• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    They are paperweights in the case, deadly weapons when in a persons hands.

Never heard reports of firearms going off when not being touched? Erma 22 Lugers? Remington 700s?

The deadly weapon thing goes for knives, pens, tampons, etc. Paperweights until touched. But how many threads are started on proper pencil skills?

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Cops suck!

Well, someone had to say it in this thread otherwise there would be a thread on INGO that doesn't say it. I just thought I would say it here since there is plenty of other BS in here already.

ETA - I posted here (it's like forum graffiti)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wonder how many folks claiming that it's "normal" to have guns pointed at you in a shop also have their own issues with the four rules?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Wonder how many folks claiming that it's "normal" to have guns pointed at you in a shop also have their own issues with the four rules?

I'm not sure, but I would also ask how many people who are always complaining about being swept continue to frequent gun shops and local ranges?

I get what people mean, but it's IMPOSSIBLE to operate a gun shop full of patrons without someone being swept. I'm not talking about someone taking aim at me and seeing if the sights are straight. I'm talking about a salesperson giving a gun to a prospective buyer and the buyer giving it back. How can this be done, unless the shop is empty and there is no one to the left or right of either person? if there are people in the shop, someone is getting swept, even if it's on the buyer and seller sweeping themselves.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... it's IMPOSSIBLE to operate a gun shop full of patrons without someone being swept...

I don't agree, but one way or another the complacency that develops from this belief is the cause of what didn't have to happen to the OP.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I don't agree, but one way or another the complacency that develops from this belief is the cause of what didn't have to happen to the OP.
    Yup!!
    IMO.....
    Sweeping someone is about the same as texting while driving.
    It seems harmless to the person doing it, until someone gets killed because the person doing it had their head up their ass. :noway:

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    I'm not sure, but I would also ask how many people who are always complaining about being swept continue to frequent gun shops and local ranges?

I get what people mean, but it's IMPOSSIBLE to operate a gun shop full of patrons without someone being swept. I'm not talking about someone taking aim at me and seeing if the sights are straight. I'm talking about a salesperson giving a gun to a prospective buyer and the buyer giving it back. How can this be done, unless the shop is empty and there is no one to the left or right of either person? if there are people in the shop, someone is getting swept, even if it's on the buyer and seller sweeping themselves.

Good point, but consider:
    No one has ever been under my feet in a gunshop or at a gun show. Keep muzzles pointed straight down while manipulating slide, safety, trigger, etc and when passing the weapon between clerk and customer, and you have successfully inspected and evaluated said weapon without sweeping half the western hemisphere. If it is a long weapon, and you need to shoulder it, you take it into the corner and raise it facing into the corner. If this is inconvenient then you aren't serious about purchasing said item, so quit wasting everybody's time.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Good point, but consider:
    No one has ever been under my feet in a gunshop or at a gun show. Keep muzzles pointed straight down while manipulating slide, safety, trigger, etc and when passing the weapon between clerk and customer, and you have successfully inspected and evaluated said weapon without sweeping half the western hemisphere. If it is a long weapon, and you need to shoulder it, you take it into the corner and raise it facing into the corner. If this is inconvenient then you aren't serious about purchasing said item, so quit wasting everybody's time.

Yep, I get this too and it can be done. The gun will need to be in the case pointing toward the ground. When it's taken out of the case, checked, given to the buyer, inspected by the buyer and returned to the salesperson, all while pointing straight down. However, every store I've been in has the gun pointed in a direction other than straight down while in the case. Some even have them sitting diagonal so they sweep the buyer when retrieved.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

Is the OP scared for life now? Is he emotionally devistated? Does he have to see a physiatrist and get medication?

Twice on my drive home tonight I had deer jump infront of me. They could have went through the windshield and made some Final Destination type death scene with my head rolling down the street. I went to a mall today and bought a couple shirts, I had to get on an escalator and once again, Final Destination type death.

But on your daily drive to and from work, do you think how unsafe something is and how many times you could die in a 10 minute span? Or do you just move on with life?

Guns are dangerous, I think we all accept that. So, since we all accept that, can we get over getting swept every once in a great while? The only way to avoid it is if a person gets their own FFL out of their home and they never go anywhere.

I've had many of unloaded guns and loaded guns pointed at me (all by people who said they were unloaded). I'm still here, I still love shooting, let's move on and get the panties out of a bunch. Be safe, practice it, and if you're in a place and you're not comfortable just leave.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is the OP scared for life now? Is he emotionally devistated? Does he have to see a physiatrist and get medication?

Twice on my drive home tonight I had deer jump infront of me. They could have went through the windshield and made some Final Destination type death scene with my head rolling down the street. I went to a mall today and bought a couple shirts, I had to get on an escalator and once again, Final Destination type death.

But on your daily drive to and from work, do you think how unsafe something is and how many times you could die in a 10 minute span? Or do you just move on with life?

Guns are dangerous, I think we all accept that. So, since we all accept that, can we get over getting swept every once in a great while? The only way to avoid it is if a person gets their own FFL out of their home and they never go anywhere.

I've had many of unloaded guns and loaded guns pointed at me (all by people who said they were unloaded). I'm still here, I still love shooting, let's move on and get the panties out of a bunch. Be safe, practice it, and if you're in a place and you're not comfortable just leave.

Again, with trying to convince that the four rules don't apply?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper#Firearms_safety

The deer cannot be educated. The MCSports clerk can be educated, the others that think it's OK to sweep can be educated, and hopefully you can be too sir. :yesway:

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Again, with trying to convince that the four rules don't apply?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper#Firearms_safety

The deer cannot be educated. The MCSports clerk can be educated, the others that think it's OK to sweep can be educated, and hopefully you can be too sir. :yesway:

I don't think it's OK, I'm just saying it happens and we move on.

And you're under the assumption that anyone can be educated. Hell, you tell a lot people that there is more than 1 type of .22LR out in the world and they think you're crazy.

I'm a firm believer that the most important safety is your head, if you know for a fact that a firearm is unloaded, because you've worked the action several times, you looked into the chamber, if the magazine is out, etc. If you KNOW a firearm is unloaded, then it is unloaded, and it is a paperweight at that point.

Maybe I'm "reckless" with the rules (guidelines), maybe I realize that if a firearm in my hand is unloaded one second it's not going to be loaded the next unless I do something.

I guess I've just had too many guns pointed at me, unloaded and loaded, to get my britches bundled up anymore. That doesn't mean I go around pointing a gun at everybody and their uncle, but that also means that when (not if, it's a when) I get swept, that I'm not going to faint or commend the person with their actions.

Stuff happens, people learn from their mistakes, they move on. It's life.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen

This ^^^^^^^^^^^ :yesway:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If I left and never returned to any shop that I have been muzzle swept at I would have no place to hang out anymore and spend my money on guns & stuff.....really.

Top Bottom