• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.

2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (For those who insist that this particular gun is unloaded, see Rule 1.)

3. Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. This is the Golden Rule. Its violation is directly responsible for about 60 percent of inadvertent discharges.

4. Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.

Those will do. We need all four and we do not need five. It should not be necessary to belabor this issue, but life is not perfect.

– Jeff Cooper, Commentaries, Volume 11, Number 4. "

I happened to pick up a Guns & Ammo magazine from August 1984 in the local half price books this afternoon as it had an article on the Bren Ten I wanted to read. It was educational, as I was not aware that Cooper was a consultant on the development of that pistol, but what was also interesting is that on page 41 of that magazine is a picture of Cooper standing between two other people, all (including Cooper) holding Bren Tens and pointing them directly at the person to their immediate left. Fingers were off triggers, but as much as I hear Cooper quoted on this topic, it was almost shocking to see him pointing a gun directly at the head of the person standing next to him smiling. No real purpose of noting this other than to say that even Cooper has swept at least a few folks.

In any case, I also do not appreciate being swept and poor safety/gun handling practices in gun stores. I'm sure some of it happens quickly and I don't notice every instance, but when someone does it repeatedly without even any cognizance of their actions it usually prompts me to move or if that is not an option say something. It is also just one of the reasons I stay away from the 1500.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I saw a guy checking out a Ruger at Gander Mtn. today. He did a decent job keeping the muzzle pointed at the floor, but his finger was in love with that trigger.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I saw a guy checking out a Ruger at Gander Mtn. today. He did a decent job keeping the muzzle pointed at the floor, but his finger was in love with that trigger.

Was he trying the trigger out (i.e. dry fire in a safe direction)? I always ask if I can dry fire a pistol before I do it, but when checking out a potential purchase, I want to try out the trigger (pointing in a safe direction and after confirming the gun is cleared).

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Was he trying the trigger out (i.e. dry fire in a safe direction)? I always ask if I can dry fire a pistol before I do it, but when checking out a potential purchase, I want to try out the trigger (pointing in a safe direction and after confirming the gun is cleared).
    No, he wasn't dry firing, just coonfingering. At least if there were an ND he would have shot his own feet.

Top Bottom