• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 98cirrus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Goshen
    Wrong century perhaps? Sorry... I had to state the obvious.
    And I do agree with later comments, that atheism is a religion of it's own. Please don't get me wrong here.
    IMO There is no one religion that is greater than any other... sorry to let anyone down.

When I was a kid we'd argue batman vs superman vs spiderman vs hulk... not much different today imo.

So which one of them said" Love your Neighbor as yourself"?

98cirrus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Goshen
    [There is no one religion that is greater than any other... sorry to let anyone down.

When I was a kid we'd argue batman vs superman vs spiderman vs hulk... not much different today imo.QUOTE=churchmouse;6200801]:scratch:
    [/QUOTE]
    Sorry perhaps i was too cryptic. I think Robby is saying that his arguments as a child about batman vs superman vs spiderman vs hulk, aren't in his opinion different than arguments about one religion vs another. I was just wondering which of his superheros made the statement "Love your neighbor as yourself". Actually, the point I'd like to make is all "religions" make unique claims, that give them a philosophical difference. Kinda hard to say they are all somehow equal.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sorry perhaps i was too cryptic. I think Robby is saying that his arguments as a child about batman vs superman vs spiderman vs hulk, aren't in his opinion different than arguments about one religion vs another. I was just wondering which of his superheros made the statement "Love your neighbor as yourself". Actually, the point I'd like to make is all "religions" make unique claims, that give them a philosophical difference. Kinda hard to say they are all somehow equal.[/QUOTE]

Thought that may be the case but I wanted to be sure.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I think I see what you are getting at, but please understand: A lack of belief in gods (atheism) does not automatically equate to belief in the "big bang" theory of cosmology.

I can't speak for other atheists, but speaking for myself: I don't know exactly how the universe got its start...and I haven't lost any sleep over it so far. It really just doesn't matter to me...I'll never know for certain, and it doesn't affect my day-to-day functions in the least.

I got where I am spiritually by trying to answer persistant questions I had...I don't pretend to know any answers for certain.

You have either crafted a strawman for the purpose of argument, or you believe in one...either way, your statement does not hold weight.

PaulF---Destroying the "All Atheists are arrogant Evangelical D*cks" stigma one thoughtful post at a time......:yesway:

(I went on a Lawrence Krause binge this week....He actually makes Dawkins sound borderline civil...I know he is trying to sell books to an unsophisticated mass but geez dude...Do a little research and be prepared...I actually felt sorry for him a couple of times...)

Last edited:

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    This is why Trump is number 1 right now. Build a wall. It is unreal that we are going to FLY people and spread them around throughout the u.s. How will they get jobs? I dont even think they speak the language. It will takes years for them to learn our language, become somewhat educated to our ways(no idea how this can happen). The reality is that they will become dependent upon our govt taking our money and supporting them, for their entire lives. Its a ridiculous thing to do, but that is who our president is. A radical muslim sympathizer who hates the citizens of this country that dont vote democrat. Its that simple. This is political. Nothing more, this is used to paint republicans as racist and haters. Nothing more. Obama doesnt care who this hurts, because it helps him politically. Its awful and sick.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    This is why Trump is number 1 right now. Build a wall. It is unreal that we are going to FLY people and spread them around throughout the u.s. How will they get jobs? I dont even think they speak the language. It will takes years for them to learn our language, become somewhat educated to our ways(no idea how this can happen). The reality is that they will become dependent upon our govt taking our money and supporting them, for their entire lives. Its a ridiculous thing to do, but that is who our president is. A radical muslim sympathizer who hates the citizens of this country that dont vote democrat. Its that simple. This is political. Nothing more, this is used to paint republicans as racist and haters. Nothing more. Obama doesnt care who this hurts, because it helps him politically. Its awful and sick.

Not to worry, they'll end up attending mosques in various places that will provide them with direction and the means to have "meaningful" work. We might not like what uses to which they get put, but they'll be busy.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Sorry perhaps i was too cryptic. I think Robby is saying that his arguments as a child about batman vs superman vs spiderman vs hulk, aren't in his opinion different than arguments about one religion vs another. I was just wondering which of his superheros made the statement "Love your neighbor as yourself". Actually, the point I'd like to make is all "religions" make unique claims, that give them a philosophical difference. Kinda hard to say they are all somehow equal.[/QUOTE]

Here's how I look at it. admitting your a dick is better than sucking dicks and then telling everyone else theyre going to hell if they do that same thing. :):
    so what I'm saying is that I don't believe Christians are any better than atheist in the good person department. Everyone has flaws or "sins". Whatever you call it

It's not that all religions are the same across cultures; it's that all human failings are the same, over and over.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    So which one of them said" Love your Neighbor as yourself"?

Well, lutheran, catholic, pentecostal & baptist seemed to fit the bill (of which, I've been party to). When I was in 5th grade on the south side, at Clinton Young. They held Wednesday bible school (public school). And if you could recite the scripture they requested first, they'd give you a dollar. Nothing says praise the lord like awarding you money for the fastest lookup on the good book. I asked my parents for tabs on my bible, so that I could get to the scriptures faster, so I could earn a dollar and all.
    My parents pulled me out of bible school.... me and one other kid sat it out each week. We wrote on a notepad 100 times, whatever the hell it was the teacher asked us to, so as to occupy our time. It wasn't any sort of punishment... it was just to keep us busy is all.

Forgive me if I don't subscribe to any religion... christian, or otherwise. It's why I don't jump to conclusions re: any religion. I won't tell anyone they can't believe what they wish to believe in.

But in regards to your question of "Love your Neighbor as yourself", I believe it was the crusades... which I was referring to. But you are welcome to look up the spanish inquisition, salem witch trials, etc... any fit your criteria

I want to be very clear here. The distinction between muslims and syrian refugees are very different for me.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Well, lutheran, catholic, pentecostal & baptist seemed to fit the bill (of which, I've been party to). When I was in 5th grade on the south side, at Clinton Young. They held Wednesday bible school (public school). And if you could recite the scripture they requested first, they'd give you a dollar. Nothing says praise the lord like awarding you money for the fastest lookup on the good book. I asked my parents for tabs on my bible, so that I could get to the scriptures faster, so I could earn a dollar and all.
    My parents pulled me out of bible school.... me and one other kid sat it out each week. We wrote on a notepad 100 times, whatever the hell it was the teacher asked us to, so as to occupy our time. It wasn't any sort of punishment... it was just to keep us busy is all.

Forgive me if I don't subscribe to any religion... christian, or otherwise. It's why I don't jump to conclusions re: any religion. I won't tell anyone they can't believe what they wish to believe in.

But in regards to your question of "Love your Neighbor as yourself", I believe it was the crusades... which I was referring to. But you are welcome to look up the spanish inquisition, salem witch trials, etc... any fit your criteria

I want to be very clear here. The distinction between muslims and syrian refugees are very different for me.

For the sake of historical correctness, I have to point out that the Crusades and the Spanish Inquisition were both responses to hostile invasion. Witch trials, not so much.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    For the sake of historical correctness, I have to point out that the Crusades and the Spanish Inquisition were both responses to hostile invasion. Witch trials, not so much.
    Fair enough... 'response' to hostile invasion... ignoring how far that response was carried. I'm no expert, so I will agree to disagree here.
    Point being... Syrian Refugees (or any other refugees) has little to do with their religious affiliation. I understand it can be part of the legal process when exiting a country. I'm not sure it (any religion) takes precedent over christianity. I'm sort of 1a that way.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Fair enough... 'response' to hostile invasion... ignoring how far that response was carried. I'm no expert, so I will agree to disagree here.
    Point being... Syrian Refugees (or any other refugees) has little to do with their religious affiliation. I understand it can be part of the legal process when exiting a country. I'm not sure it (any religion) takes precedent over christianity. I'm sort of 1a that way.

As a matter of general principle, we wouldn't be very far apart, for convenience disregarding the issue that we aren't in a position to absorb refugees of any stripe. My problem starts at the point where the potential refugees in the greatest need (i.e., those most likely to be used by ISIS as human torches) are NOT appearing and a glut of young fighting-age males ARE appearing, and religion comes into play when one considers that it is the primary reason for the existence of ISIS.

Spanish expulsion?

*Dave pauses to work through the things he is thinking, most of which would get him banned from INGO*

What is so difficult about understanding that Spain was invaded by a hostile foreign force which imposed a different culture, a great deal of oppression, and made life miserable on Spaniards for a very long time, and when able, the Spaniards kicked their asses out and didn't five a flying f**k about being nice about it?

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    As a matter of general principle, we wouldn't be very far apart, for convenience disregarding the issue that we aren't in a position to absorb refugees of any stripe. My problem starts at the point where the potential refugees in the greatest need (i.e., those most likely to be used by ISIS as human torches) are NOT appearing and a glut of young fighting-age males ARE appearing, and religion comes into play when one considers that it is the primary reason for the existence of ISIS.

*Dave pauses to work through the things he is thinking, most of which would get him banned from INGO*

What is so difficult about understanding that Spain was invaded by a hostile foreign force which imposed a different culture, a great deal of oppression, and made life miserable on Spaniards for a very long time, and when able, the Spaniards kicked their asses out and didn't five a flying f**k about being nice about it?

They apparently don't teach that in history class anymore, Dave.

I bet if you pointed out that invading Muslim armies were defeated as deep inside Europe as Tours, France, and Vienna, Austria 90% of the people out there would look at you like you were crazy.

BTW, the battle of Tours? 732 AD. First Crusade wasn't until several hundred years later. So yeah, they were in response to a long train of abuses by Islamic caliphates, including massacres and enslavement of Christians on pilgrimage to Jerusalem.

Another fun fact? The existence of Islamic SS divisions and the Mufti of Jerusalem's involvement in planning for the death camps.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    They apparently don't teach that in history class anymore, Dave.

I bet if you pointed out that invading Muslim armies were defeated as deep inside Europe as Tours, France, and Vienna, Austria 90% of the people out there would look at you like you were crazy.

BTW, the battle of Tours? 732 AD. First Crusade wasn't until several hundred years later. So yeah, they were in response to a long train of abuses by Islamic caliphates, including massacres and enslavement of Christians on pilgrimage to Jerusalem.

Another fun fact? The existence of Islamic SS divisions and the Mufti of Jerusalem's involvement in planning for the death camps.

Rep nazi says I have been too generous today. I guess I will have to catch you tomorrow!

Top Bottom