That didn't last long. ABC Cancels Roseanne after tweet about Obama aid.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Are you talking about Susan Rice?

I remember seeing something on social media back when the "unmasking" thing was a thing. Susan Rice just carried out the administration's strategy and that VJ was the architect.

Believable. But unsubstantiated.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hah, I just saw that she blamed the tweet on Ambien.

I'd have more respect for her if she just stood up and owned it rather than blaming drugs.

Her Twitter feed right now is just a wave of "MAGA" accounts praising her. Poor lost and misguided souls...

On some level they may be but just to wish we could get this ship back in the middle of the channel is not misguided.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I'd have more respect for her if she just stood up and owned it rather than blaming drugs.

Her Twitter feed right now is just a wave of "MAGA" accounts praising her. Poor lost and misguided souls...

I stayed out of the Rosanne thing on Twitter......Looks like Goodman has a combination of the Sads mixed with a bit of the mads.....I saw some of her tweets but not the ones that got her canned.....

0529-john-goodman-mega-9.jpg

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    On some level they may be but just to wish we could get this ship back in the middle of the channel is not misguided.

Misguided, as you use it, is a relative term.

(I was going to say extremely relative, but I wasn't sure anyone would get the joke)

I'm mostly referring to... she's not exactly a stable figure to hitch your wagon to. I think a lot of people are going to end up disappointed if they prop her up as some sort of messenger for the movement.

She's inconsistent, and slip-ups like this are probably going to keep happening in her future. It's a risky bet for those voicing their support.

I don't even dislike her as a comic. I've seen her on Norm McDonald's show, Howard Stern, etc... she's pretty funny when she wants to be. But she's also just another celebrity that wants to talk politics, and that rarely ends well.

I stayed out of the Rosanne thing on Twitter......Looks like Goodman has a combination of the Sads mixed with a bit of the mads.....I saw some of her tweets but not the ones that got her canned.....

Goodman's lost a lot of weight, good for him.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm a little confused about the ambien thing. That's really not a good explanation for anything.

If it removes inhibitions, and she posted a racist thing when not inhibited... doesn't that kinda mean she's - at some level - racist?

Or is it the idea that her baseline is to say something just for the shock value, and the lack of inhibition made her say a really racist thing "just for shock value."

But, if it is the latter, then... isn't it likely that the MAGA thing is for shock value, but there isn't the societal inhibition about expressing it?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm a little confused about the ambien thing. That's really not a good explanation for anything.

If it removes inhibitions, and she posted a racist thing when not inhibited... doesn't that kinda mean she's - at some level - racist?

Or is it the idea that her baseline is to say something just for the shock value, and the lack of inhibition made her say a really racist thing "just for shock value."

But, if it is the latter, then... isn't it likely that the MAGA thing is for shock value, but there isn't the societal inhibition about expressing it?

She also says she thought VJ was white.

Which still doesnt explain why she mentioned PotA.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

Yep, me too. Alcohol and drugs usually don’t change you, they reveal you

meth and LSD and crap like that is a different story

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Just a distinction. Whites weren’t oppressed as a race. There was all kinds of oppression. Just not for being white.

It's funny, during my college years - completely unintentionally and not within any larger SJ context - my friends and I 'took back' the (weak) epithet 'Whitey'

We further sub-defined the word to refer to a certain type of person, not necessarily white. It became about attitude rather than DNA

The modern 'whitey' (at least among my friends) likely drives an Audi, has a well turned out trophy wife (who also thinks he's an arrogant prick). He has a job he's quite proud of, a mcmansion and an inflated sense of self worth.

He's the guy trying to cut the line at Quikbucks or TSA because his time is so much more important than yours. Lord Darlington would recognize the type.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Observing those taking some of the sleep aids, it's not like being drunk in that it's just "lowered inhibitions". It's more like play-acting a dream. Much more nonsensical, much more random. No matter how drunk you get, you probably won't eat raw hamburger and put the ice cream from the freezer in the sink. You probably won't start "speaking in tongues" and try to drive to a home to a house you never actually lived at. Sleeping pills, these things become real possibilities.

I had an uncle kill himself within a week of starting taking a prescription sleeping pill. No signs of depression, no sickness, no financial troubles, no family troubles, dedicated father/grandfather/husband, etc. He came downstairs talking in a make-believe language and then shot himself in his head in front of his granddaughter.

A friend of mine did the raw hamburger/ice cream thing.

A second friend of mine started texting/facebooking people that he had just caught his wife cheating on him with his brother and a lot of other wild nonsense.

I think her post to be a bit too coherent for "Ambien posting", but people do very odd things taking those medications.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis

The Ambien defense worked for one of the Kennedy kids that was caught OWI. "I'm under a doctor's care and my legally prescribed drugs made me do it. I had no idea what I was doing."
    Seems like another celebrity tried to use it too but I can't remember who right now.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I’d like to encourage people to resist requiring acknowledgement of belief. Or, in other words, reqire disavowal-signaling. It’s fine to say that what Roseanne said was racist. You go beyond that to require other people to say your words too, to shame people for not saying it too, and that’s just not a good practice for public discourse. This is what the fringe right and the fringe left do. And I know saying Roseanne’s tweet is racist seems like a no brainer. But I think we need to draw the line on disavowal-shaming people. Make your case, sure. But people shouldn’t have to signal their disavowal to be considered “us”.

To an extent, I must disagree

The people looking for edge conditions, trying to make the point that there exists some extremely unlikely scenario wherein someone saying what she said, in the way she said it, might not always mean it in a racist way. They are saying something about themselves, and likely not what they think

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The Ambien defense worked for one of the Kennedy kids that was caught OWI. "I'm under a doctor's care and my legally prescribed drugs made me do it. I had no idea what I was doing."
    Seems like another celebrity tried to use it too but I can't remember who right now.

The usual celebrity crutch is "my account was hacked" when they say something they regret later. Blaming a drug is pretty close to that as far as how dumb it is.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    For what exactly? This isn't the first time that someone has brought this notion. I think now is the time to challenge it. I

For participating in a criminal conspiracy to unlawfully use the police powers of the government to spy on the campaign of another political party and suborn an election

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    He seems to be restraining himself from outright defending Roseanne... but the tweet is only 7 minutes old... he could still be typing more.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1001848460881035265

Trump said:
    Bob Iger of ABC called Valerie Jarrett to let her know that “ABC does not tolerate comments like those” made by Roseanne Barr. Gee, he never called President Donald J. Trump to apologize for the HORRIBLE statements made and said about me on ABC. Maybe I just didn’t get the call?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

Well, to me the difference is that there's nothing immoral about driving. Driving while impaired - maybe. (IMHO, depends on the results or the amount of increase in risk to others.)

To BBI's point, I get that it is a bit like entering a fantasy world. The couple times I've been on opioids for pain, I think I had that same sense, except I really didn't like it for the physical side effects. Yeah, it detached me from the pain - and other parts of reality - but not in a 'fun' way. (Someone told me that the people that get hooked tend to mix with other stuff, like alcohol. Never tried that; don't care to.)

Even so, to echo GPIAShfhvufhfuhghgngn, her tweets seemed pretty coherent and non-fantastical in other respects.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Which still doesnt explain why she mentioned PotA.

I take no position on Rosanne's intent, but I do remember a psychology professor (who was white) who looked and sounded remarkably like Roddy McDowall's wife in the POTA movies. I think it was mostly her hair style, and especially her habit of looking out at her class with that mouth-slightly-ajar look that the plastic face parts caused them all to have in those movies.

Top Bottom