Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edporch
    Though I was never a fan of Apple, I'm STILL very sorry to see Steve Jobs die at such a young age after suffering like he no doubt did.
    My condolences to those who knew him personally.

Those are my sentiments. Although I always found Mac computers to be an over priced commodity, I just never bought the product, I never bashed it. The iPod and iPhone have made them quite a bit, and those I do enjoy. I send my condolences to his family and friends.
    -Snip-

My main objection to Apple is how they've always used a closed architecture approach to their products.

For example, I first became aware of this in the 1980's when I was in medical electronics.

We had an entire product line based on in house designed and developed hardware in the form of expansion boards that we would plug into the expansion slots of an IBM PC.
    We then wrote our own device drivers and software in house.

IBM published an over the counter "IBM Technical Reference" that showed the IBM PC BIOS code, and gave documentation on what standards had to be met for any expansion cards to work in the IBM.

This is ALL it took for an entrepreneur to develop a product and put it in the marketplace.

Apple on the other hand used a closed architecture model.
    We could've NEVER based our product line on an Apple computer.
    Any products anybody wanted to develop for an Apple computer had to be done with Apple's approval and OK.

More recently (some years back), I remember looking at an Apple iPod.

My last question to the sales person was "And of course, this uses an off the shelf industry standard battery that I can replace myself?"

To which he replied "Oh No. If the battery needs replaced, it must be returned to Apple and for a cost of about $90, they will put in a new battery for you."

I said "That fact just blew the sale."
    I then went and bought a generic Mp3 player that took a AAA battery.

Maybe it's just me, but I always use open architecture computer hardware that uses industry standard components.
    I even build my own computers so I can do this.

But that said.
    I wished no ill will to Steve Jobs, and am sorry to hear of his death.

Top Bottom