Stopped by Terre Haute PD for OC'ing -- On a Date!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think this is one of these situations where remaining courteous and cordial is the best plan. Turns out you were carrying illegally. If you had made it adversarial the odds of getting arrested or ticketed would have gone up. That is just human nature.

dhdoug

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    hancock county
    hats off to you brother for your calm head. i am not one who makes good arguements on the fly. just dont seem to be wired that way. i know this was not an arguement, just a phrase.. but i just know that i would have got flustered and said who knows what. and i certainly dont have the verbal skills/ knowledge that joe w. may have to properly deal with that. SO ANYWAY...nice job and good luck with the next date.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    im not impressed with the cops. why didnt you just remain silent man??

I would asked the jackball that tapped on the gun if he would like me to tap on his gun with my flashlight and to stop touching me.

If you werent sure if it was legal to carry there, then thats your second hint to: SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND DONT SAY ANOTHER WORD except ..... am I being detained??

Yeah, the fact that he tapped on it with his flashlight made me REALLY upset. Between that and the fact that I wasn't going to disarm, I made the decision that we were just going to leave altogether.

Once they had my licenses and, more importantly, my sidearm, I didn't think the "Am I being detained?" prompt was necessary. I'm pretty sure I was being detained at that point. No way was I gonna leave without those items, either.

Shutting up... yeah, I probably should've. Like I mentioned, that was my stopped-by-cops-for-carrying cherry getting popped that night; hopefully I'll have a little more of my wits about me and will remember that "don't talk to the police!" video I've watched a couple times.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I only see one victim in this ordeal.

But you didn't give us her name or age. :D

Heh, heh, by design, my friend. :cool:

I think this is one of these situations where remaining courteous and cordial is the best plan. Turns out you were carrying illegally. If you had made it adversarial the odds of getting arrested or ticketed would have gone up. That is just human nature.

:+1:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I do not believe that the officers were "running" the LTCH, I don't think that is something they can do anyway. I believe that they were doing a simple warrant check on his DL, in which case it was perfectly legal. He was stopped for carrying a firearm in a restricted location, he could expect to have his ID run for warrant checks when he was stopped for said violation.

Yup they can, about a year and a half ago I was in Castleton completing a FTF transaction with another INGO member (selling some ammo to him)
    When the GIMP up there (filling in for normal officer, he informed us) took my ID and LTCH and called it, didn't disarm me, but was standing right there when he called it in and got back the ok from dispatch on both counts.

He came over a little brash and abbrasive but was not a richard and even asked me if I had any ammo for a (if I remember right) Romanian Dragonov. Told him nope, only domestic.:D

Handed my DL and LYCH back and he was on his merry way.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I do not believe that the officers were "running" the LTCH, I don't think that is something they can do anyway. I believe that they were doing a simple warrant check on his DL, in which case it was perfectly legal. He was stopped for carrying a firearm in a restricted location, he could expect to have his ID run for warrant checks when he was stopped for said violation.

Of course, if it is NOT a restricted location, then everything after confirming the LTCH, was against recent Indiana court rulings...

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Of course, if it is NOT a restricted location, then everything after confirming the LTCH, was against recent Indiana court rulings...

Sort of off-topic, but,

Joe Williams referenced this too, can someone link to the text of the court rulings? The only one I can find said that the LTCH was not justification to search a vehicle, I'd like to read the others though.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I'm looking right now. Here's a link to the city code, in case anybody else wants to look through it with me: Terre Haute City Code — City of Terre Haute Government

Sec. 5-72 (Page 5-28, which is 194 of 830 in the PDF)
    Property Damage; Use of Firearms; Alcohol Prohibited - Exceptions.
    No person shall break, injure or damage any tree, shrub, plant or flower, or break, pull off or remove any flower, or damage in any way any building, structure or fixture, article or thing connected with or in any public park, public parkway or public boulevard of the City, or have or bring therein any firearm, fireworks, intoxicating liquor or any instrument of or for gambling of any kind or nature whatever except that upon proper resolution of the Terre Haute Parks and Recreation Board with the following exceptions:

There are no exceptions for licensed carriers of handguns. Looks like I was in violation of the city code many times this summer! Concealed means concealed.

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I'm not gonna high-five anyone here, but the cops seem to have done you a solid. They enforced the code and didn't issue you silver bracelets. I'm not saying I agree with the law, but it seems like the cops did give you a fair shake. Good job on being coherent and polite.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Any chance of getting the video posted? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see it. I'm sure there are lessons to be learned from it.

It was only the audio. I haven't looked into where I could host that audio. Kinda figured it wasn't worth the trouble, but perhaps I'll at least look into it.

Come to think of it, though... there was no reason I couldn't've used the video camera instead of just the mic. Man, I'm sure learning a lot by posting this and talking through it with everybody! Next time I'll record video, not just audio. Added bonus: hosting video is easy.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I'm not gonna high-five anyone here, but the cops seem to have done you a solid. They enforced the code and didn't issue you silver bracelets. I'm not saying I agree with the law, but it seems like the cops did give you a fair shake.

I walked away with the same impression, which is confirmed now that I've realized I _was_ in violation of the city code.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I think everybody outta have a gun personally, but, in the park, at an alcohol event, absolutely not. (I had no idea it was an alcohol event until he said that!)

c. Alcoholic beverages may be served and used at Fairbanks Park by permit only.

I wonder if they checked the event for a permit as well. :dunno:

:):

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    It was only the audio. I haven't looked into where I could host that audio. Kinda figured it wasn't worth the trouble, but perhaps I'll at least look into it.

Come to think of it, though... there was no reason I couldn't've used the video camera instead of just the mic. Man, I'm sure learning a lot by posting this and talking through it with everybody! Next time I'll record video, not just audio. Added bonus: hosting video is easy.

I don't know how to host audio, other than maybe uploading it to a site such as Youtube and posting a link. :dunno:

With an IPhone you should be able to take video and audio next time. The first time is a hell of a learning experience :D

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Considering that you were carrying in violation of the city code I think the cops did a decent job. #2 cop didn't even sweep you when he unloaded your gun.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom