Stopped by Terre Haute PD for OC'ing -- On a Date!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

O2guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    MSG2
    Sec. 5-72 (Page 5-28, which is 194 of 830 in the PDF)
    Property Damage; Use of Firearms; Alcohol Prohibited - Exceptions.
    No person shall break, injure or damage any tree, shrub, plant or flower, or break, pull off or remove any flower, or damage in any way any building, structure or fixture, article or thing connected with or in any public park, public parkway or public boulevard of the City, or have or bring therein any firearm, fireworks, intoxicating liquor or any instrument of or for gambling of any kind or nature whatever except that upon proper resolution of the Terre Haute Parks and Recreation Board with the following exceptions:

Does this mean roads in the city or in the parks? The "or" to me means you cant do the above on boulevards or have firearms. Am I not interpreting this correctly?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    It was only the audio. I haven't looked into where I could host that audio. Kinda figured it wasn't worth the trouble, but perhaps I'll at least look into it.

Come to think of it, though... there was no reason I couldn't've used the video camera instead of just the mic. Man, I'm sure learning a lot by posting this and talking through it with everybody! Next time I'll record video, not just audio. Added bonus: hosting video is easy.

Video will use up a lot more memory, which means you'll be able to record less time.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    im not impressed with the cops. why didnt you just remain silent man??

I would asked the jackball that tapped on the gun if he would like me to tap on his gun with my flashlight and to stop touching me.

If you werent sure if it was legal to carry there, then thats your second hint to: SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND DONT SAY ANOTHER WORD except ..... am I being detained??

The statement highlighted in red seems to contradict the rest of your post. I agree with your sentiment, but if one were to in fact excercise their right to remain silent, this attitude would not get you very far.

Don't get me wrong, I would feel exactly that way.....but you wouldn't really say those things and then clam up, would you?:dunno:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Sec. 5-87
    Penalty.
    Unless otherwise provided, any person violating any provisions of this Article shall be financially responsible for any necessary repairs and other costs associated with the proper restoration of public facilities. Any person violating any of the provisions of this Article shall be fined not more than Three Hundred Dollars ($300.00). Each day’s continued violation shall constitute a separate offense. (Gen. Ord. No. 16, 1997, 12-11-97)
    While I am not a lawyer, it looks like this covers all of the Sections in the Article (ARTICLE 5. PARK RULES AND REGULATIONS. from Sec 5-70 to 5-87). So you could be fined up to $300, that is all.

Demo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    You could send the audio straight to YouTube from your phone.

Unless I research it and prove to myself I just assume all city or township parks in IN are no carry zones. Sad that's it's that way.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    The statement highlighted in red seems to contradict the rest of your post. I agree with your sentiment, but if one were to in fact excercise their right to remain silent, this attitude would not get you very far.

Don't get me wrong, I would feel exactly that way.....but you wouldn't really say those things and then clam up, would you?:dunno:

hey im not perfect. Yes I would have said that and then clammed up and remained silent. They dont have the right to go around touching people, especialy with a weapon. and yes those lights are weapons, and they are trained (or use to be) to use them as such.

if the guy was breaking a rule then give him a ticket. there was too much yapping by everyone here. (no offense meant to you OP) also they had ZERO right to even talk to the girl and ask her anything. my wife also knows not to talk to the cops, and Im teaching my daughter the same thing. kids have BIG innocent mouths, and my daughter knows daddy always carrys a gun. thats the last thing i need coming out of her mouth when Im being harrassed by cops trying to get in my bizniatch.

would an arrest seriously have been appropriate here? of coarse not. heres where we get back to police wasting time on small stuff and harrassing joe blow when they could be doing real police work, like finding marijuanna :rolleyes:

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    hey im not perfect. Yes I would have said that and then clammed up and remained silent. They dont have the right to go around touching people.

if the guy was breaking a rule then give him a ticket. there was too much yapping by everyone here. (no offense meant to you OP) also they had ZERO right to even talk to the girl and ask her anything. my wife also knows not to talk to the cops, and Im teaching my daughter the same thing. kids have BIG innocent mouths, and my daughter knows daddy always carrys a gun. thats the last thing i need coming out of her mouth when Im being harrassed by cops trying to get in my bizniatch.

would an arrest seriously have been appropriate here? of coarse not. heres where we get back to police wasting time on small stuff when they could be doing real police work, like finding marijuanna :rolleyes:

:laugh:Hey, I have no argument there. I'm pretty sure that I would handle it in a similar fashion........the only problem I would have is the whole "silent" thing;) Knowing when to keep my mouth shut is not my forte.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    mk, you could attempt to convert the audio file to a video file format and upload to photbucket. Never tried that but i think it would work

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Sec. 5-72 (Page 5-28, which is 194 of 830 in the PDF)
    Property Damage; Use of Firearms; Alcohol Prohibited - Exceptions.
    No person shall break, injure or damage any tree, shrub, plant or flower, or break, pull off or remove any flower, or damage in any way any building, structure or fixture, article or thing connected with or in any public park, public parkway or public boulevard of the City, or have or bring therein any firearm, fireworks, intoxicating liquor or any instrument of or for gambling of any kind or nature whatever except that upon proper resolution of the Terre Haute Parks and Recreation Board with the following exceptions:

Does this mean roads in the city or in the parks? The "or" to me means you cant do the above on boulevards or have firearms. Am I not interpreting this correctly?

You're interpreting the list incorrectly.

I was going to diagram the sentence (like we learned back in elementary school), but decided instead that you'll just have to take my word for it. The "or" goes back to the verb helper "shall". "No person shall (break, injure, or damage ...), or (break, pull off, or remove...), or (damage...), or (have or bring therein...)."

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    there was too much yapping by everyone here. (no offense meant to you OP) also they had ZERO right to even talk to the girl and ask her anything. my wife also knows not to talk to the cops, and Im teaching my daughter the same thing.

Agreed. Too much talking. Especially by me.

I did manage to use the occasion as a teaching opportunity with my date, discussing OC/CC and about how if I'd been CC'ing, nobody would've been any the wiser, and we'd've been just as safe. I also addressed the foolhardiness of victim-disarmament zones (aka "gun-free zones" by non-gunowners). Always open to hearing what else I/we could do better next time, though.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

would an arrest seriously have been appropriate here? of coarse not. heres where we get back to police wasting time on small stuff and harrassing joe blow when they could be doing real police work, like finding marijuanna :rolleyes:

They have the same right to talk to the girl as anyone else does. Of course she could ignore them like she could anyone else, but no rights are being violated by an officer speaking to her. Seriously, where do you come up with this stuff?

I think the bottom line is that the OP was unknowingly breaking a city ordinance and the cops didn't hit him with a fine for it. Could have gone better, could have gone worse. It's a shame that there is a city ordinance against firearms in city parks but that's an issue to take up with the city council/mayor/etc.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    HOLD ON, STOP THE TRAIN!!!

I think everyone is getting wrapped around the axle on the wrong facts here...
    Let me see if I understand this right...
    You were on a date?! I am calling BS. Pics or it never happened!

I was on a date on Thursday night, during which I OC'd at Carosi's Italian Restaurant, Fairbanks Park, and the AMC-12 theatre -- all in Terre Haute.
    The most important part? There's gonna be a Date #2. :rockwoot:
    On a side note good luck with Date #2...

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    HOLD ON, STOP THE TRAIN!!!

I think everyone is getting wrapped around the axle on the wrong facts here...
    Let me see if I understand this right...
    You were on a date?! I am calling BS. Pics or it never happened!

On a side note good luck with Date #2...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

DANGIT NO I DON'T HAVE NO PICS! But I do have that audio recording with her voice on it! Now I guess I *have* to figure out how to post that. Plus, I have the receipt for the movie tickets - for two people!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom