• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Several days ago, there were members here, supposedly in law enforcement, who emphatically stated that they were told and could 100% confirm that the ISP were going to FN. I already knew at the time that they were going to Sig but wasn't at liberty to reveal it.

A lesson to all of you, whether you are LE or play LE on the Internet: quit spreading rumors about things of which you don't know a damn thing. You look like fools.

As for the choice of the Sig P227, it is a tremendous leap of faith given Sig's recent history. Nonetheless, it's a huge score for Sig and I do hope they deliver for the ISP.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    We'll see, I love 220's as well and would have been the smart choice. Has ISP even had any 227's for T&E yet? It sounds like they aren't even going to bother. It just sounds very unconventional to adopt a brand new pistol that is not even available yet?

The ISP received the first batch of guns with which to test in late March. The P227 has existed for months but is not yet a production line gun for distributor sales.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The ISP received the first batch of guns with which to test in late March. The P227 has existed for months but is not yet a production line gun for distributor sales.

That makes a lot more sense then they just pulled the 227 out of a hat. I don't know why it was a secret from troopers who post here that they didn't even know about it?

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    That makes a lot more sense then they just pulled the 227 out of a hat. I don't know why it was a secret from troopers who post here that they didn't even know about it?

A man who I have worked with for years, and who used to rent space in our shop, is a contractor for Sig on special projects. He has been involved in the ISP RFP since the beginning. He eats, sleeps, lives and breathes anything and everything Sig.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Generally most agencies have a fireams board that is made up of a lot of instructors and senior brass. When looking at adopting there is usually a compromise between what is everyones "pet" pistol and what would actually fit into that departments specific training. While SIG's are excellent handguns there is a learning curve on training/getting troops use to a decocker vs say a DAO.

ISP won't have a problem because they used a decock only Beretta for years but on larger departments like NYC the thought of trying to teach 30,000 plus (mostley non gun guys and gals) a decocker type handgun is a task from hell.

I wouldn't see SIG commiting to something they couldn't deliver on with 100% success.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Over the recent years, Sig has lost quite a foothold in LE Departments to other manufacturers(i.e. Glock, S&W). Sig is more then willing to cut a deal to get their new 227s in a lot of departments' hands.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I've been told that the FN was the choice until the realization that no major producer is geared up to produce holsters, etc. for the FN. I also heard that Sig will get the nod, I also thought the 227. We'll see.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    https://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/aboutus/news/P227%20PR.pdf

For anyone who's interested, Sig's media release back in January for the P227. I think the gun will be reliable, as it is really not much of a departure from Sig's Classic P series that has been the envy of the industry for over 20 years. Indeed, you can swap P220 slide assemblies onto this gun. The only noticeable difference in the internals is the guide rod/recoil spring assembly. It will also fit in existing P220 holsters, which will make those of us who already have those in spades happy.

A lot of us have asked Sig for a double-stack .45 for years. The P227 seems like it will be a good answer.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    I've been told that the FN was the choice until the realization that no major producer is geared up to produce holsters, etc. for the FN. I also heard that Sig will get the nod, I also thought the 227. We'll see.

I was told that the summary that went to all RFP participants said that the P227s ergonomics, especially for the females who tested with the E2 grips, was very high on the list of what won the contract for Sig.

As was suggested by someone earlier, I'm also sure that Sig is desperate for this gun to be adopted by as many departments as possible and are likely offering amazing financial deals to make it happen. In the end, this may be the #1 reason Sig won the contract.

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Over the recent years, Sig has lost quite a foothold in LE Departments to other manufacturers(i.e. Glock, S&W). Sig is more then willing to cut a deal to get their new 227s in a lot of departments' hands.

Doesn't the Indiana DNR issue Sigs to the Conservation Officers? I think everytime I have met one they have been carrying a Sig. I think it is neat that the two state LE departments will both be using Sig. I have 3 Sigs and my dad has 4 and we love them all.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    This thread is absolutely jam packed full of more bull**** and misinformation than any single thread I've ever read on INGO. Bravo folks, bravo.

RyanV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    La Porte County
    Doesn't the Indiana DNR issue Sigs to the Conservation Officers? I think everytime I have met one they have been carrying a Sig. I think it is neat that the two state LE departments will both be using Sig. I have 3 Sigs and my dad has 4 and we love them all.

Yes, ICOs carry P220s.

logain

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    Fishers
    Several days ago, there were members here, supposedly in law enforcement, who emphatically stated that they were told and could 100% confirm that the ISP were going to FN. I already knew at the time that they were going to Sig but wasn't at liberty to reveal it.

A lesson to all of you, whether you are LE or play LE on the Internet: quit spreading rumors about things of which you don't know a damn thing. You look like fools.

It's kinda of hard to say people look like fools when we received an email stating we were going with one gun then weeks later received another email saying we were actually now going with a different gun. I believe you're the one looking foolish.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    When it comes to choosing between bureacratic ineptness and nefarious intent by a LEO, I know which explanation seems more plausible to me.

JMO

Top Bottom