• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This is how the terrorists won. They've made us a fearful nation. 319 million people scared out of their minds over 10,000 refugees which will have gone through a long and arduous screening process which doesn't even guarantee individuals will be allowed to settle here. The fear is setting in and it's causing people to consider ideas and actions that we fought against in the past.

For what reason do you support admitting them? Do we exist for their benefit? If not, how does this improve the United States?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is how the terrorists won. They've made us a fearful nation. 319 million people scared out of their minds over 10,000 refugees which will have gone through a long and arduous screening process which doesn't even guarantee individuals will be allowed to settle here. The fear is setting in and it's causing people to consider ideas and actions that we fought against in the past.

I do agree. But the numbers I have heard are far higher than 10K. 7.5X that. Who do we believe. Way to much confusion.
    Seriously.....our Gov. can not begin to control the flow from the south. They are short on staff and overwhelmed. Who is going to arduously see these people are vetted. It is an opportunity to grow Gov. Agency's attempting to control this tide. This will cost us billions before it is over and the process will be full of holes, greed and graft. That is how it works. JMHO of course.
    I do understand the fear. Yes, 9/11 has forever changed the soul of this nation.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    CUTfitjU8AAB37u.png:large

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    That would be considered sexist now... you must hope that the girl will chase you.

:rofl:
    "a long and arduous screening process"
    :rofl:

So.
    Normal government processes are known to take just shy of forever.
    Various agencies are always saying things are backed up due to a lack of manpower and money.

But suddenly, they can follow a "a long and arduous screening process", in a SHORT time????
    Usually when I've seen that happen, there's been pressure from above to skip steps and speed things up.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg

The same kind of screening process those from Mexico go thru?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

I am NOT "scared" ..... I have a gun, and will use it ..... IF I get the chance ..... Can't beat a hidden bomb .....

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Wow. A lot of catching up to do in here.
    Been doing some reading, and I've got to say the refugees are the least of my concerns. The vetting process is about as exhaustive as it can get. It may be difficult to obtain as much background info in the middle east, but the vetting process monitors them throughout the waiting period. And it's random as to where the family goes (except preference is given towards countries where other family members may reside). It's pretty clear that of all options, this one is the least successful method for terrorist infiltration.

Asylum Seekers (not much different, except they've landed on our shores already, and then claim asylum) is a long process as well but should be given more scrutiny imo. These are mostly what is found in Europe because of the open borders policy, and the proximity of those nations (as opposed to swimming across the ocean to get onto US soil)

People on visa's are probably of more concern than the former two.
    So, I'm no longer on the fence on the issue, and don't have a problem with refugees anymore than I'd have a problem with the gazillion's of people who came to the US to help make America what it is.

Fear is certainly at the forefront. Trump asking for ID's, tracking and paper checking is just out of control. Did he really think that'd be a good idea? Some candidates mentioned NSA being 'handcuffed' with their current surveillance methods. Yeah, not much interested in giving up anymore liberty for security there.

If a family devotes 1-3 years of their life waiting for another random country to let them in, passing the screenings and background checks, then I am not about to be prepared to say they're a terrorist just waiting to happen. I won't join the left to play 'thought police' like when anti gunners feel every gun owner is a mass shooting just waiting to happen.

Economically, I still feel we have problems here at home where money would be better spent, than going out of our way for some 'feel good' additional immigration.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    I do not think the surrounding country's want all of those young men roaming there either. Nothing but trouble can come from that.

That very well may be true.

I think the irony shown in this thread is that preventing refugees from settling in the US is actually a liberal idea because the conservative, or traditional idea, is that we accept them with open arms. Plus the cries for somehow identifying, possibly with a symbol on their clothing, and subjecting them to random searches and rounding them up for relocation are all things that happened in Nazi Germany. Based on what has been posted in this thread I really don't think this is far off the mark. How big will the government become in order to vet, process and keep an eye on these refugees?

This issue is making a lot of people irrational and fearful.

The .gov should not get bigger, I think the issue for many resides in the circumstances that have taken place. I truly think if 9\11, the war on terror, rise of Isis, etc. Never occurred and these refugees consisted more of families, instead of able bodied men then many more would be open to it. If our financial problems as a country didn't exist, and trust for government was higher, more would probably be for it. However our situation right now doesn't fit the bill.

I understand the sentiment, but thinking of our own is not irrational. Its being protective. Many are not afraid of terrorists, they simply would rather avoid having them here. I'm not saying all these people are terrorists, simply saying the potential exists for there to be a few out of however many refugees.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wow. A lot of catching up to do in here.
    Been doing some reading, and I've got to say the refugees are the least of my concerns. The vetting process is about as exhaustive as it can get. It may be difficult to obtain as much background info in the middle east, but the vetting process monitors them throughout the waiting period. And it's random as to where the family goes (except preference is given towards countries where other family members may reside). It's pretty clear that of all options, this one is the least successful method for terrorist infiltration.

Asylum Seekers (not much different, except they've landed on our shores already, and then claim asylum) is a long process as well but should be given more scrutiny imo. These are mostly what is found in Europe because of the open borders policy, and the proximity of those nations (as opposed to swimming across the ocean to get onto US soil)

People on visa's are probably of more concern than the former two.
    So, I'm no longer on the fence on the issue, and don't have a problem with refugees anymore than I'd have a problem with the gazillion's of people who came to the US to help make America what it is.

Fear is certainly at the forefront. Trump asking for ID's, tracking and paper checking is just out of control. Did he really think that'd be a good idea? Some candidates mentioned NSA being 'handcuffed' with their current surveillance methods. Yeah, not much interested in giving up anymore liberty for security there.

If a family devotes 1-3 years of their life waiting for another random country to let them in, passing the screenings and background checks, then I am not about to be prepared to say they're a terrorist just waiting to happen. I won't join the left to play 'thought police' like when anti gunners feel every gun owner is a mass shooting just waiting to happen.

Economically, I still feel we have problems here at home where money would be better spent, than going out of our way for some 'feel good' additional immigration.

Always the calm voice of reason.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It would take then too long to get to their goal, if they even made to the US, and not some other country, and made it past the vetting process. Much easier to try gaining access other ways.

Wow. You really are hung up on this ****. You seem to want them here. Why? Is it really better for them to be whisked away to live in a country half-way around the world that they probably don't even like, and hope to integrate them with a culture they probably don't understand? Doesn't make pragmatic sense. I'm pretty sure it's ideological.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Wow. You really are hung up on this ****. You seem to want them here. Why? Is it really better for them to be whisked away to live in a country half-way around the world that they probably don't even like, and hope to integrate them with a culture they probably don't understand? Doesn't make pragmatic sense. I'm pretty sure it's ideological.
    It's all about the votes. Just like all of the "immigrants".

Top Bottom