2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    drive-me-closer_-i-want-to-hit-them-with-my-sword.jpg

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    oh, well im glad you can scrape by on $46,000 a year. I know people who live on half that a year. your wife probly works too? or are you single? thats a VERY good living in the U.S. right now, plus you have job security. I DEFFINATLY think public servants should make more (firefighters more than cops) but i dont feel the least bit sorry for a cop that says $46K a year isnt living high on the hog. maybe your living beyond your means?

I am glad you enjoy your job.
    So...how much do you make a year? I figure since you slammed him for what he makes...you won't mind sharing?

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    So...how much do you make a year? I figure since you slammed him for what he makes...you won't mind sharing?

i wasnt slamming him for what he makes. I was complimenting him and saying he makes good money. I dont slam anyone for what they make. if you make $5 an hour then you should be proud because your earning money and have a job.

I dont talk about personal income with my close friends and family, so im not gonna do it on the internet. what a person makes and spends is their own business to share or not to share. im not sharing. nor does it matter what i make pertaining to this conversation. im not a cop. I never ask a person what they make. Its bad manners.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    i wasnt slamming him for what he makes. I was complimenting him and saying he makes good money. I dont slam anyone for what they make. if you make $5 an hour then you should be proud because your earning money and have a job.

I dont talk about personal income with my close friends and family, so im not gonna do it on the internet. what a person makes and spends is their own business to share or not to share. im not sharing. nor does it matter what i make pertaining to this conversation. im not a cop. I never ask a person what they make. Its bad manners.
    You'll excuse me for a few moments while I go re-read that and see how I can squeeze a compliment out of it.

oh, well im glad you can scrape by on $46,000 a year. I know people who live on half that a year. your wife probly works too? or are you single? thats a VERY good living in the U.S. right now, plus you have job security. I DEFFINATLY think public servants should make more (firefighters more than cops) but i dont feel the least bit sorry for a cop that says $46K a year isnt living high on the hog. maybe your living beyond your means?
    Nope...I don't see it...but I'm sure it's there somewhere.

Last edited:

MPD179

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    How long have you been a cop?

October 29th will be 15 years as a full-time sworn LEO. Prior to that I worked 2 years as a reserve LEO (non-paid), for experience & to get my foot in the door. It was a hard job to come by then, especially when you have absolutely no political connections.

Just so most folk know, $46k year in this area is bottom of the barrel for our pay. In fact we are third from the bottom out of 17 agencies in Lake County. When I started we use to be in the top 5 for pay & benefits.

If you cross the border into Illinois, LEO pay for a first class patrolman is $75k per year with unlimited overtime. Those guys pull in six figures a year! :draw:

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    October 29th will be 15 years as a full-time sworn LEO. Prior to that I worked 2 years as a reserve LEO (non-paid), for experience & to get my foot in the door. It was a hard job to come by then, especially when you have absolutely no political connections.

Just so most folk know, $46k year in this area is bottom of the barrel for our pay. In fact we are third from the bottom out of 17 agencies in Lake County. When I started we use to be in the top 5 for pay & benefits.

If you cross the border into Illinois, LEO pay for a first class patrolman is $75k per year with unlimited overtime. Those guys pull in six figures a year! :draw:

Yeah but they have to take out loans to bribe the alderman to get the job.

A buddy of mine is a town marshall in central indiana. He said it used to cost $5K to get a PD job in Lake County.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    You'll excuse me for a few moments while I go re-read that and see how I can squeeze a compliment out of it.

Nope...I don't see it...but I'm sure it's there somewhere.

thats a VERY good living in the U.S. right now, plus you have job security.

I dont know how I could have been anymore clear? do you drive a police car or ride the short bus?

I took his comment that I replied to as whinning about his pay, which I consider a decent wage. I was saying he makes more than a lot of people and with that amount of a paycheck, anyone who doesnt live beyond their means should be able to have a nice life.

Last edited:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I understand and honestly agree with you, my question is, are you saying the problem is the individual officers or the SOPs?? That's really what I'm curious about, how do we fix the problem? Are departments not training guys properly or are they hiring too many scared weenies who can't handle not having an army behind them? Or maybe they're hiring too many rambo wannabes? I don't know, but I've seen a lot of trash talk and strong opinions in this thread but no real discussion of what is the root of the problem and how to fix it. Being an a-hole when confronted by police won't fix it. Stopping former military personnel from becoming cops wont fix it. is a better hiring process needed? Maybe reworking the profile of what makes a good officer? I'm curious.

And I'm not saying coming home is more important than protecting freedom, just that I know covering mine and my comrades' backsides would be a high priority.

That seemed low from what I know.

Here in Colorado Springs you can look up all city employees' pay. Median police income here is about 60K. Some lower, some higher of course. I think new cops make around what you're making.

I appreciate that you understand some of the other benefits to the job. I hate hearing public employees complain about their pay, whether teachers, cops or whoever. People stand in line to get those jobs.

One of the great things about this country is that if you don't think you're paid enough you're always welcome to find someone who'll pay you more. If you can't find someone who'll pay you more, well, you just learned something about what your skills are worth on the market. It's a beautiful thing.

Top Bottom