I know that my family may be in trouble. I don't know where they are, what they're doing or how they are. So it's really tough to think about."
    Correa is collecting supplies and working with people in Puerto Rico to determine how best to get his donation to the southern part of the island where he's from. He's heard that supplies are slowly trickling into the northern part of the island but that transportation problems have made it more difficult to get aid to the area where he grew up.
    "Right now our hands are tied. No communication. No nothing," he said. "All we can do is try to gather as much as we can and when we can send, send it. This is a major disaster. It won't take months to recover. It will take years."

Well I wish the news would cover something.
    Cause all I see is that it's all ______'s fault.
    But anything else??? Nope.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Well, there is you. You see it in everyone else but seem not to realize that you play that card continually.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom