• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Whose going to make sure the men are gay and does confirming their sexual preference equate to them not being a terrorist?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Is not the "gay men" specifier a form of anti-muslim profiling???
    Or are they saying that all straight men from Syria are terrorists?

I was speaking more concerning the exclusion of single men. But given that Islamic fundamentalism doesn't hold homosexuality in the highest regards, it's a better than average bet that gay refugees aren't terrorists. How you figure that out, I'm not sure. Dance contest and fashion show at customs?

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I was speaking more concerning the exclusion of single men. But given that Islamic fundamentalism doesn't hold homosexuality in the highest regards, it's a better than average bet that gay refugees aren't terrorists. How you figure that out, I'm not sure. Dance contest and fashion show at customs?

I get why the Canadians are taking this approach. I still think, as you say above, that the devil is in the details on this one...

So Achmed the Syrian terrorist gets to "take one for the team" before he can get into Canada to do his nefarious deed and blow himself up or something.

What could possibly go wrong?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Okay...and no women are terrorists? I thought I had read about women wearing bombs in some of the news stories.

You're dealing with leftovers from chivalry. Women and children in the lifeboats first.
    And percentages. While there are women terrorist, odds are if you meet a terrorist, it will be male.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I think generally, philosophy as a discipline for seeking truth is superior to religion.

As others have said, yours was a quality post.

I would add that, as a biologist, I think that basic evolutionary biology can teach us a lot about why we do what we do. Some believe that many (if not most or all) of our personal and cultural behaviors have a root in evolution.

It's easy to see how the urge (and ability) for conquest can provide a survival advantage for a people. It's also easy to see how the urge for tolerance and trade with other cultures can do the same thing. Those of us here on the planet carry the genes of those people who did what they did, and survived to pass those traits on to us. We are the result of many tens of thousands of years of physical and cultural evolution.

And, for those who believe that zenophobia is also an evolutionary urge that we inherited from our long-ago ancestors, couldn't we see the recent events in France as evidence of how that could also have a survival advantage in some circumstances as well?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Okay...and no women are terrorists? I thought I had read about women wearing bombs in some of the news stories.

You're dealing with leftovers from chivalry. Women and children in the lifeboats first.
    And percentages. While there are women terrorist, odds are if you meet a terrorist, it will be male.

Plus, to think radicalized islam festers only in the minds of men, is dangerous.

Top Bottom