Not open for further replies.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wonder who participates in polling? With most phones going to cellular numbers now, do people actually answer their phones anymore?

I screen every number that isn't recognized and most that are. I assume everyone else also takes full advantage of modern day communication tools?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wonder who participates in polling? With most phones going to cellular numbers now, do people actually answer their phones anymore?

I screen every number that isn't recognized and most that are. I assume everyone else also takes full advantage of modern day communication tools?

I participate because I know it will be counted. :) Well, usually I can tell.

I also generally tell the truth. If I'm an outlier, so be it. If I'm in the majority, well that's fine, too. I know that my responses will represent a significant number of people in my community.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, somewhat good news out of OH: HRC only up at about the margin of error. I still don't see how the numbers work out for her.

In the primary, she got 680k out of 1.2M Dem votes. Kasich alone got 950k on the Republican side, and Trump got 730k, of more than 2M votes. If HRC gets ALL of the Dem votes (which is unlikely), Trump only needs his own votes (incredibly likely) and half of Kasich's to win. If he gets that AND half of the other Republican votes, he wins.

I think.

As long as the polling is within or at the MOE.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    https://www.donaldjtrump.com/schedule

Campaign stops-
    Trump: VA, FL, PA. All eastern states he needs.
    Pence: OH and.... WI.

No recent polls from WI, but the primary results are pretty close. Trump must think it can be competitive, but I would be concerned about NC and GA getting away from you.

Unless they have internal polling showing something different, my gut tells me it should be reversed. Send Pence to the south, VA and FL and Trump to WI.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well, somewhat good news out of OH: HRC only up at about the margin of error. I still don't see how the numbers work out for her.

In the primary, she got 680k out of 1.2M Dem votes. Kasich alone got 950k on the Republican side, and Trump got 730k, of more than 2M votes. If HRC gets ALL of the Dem votes (which is unlikely), Trump only needs his own votes (incredibly likely) and half of Kasich's to win. If he gets that AND half of the other Republican votes, he wins.

I think.

As long as the polling is within or at the MOE.

Keep in mind that the people who vote in primaries are a different sort than the people who vote in general elections.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Keep in mind that the people who vote in primaries are a different sort than the people who vote in general elections.

Oh, no doubt. The final numbers will absolutely be different. But, I see it more as a barometer, especially since these were really contested primaries. The GOTV work will be really wacky.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So new poll at RCP shows a potentially curious development: Trump in a dead heat in Iowa, both 1-1 and in a 4 way race. IA went Dem in 2008/2012. (In fact, 2004 was the only year it went Republican since 2000.)

Now, in itself, it doesn't mean squat. Those 6 EVs are unlikely to decide the election as most of the midwest is already for Trump ... unless it portends a willingness in MN and WI to vote for Trump. Those 20 EVs would really help him if he loses PA or VA. If nothing else, it might make HRC protect places that would usually be her comfort zone.

ETA:
    Whoa! Just discovered this page at 2070towin:
    http://www.270towin.com/2016-polls-clinton-trump/

Better presentation than what RCP has, IMO.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Are you familiar with Nate Silver? He is a principal of FiveThirtyEight. Their reputation is founded on an extremely comprehensive record of correct predictions of political races all the way down to state and local levels.

That being said, there would be nothing to prevent the pollsters themselves from skewing their own polls if they were antiTrump, it just seems less likely

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Trigger Warning - this is from wikipedia

"Nathaniel Read "Nate" Silver (born January 13, 1978) is an American statistician and writer who analyzes baseball (see sabermetrics) and elections (see psephology). He is currently the editor-in-chief of ESPN's FiveThirtyEight blog and a Special Correspondent for ABC News. Silver first gained public recognition for developing PECOTA, a system for forecasting the performance and career development of Major League Baseball players, which he sold to and then managed for Baseball Prospectus from 2003 to 2009.After Silver successfully called the outcomes in 49 of the 50 states in the 2008 U.S. Presidential election, he was named one of The World's 100 Most Influential People by Time in 2009.
    In 2010, the FiveThirtyEight blog was licensed for publication by The New York Times. In 2012 and 2013, FiveThirtyEight won Webby Awards as the "Best Political Blog" from the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences.
    In the 2012 United States presidential election between Barack Obama and Mitt Romney, Silver correctly predicted the winner of all 50 states and the District of Columbia."

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I see your point, but then again, my grandma's dog could have called that one right. It defies my understanding how anyone thought nominating Romney was a good idea, especially in terms of 'punish Obama for Obamacare by electing the man who brought socialized health care to us first'.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If you were to drill down further you would find he called those races with extremely precise and accurate predictions of the actual vote percentages. He's not a pundit, he's more of a quant

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, 538 is in my rotation, but this cycle I'm more focused on the EC state polling. Dude's site seems more pop culturish.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just a reminder of what we are up against:

[video=youtube;0anCsKsvCSg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0anCsKsvCSg[/video]

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom