• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • R33D0

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    They are probably testing several models, i had a state trooper tell me they were looking at sigs and the fnx45

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Just read Massad Ayoobs article in American Handgunner and he talks of the ISP getting the 227. SIGs are good guns and those guys deserve it. He also wrote that the dept has changed sidearms 6 or 7 times in 25 years. Really???

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Just read Massad Ayoobs article in American Handgunner and he talks of the ISP getting the 227. SIGs are good guns and those guys deserve it. He also wrote that the dept has changed sidearms 6 or 7 times in 25 years. Really???

That should be right. 357 revolver to 9mm Beretta 92 to 40 cal Beretta 96 to 40 Glock 22 to 9mm Glock 17 to 45 cal Glock 21 to 45 SIG 227, I'm dizzy now!

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Yup, the Troopers change guns like some change underwear!

Between 1967 & 1993, IPD issued me 3 different .38 Specials, a .357 (all S&Ws) and 2 different versions of the Beretta 92. They went to the .40 caliber Glocks very shortly after I retired. When they changed from .357 to 9MM some of the "brass" were issued Sigs instead of the Beretta.

Last edited:

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    I've had a Sig P227 for a few months now. As a confirmed and dedicated 1911 fanboy, I've found the 227 to be the pleasantest 45 auto I've ever shot. Recoil is mild, accuracy is good and the ergonomic grip is nice. I don't see why the decocker would be a problem , as I doubt you would be using it in a combat situation. I still prefer the 1911 for bullseye shooting but I like the 227 better for carry.

usmcleatherneck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Yes, they used the Glock platform and Beretta platform for many years, Does it really matter what caliber? Anyway, its good that a department is willing to continuously improve and seek better gear.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yes, they used the Glock platform and Beretta platform for many years, Does it really matter what caliber? Anyway, its good that a department is willing to continuously improve and seek better gear.

Although the switch to the G21 was done against the wishes and advice of almost everyone else but the former commissioner... A Trooper acquaintance of mine said that some suspect that he wanted to retire with an issued .45.....rather than a 9mm.

That same acquaintance said that many guys were having reliability issues with the G21, too. Cycling issues. Not sure if it was on the level that their previous G22s had - but none the less, some were indeed having issues.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Although the switch to the G21 was done against the wishes and advice of almost everyone else but the former commissioner... A Trooper acquaintance of mine said that some suspect that he wanted to retire with an issued .45.....rather than a 9mm.

That same acquaintance said that many guys were having reliability issues with the G21, too. Cycling issues. Not sure if it was on the level that their previous G22s had - but none the less, some were indeed having issues.

I haven't owned a Sig in a couple of years so I can't really attest to some of the internet ramblings on sigs current quality but hopefully now they can at least carry in confidence.

Top Bottom