• ...and so much more!
  • j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    IMPD did. Our 3rd gen Glock 22's had multiple failures when you attached a light to the rail. I would have a FTE about 1 round in 3 magazines.

Glock replaced our mags and said the stiffer springs would fix it. It didn't. My Glock still hung up about 1 round in every 3 magazines.

It ran, and continues to run 100%, without a light on the rail (I bought it back) but no way would I trust it with the light on it.

Oh yes we did to on our Gen 3's. I had totally forgot that.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Hmmm, that is a LOT of money and time wasted. That's too bad. Hope they finally have it figured out. The Gen 4 G22's seems to work great for us. I've been lucky though, I had my Gen 3 G22 issued to me new in 2002 and it ran flawless with a light until it was replaced with my Gen 4.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sheer curiosity here, what do you think having the light is causing?

The frame to flex? Just wondering how attaching a light could cause those failures - not doubting you that they did.

I'm no engineer and Glock couldn't figure it out to our satisfaction so any guesses I have are just that.

With that qualifier, I would suspect it has something to do with changing how the gun moves under recoil with the added weight up front maybe adding flex to the frame. Glock thought stiffer magazine springs would fix it, which is why the mag swap happened, but I didn't see how that could resolve a FTE.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Rumor has it the decision has been made and we are to switch to the FNX 45! I am researching the gun now. Haven't heard anything bad about it so far.

Hm. A few months back a little birdy told me that there was a push for FN to make an inroad with a large department or two in Indiana but ISP wasn't specifically mentioned.

Interesting.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I have a gen 4 mag that came with my gen 4 23 that won't drop free. Some posters blame the gun for being a little too tight. They say wrap the mag in plastic or waxed paper overnight and it will take care of the problem. No thanks. I want my mags to drop free so I can concentrate on getting the new one in and not worry about the old one hanging up.

I now use that mag only for the range and have a piece of blue tape on the floor plate so I don't get it mixed up with the good ones.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    IIRC Glock was originally designed to NOT drop the magazine. They were intended as military weapons and it could be rather inconvenient to inadvertently lose the magazine when needed.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    Very interesting!

QUOTE=BehindBlueI's;4151807]Hm. A few months back a little birdy told me that there was a push for FN to make an inroad with a large department or two in Indiana but ISP wasn't specifically mentioned.

Interesting.[/QUOTE]

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    LOL, the FN is the only pistol that makes the Glock 21 look tiny. Does ISP only hire cops that can palm a basketball?

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    I can not belive Glock would not resolve the issue.
    G21s have been on the market for many years with almost zero problems.

My department went with earlier 21's and ended up going to sig because of so many problems with the 21's. We had light hits on primers, had a couple do3 round bursts.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    In a former life I used a G21 to shoot in USPSA. Some of my "drop free" mags would and some would not. I soon found out that sandpaper was my friend.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The choice of FN is really an interesting one. Certainly it's a capable gun-- it just seems to that so few departments actually issue anything from FN.

How many dep'ts carry something other than Glock, M&P, or Sig? It has to be a pretty small fraction. I'd guess < 15%.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Interesting...and a slight derail here. I noticed a wall full of trade in FN 40 cals at Blythe's in Griffith the other day. Thought to myself, "Self, what dept. would issue FNX pistols in .40?"

Well, I hope the gun serves you guys and the rest of the ISP well! We can argue about makes and calibers all day long, and that makes for a fun banter on the forums, but in the end, we can all agree that the 2nd Amendment shall not be infringed and that we want those putting their asses on the line to get home to their families safely!

Top Bottom