The 2017 General Political discussion thread, Part 2!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So you don't have any issues when people disrespect Michelle Obama?

I don't know if you were around for that interaction, but I was making a point, because of how common it was to disrespect Michelle Obama. It wasn't an off the cuff remark. One member called MO a B****, so I called MT a whore. And obviously that wasn't taken well, solidifying my point.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Well I hate to pass up a chance to gut punch KUT.

But back to PR If you have not been to the island it's a "JUNGLE" and a "MOUNTAIN" and some beaches! There saved you the ticket price.
    Supplies are basically piled up on the beaches with nowhere and no way to get them out.
    PR is a poor country with the infrastructure you would expect from a poor country.
    It has crushing debt and is basically owned by the debtors.
    The relief effort is hampered by the incompetent local government.

We will have to rebuild most of the electrical grid and other things.

Lack of effective ports and road system.

WPS - Map of ports in Puerto Rico

Corruption rank

https://tradingeconomics.com/puerto-rico/corruption-rank

Electric Problems

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/02/...ritys-debt-is-rooted-in-free-electricity.html

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well I hate to pass up a chance to gut punch KUT.

But back to PR If you have not been to the island it's a "JUNGLE" and a "MOUNTAIN" and some beaches! There saved you the ticket price.
    Supplies are basically piled up on the beaches with nowhere and no way to get them out.
    PR is a poor country with the infrastructure you would expect from a poor country.
    It has crushing debt and is basically owned by the debtors.
    The relief effort is hampered by the incompetent local government.

We will have to rebuild most of the electrical grid and other things.

Lack of effective ports and road system.

WPS - Map of ports in Puerto Rico

Corruption rank

https://tradingeconomics.com/puerto-rico/corruption-rank

Electric Problems

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/02/...ritys-debt-is-rooted-in-free-electricity.html

The infrastructure exists to solve ALL those problems, post haste. If we were fighting on the island, provisioning an island 2200 miles away wouldn't be an issue.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I don't know if you were around for that interaction, but I was making a point, because of how common it was to disrespect Michelle Obama. It wasn't an off the cuff remark. One member called MO a B****, so I called MT a whore. And obviously that wasn't taken well, solidifying my point.

Wasn't me!
    I would never call a guy a B****.

Well.......

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    That's a pretty big, and distasteful, leap.

Why? Looking at this WH, and while I can't say for certainty that Trump is a racist, I can say with the utmost personal confidence that he actively seeks support from actual racists, and caters to the perceived biases of older white people.

Apparently the greatest nation in the history of the world, can't mobilize to save 3 million Americans 2200 miles away. Starving Americans EIGHT days after the end of the hurricane, shameful.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Why? Looking at this WH, and while I can't say for certainty that Trump is a racist, I can say with the utmost personal confidence that he actively seeks support from actual racists, and caters to the perceived biases of older white people.

Apparently the greatest nation in the history of the world, can't mobilize to save 3 million Americans 2200 miles away. Starving Americans EIGHT days after the end of the hurricane, shameful.

As to your second point, yes, it is shameful.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Also, the Navy seems to already be engaged at Puerto Rico for a while now. Including the hospital ship Comfort, and supplies.
    You might say it's less effort than another place, but is it?
    Effort of relief divided by square mile? or per person?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    It isn't just the government. I don't watch a lot of TV but after Harvey and Irma there seemed to be calls for donations everywhere one turned. After Maria there has been very little of that.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    KUT is correct we have the resources to the job.
    I have witnessed Army Heavy Engineers build a concrete bridge under mortar fire and Navy Seebees cut a road in the Jungle so thick you couldn't walk though.
    Water Purification units can produce amazing amounts of water quickly.
    What effect would a D9 bulldozer ripping around in somebody's back yard have?
    I think we may be facing a logistcal problem pushing supplies and support out of the ports both air and sea.
    Are there any reports of anyone starving?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    KUT is correct we have the resources to the job.
    I have witnessed Army Heavy Engineers build a concrete bridge under mortar fire and Navy Seebees cut a road in the Jungle so thick you couldn't walk though.
    Water Purification units can produce amazing amounts of water quickly.
    What effect would a D9 bulldozer ripping around in somebody's back yard have?
    I think we may be facing a logistcal problem pushing supplies and support out of the ports both air and sea.
    Are there any reports of anyone starving?

Here's the thing, on the 25th, the president said "Texas and Florida are doing great, but Puerto Rico, which is already suffering from BROKEN INFRASTRUCTURE, and massive debts is in deep trouble." So right there the president is apparently aware of the poor infrastructure in PR. One can deduce that's maybe an issue trying to get things to people in need. IMO, once you recognize the failings of a local govt, it's probably in your best interest to kick someone in the ass, and get the resources of the federal govt moving. But that's just me, I'm crazy of course.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    So I gotta ask. After hurricanes hit the mainland, Trump temporarily lifted the Jones Act to allow Florida and Texas to receive humanitarian support from non-US owned/crewed vessels. Puerto Rico, has repeatedly asked that the Jones Act be lifted. As of the time of this post, the Jones Act has not been lifted, and American citizens are suffering. When asked why the Jones act has not been lifted to help the people of Puerto Rico, the president said "a lot of people that work in the shipping industry don't want the Jones Act lifted."

You gotta be kidding me, right? American citizens (one who happens to be a friend -and his family- from HS who is there for work,) are suffering because the president is considering the desires of the shipping industry? Absolutely shameful.
    I guess Puerto Ricans are only "Americans," compared to the real Americans in Florida and Texas.

Why has this not been lifted?

better now?.....but i'm sure not fast enough....

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/arti...icken-puerto-rico-presses-for-shipping-waiver

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Here's the thing, on the 25th, the president said "Texas and Florida are doing great, but Puerto Rico, which is already suffering from BROKEN INFRASTRUCTURE, and massive debts is in deep trouble." So right there the president is apparently aware of the poor infrastructure in PR. One can deduce that's maybe an issue trying to get things to people in need. IMO, once you recognize the failings of a local govt, it's probably in your best interest to kick someone in the ass, and get the resources of the federal govt moving. But that's just me, I'm crazy of course.

Do we know what the Federal government has and has not done? We have determined that the Navy is engaged. I'm sure FEMA is still engaged in Texas and Florida, are they suffering from a lack of manpower or resources related to that? What's the real story? Not because your usual "it's racism" theme isn't compelling. I'd just like to get some facts.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom