• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    To stir the rumor mill a bit, buddy of mine who's a trooper said they may go with the Sig P227 instead of the FN. If they do, I'm officially jealous.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    To stir the rumor mill a bit, buddy of mine who's a trooper said they may go with the Sig P227 instead of the FN. If they do, I'm officially jealous.

whoa... I didn't even know there was such an animal!

Also, the State already has some kind of QPA for Sigs. Conservation officers carry the 220 (Or at least have the option, I have no idea if they all do or not)

-J-

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    Sig is releasing the P227 later this year. it's a sig 226 frame with 220 slide making it a double stack .45. And I really want one when they come out!

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    Something is broke with my department when I get more information from this board than I do from my department emails!

I thought the 227's weren't going to be ready for T&E until the fall of 2013?

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    Something is broke with my department when I get more information from this board than I do from my department emails!

I thought the 227's weren't going to be ready for T&E until the fall of 2013?

They're like any other agency.....
    Until you're qualifying with it, I wouldn't believe it. ALL admins change their minds mid-stream.
    It will be interesting to see what eventually gets issued out.

Stay safe

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The Sig 227 was approved yesterday.

Okay, so the glock 17's didn't work then the glock 21's didn't work so now lets put the taxpayers on the hook for a brand new gun that isn't even available or even fielded yet? Is someone at the ISP just looking through a gun magazine and pulling this out of their rear or what? Sigs in the last couple of years haven't exactly enjoyed the best reputation for problem free guns either. If you have to have a sig and a .45 just get the 220 it's 8+1 instead of 10+1 but they have been around for years. Why take a step backward to DA/SA to begin with? Do they know the S&W M&P .45 exists?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Okay, so the glock 17's didn't work then the glock 21's didn't work so now lets put the taxpayers on the hook for a brand new gun that isn't even available or even fielded yet? Is someone at the ISP just looking through a gun magazine and pulling this out of their rear or what? Sigs in the last couple of years haven't exactly enjoyed the best reputation for problem free guns either. If you have to have a sig and a .45 just get the 220 it's 8+1 instead of 10+1 but they have been around for years. Why take a step backward to DA/SA to begin with? Do they know the S&W M&P .45 exists?

As someone who's agency uses SIG's I wouldn't say a DA/SA is a step backwards. they are a very good combat weapon and if I had my choice would carry one over any polymer or safe action any day. Just ask the federal Air marshal's, Secret Service, VA Police and many many more.

I wouldn't get too worked up until you actually see whichever particular gun is in a State Troopers holster. There is a more hearsay because someone might have heard someone voice what "they" want. the whole selection board thing will take some time especially if they are looking at something that isn't even in mass production yet. Prototypes even on existing designes rarely ever get adopted in a timely matter

The Secret Service had the same issue back in the late 1980's when they (Browning and the USSS)made a BIG announcement the Browning BDM was adopted. The BDM eded up not making the deadline so the USSS went with the SIG 228. Then the BDM was only in production for around 5-6 years.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    As someone who's agency uses SIG's I wouldn't say a DA/SA is a step backwards. they are a very good combat weapon and if I had my choice would carry one over any polymer or safe action any day. Just ask the federal Air marshal's, Secret Service, VA Police and many many more.

I wouldn't get too worked up until you actually see whichever particular gun is in a State Troopers holster. There is a more hearsay because someone might have heard someone voice what "they" want. the whole selection board thing will take some time especially if they are looking at something that isn't even in mass production yet. Prototypes even on existing designes rarely ever get adopted in a timely matter

The Secret Service had the same issue back in the late 1980's when they (Browning and the USSS)made a BIG announcement the Browning BDM was adopted. The BDM eded up not making the deadline so the USSS went with the SIG 228. Then the BDM was only in production for around 5-6 years.

I didn't say they weren't adequate, I love my 220's, 228's and 225's, it's just the future is striker fired guns, Sig and H&K just won't admit it. I don't need to ask the AM's and the USSS they carry what they are told like everybody else and do fine with them, many of these don't carry DA/SA anymore but DAO's like the DAK's and the LEM's.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I didn't say they weren't adequate, I love my 220's, 228's and 225's, it's just the future is striker fired guns, Sig and H&K just won't admit it. I don't need to ask the AM's and the USSS they carry what they are told like everybody else and do fine with them, many of these don't carry DA/SA anymore but DAO's like the DAK's and the LEM's.

I know what you were saying just merly adding that there are a lot of agencies that do utilize the DA/SA variant SIG's, more than a lot of folks realize especially in the FED's. While Glocks. M&Ps and other striker fired pistols are good duty guns, from my experience with being issued all of them and as a trainer with "proper" training DA/SA even DAO or DAK SIG's are more accurate and I feel that has to do with the trigger systems and training. Just not all people have the attention span to master the DA/SA trigger so they are probably better off with a Glock.

I'm not saying Glocks and M&P's don't get the job done (I use M&P's off duty) it just seems these days a lot of agencies as a whole that use Glocks or striker fired type pistopls are getting away from teaching marksmanship (look at the fall in popularity of the old PPC matches).

Yes folks need to be good at "combat" type shooting but there's still a place for marksmanship.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

Took the words out of my mouth. I can see a case for .45, a case for SIGs. But I'm not seeing the case for a 227... Did S&W not want to give a sweetheart deal on M&P 45s, or did the ISP gunmag-reader-in-charge just decide they didn't look cool enough?

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Too bad to hear the G21 isn't a fit all solution. They are a handful of 45ACP, I used one as a duty weapon years ago(2nd Gen), and a hand held Surefire light. We didn't hang stuff on the guns, but I can see a pros/cons of that issue. Never an issue during use or quals, felt confident to have that in a holster in a squad.

We went to G22's, also worked well, a little lighter, lot of capacity. Again never an issue. What happened to Glock, did they make too much $, and forget to feed the employees?

My 3rd gen G19 eats everything, no issues. Just picked up a NIB G21, 3rd Gen. Haven't worked it out yet, ammo is still at a crunch in most LGS. Will advise after running a couple hundred rounds through it.

Top Bottom