• ...and so much more!
  • Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Truly a great loss.

There are not many people in the history of the world, that have made such an impact on everyday life, that when they are gone, the entire world will know of, and be saddened by their passing.

His legacy will last a very very long time.

Rest in peace Steve Jobs.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I guess you need to be an entrepreneur to get this part. We're not like regular people, we strive to see a need and fill it. The truly gifted entrepreneurs know what you want BEFORE you want it. Steve was fantastic at this. Look at the iPhone and how it changed smartphones. No more crappy screens, no more stylus and menus. A smartphone that regular people could use. Look at the iPad and how it has changed education. I know of 5-6 schools alone that are throwing out their textbooks and going all iPads.

Yes, I stand by my words. Sure I may be a bit dramatic but he was a personal hero of mine. He built a computer out of circuit boards and WOODEN keys in his garage to start Apple with. His creations made the world a different place. And not many people on this planet can say that.

I believe that I specifically mentioned the fact that he was a good businessman. I am not arguing that bit at all. The iPhone hasn't ever really impressed me all that much and smartphones were moving in that direction with Android based phones coming out not really all that long after the first iPhone. Schools could just as easily use a product with more capabilities (that is cheaper) for the exact same purpose, but I do agree that the theory behind switching to a tablet device is a pretty solid idea. I think it will have some issues that will need attention (technology is already playing too much of a role and could easily be a distraction for certain types of students). I guess maybe you've lost me when you say Apple was the only company that could push the move for technology instead of text books. ANY of the tablet devices could have easily been the ones used. There are plenty of downsides to using any tablet device as the main source of learning materials but that isn't what this thread is about.

Just because I don't think Steve Jobs was a god doesn't mean that I don't understand the innovation involved.

Drunken Yak inc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Osceola, IN
    I believe that I specifically mentioned the fact that he was a good businessman. I am not arguing that bit at all. The iPhone hasn't ever really impressed me all that much and smartphones were moving in that direction with Android based phones coming out not really all that long after the first iPhone. Schools could just as easily use a product with more capabilities (that is cheaper) for the exact same purpose, but I do agree that the theory behind switching to a tablet device is a pretty solid idea. I think it will have some issues that will need attention (technology is already playing too much of a role and could easily be a distraction for certain types of students). I guess maybe you've lost me when you say Apple was the only company that could push the move for technology instead of text books. ANY of the tablet devices could have easily been the ones used. There are plenty of downsides to using any tablet device as the main source of learning materials but that isn't what this thread is about.

Just because I don't think Steve Jobs was a god doesn't mean that I don't understand the innovation involved.

No offense, but show so god damn respect. Keep your anti-Apple rederict for a non-death thread.

Tablets came and gone before apple showed the world that instead of making a tablet a small computer, it would be better suited as a large smart phone.

Was he a God? Of coarse not. He was a man that saw the big picture. He didn't rush products or features to market and realized that people wanted quality products and were willing to pay for it. Apple hardly ever was the creator of a technology, but they improved upon others ideas and didn't release anything until it was proven to work.

Yes there are cheaper tablets out there, however the android operating system just isn't as good. It has some nice features, but it's not as stable and just doesn't flow as well. But I wil say i like how customizable android is.

Anyways, this is about the loss of a great man, may he rest in piece.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Ok. Having seen students being engaged and being married to a special Ed teacher I see things differently. Students that could never focus on a textbook nor could they even sit still long enough to absorb material are now able to engage their brains with interactive material that stimulates their brains in ways that were impossible before these devices.

If technological progression is bad why are we all not shooting muskets? After all they worked fine for a long time. Why do we need anything more than that?

:rolleyes:

I didn't say it was bad, I said that a teacher was and will always be the most important thing in the classroom.Not a fancy high tech device.

And books dont run out of battery, you cant say that about iPads. :):
    That's just like knives, sure we have modern firearms but we still use knives because they dont run out of ammo.
    We will still see books in our classrooms for the same reasons.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Hey guys, can we start another thread for this? I mean, Mr. Jobs literally JUST died, a little respect isn't out of the question.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    :dunno:

We haven't said anything disrespectul. :rolleyes:

128926109692421180.jpg

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    No offense, but show so god damn respect. Keep your anti-Apple rederict for a non-death thread.

Tablets came and gone before apple showed the world that instead of making a tablet a small computer, it would be better suited as a large smart phone.

Was he a God? Of coarse not. He was a man that saw the big picture. He didn't rush products or features to market and realized that people wanted quality products and were willing to pay for it. Apple hardly ever was the creator of a technology, but they improved upon others ideas and didn't release anything until it was proven to work.

Yes there are cheaper tablets out there, however the android operating system just isn't as good. It has some nice features, but it's not as stable and just doesn't flow as well. But I wil say i like how customizable android is.

Anyways, this is about the loss of a great man, may he rest in piece.

I was simply responding to someone and I had already said that, sure, you can feel bad for his friends and family. If you think responding to someone being over dramatic was disrespectful, you need to chill boss. I could absolutely hate Apple (which I don't, just don't buy into the hype) but not show Jobs any disrespect. Does his death have any direct impact on my life? Nope. Do I have negative feelings about the man or think it is funny he dies? That would be a no. If you had actually read the post you quoted, I even said that this wasn't the thread for it.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Why are people getting butt hurt about it? What about the 150,000 other people who died today around the globe. Im not saying to disrespect him, but the whole "too soon" argument is just pointless.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I really do think technology as a whole would be where it is today if it werent for steve...RIP and my condolence to his family, you will be missed!

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The limited supply of leadership in America has been dealt a severe blow in the passing of Steve Jobs. None of us are here forever, his passing will be felt for a long time to come.

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    Why are people getting butt hurt about it? What about the 150,000 other people who died today around the globe. Im not saying to disrespect him, but the whole "too soon" argument is just pointless.

'But hurt' isn't really an accurate description. It should be no surprise that what a person accomplishes in life and what he gives back to others, affects how his death is felt and by whom. Certainly the other 149,999 had an impact on someone but Steve Jobs set the bar pretty high. He was also one of the people who helped build the consumer computer and smartphone industries and more or less defined MP3 players. These are things many people use every day, so of course they find his death more notable than most others.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    You're right, it's not too soon that the greatest American innovator since Edison died at the age of 56. Not like he could have added anything to our world or anything.

Top Bottom