• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Yesterday, in a turn of events, the state House Public Policy Committee amended and passed Senate Bill 229 by an 8 to 2 vote. SB 229 was introduced by state Senator Jim Tomes (R-49) and is being handled in the state House by Representative Sean Eberhart (R-57).
    Earlier this session, we reported on House Bill 1048, sponsored by state Representative Jim Lucas (R-69), and while this bill appeared to have died in the House Public Policy Committee through inaction, HB 1048 was given new life yesterday as the chairman of that House committee, state Representative Tom Dermody (R-20), allowed it to be added to SB 229 as an amendment. SB 229 will now go to the House floor for a vote that is expected to happen on Monday, March 3, at the latest.
    As amended and passed in the House Public Policy Committee, SB 229 would now do the following:

• Prohibit the use of taxpayer dollars to fund a gun “buyback” program

• Allow firearms to be locked out of plain sight in a vehicle while parked on school property

• Remove the “roaming school zone” provision from current law – currently, property can be defined as a place where a school function is taking place (i.e. a person would be in violation of state law if they were legally carrying a firearm at a zoo and a school field trip was being held there as well)

• Redefine “school property” to only include property of the school and not other buildings that might be connect to the school by a parking lot
    Please contact your state Representative today and respectfully urge him or her to SUPPORT SB 229. Contact information for your state Representative can be found here.
    Also, Senate Joint Resolution 9, Right to Hunt and Fish constitutional amendment, will receive its second reading on the House floor today and will likely receive its third reading tomorrow. Please urge your state Representative to vote for SJR 9.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Will certainly voice my support! I would love to be able to keep my truck gun actually in my car. Not exactly a truck gun when it's left at home. This applies to high schools, right, or is it just colleges? The rest is fantastic, but most of all the roaming school zone provision I believe. There's no way for you to know if a school group is going by any particular place. There is no justice in something becoming suddenly illegal where it once was legal without any prior notice to you.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'll fully support this bill when they allow firearms inside college campuses, not just in vehicles.

It's already allowed. College campuses are not prohibited by law, only by the college's administrative policy. If it's a private college, then that's their right. If it's a state school, then I'd argue that pre-emption overrules any rule they'd have.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Will certainly voice my support! I would love to be able to keep my truck gun actually in my car. Not exactly a truck gun when it's left at home. This applies to high schools, right, or is it just colleges? The rest is fantastic, but most of all the roaming school zone provision I believe. There's no way for you to know if a school group is going by any particular place. There is no justice in something becoming suddenly illegal where it once was legal without any prior notice to you.

This applies to K-12, and I think (I am hoping to get confirmation) pre-schools / day cares - but that is not 100% verified yet. ... Not colleges (YET) ... Please write - See the 2014 Legislative thread at the top of the sticky's ...
    and if you're on face book - join the group in my signature ...

I'll fully support this bill when they allow firearms inside college campuses, not just in vehicles.

I hate to say quit whining - but quit whining - we're all in this together and this is a Good step forward.
    Even if it isn't the "BIG" leap we all want - which is removing "all the nonsense" restrictions.
    Rep. Lucas proposed Campus Carry and it didn't make it. I am confident he will bring it up again next session.
    I have a stake in NEITHER of these at the moment -
    Many of us don't have a stake in them at all - but we're still writing and trying to get better laws passed.

Moos demanding action were at the hearing arguing against this. They are pushing against it now.
    We're their "home" state. think about how that comes across!!! We all have to push this.
    if we divide up because it isn't our 'nitch' - we're done and they win and we can all go home.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    As Scutter said, this is already legal, however the colleges have policies (not laws) that make doing so problematic.

With that said...

Let me make sure I understand you- you're saying that until this bill is perfect, all or nothing, you will not support changes that take back bits and pieces of our ability to exercise our rights under the law, just as those bits and pieces were taken from us. Is that it? Can you not see the enormous changes that are happening? And yet, because the law does not specifically state that the carry of a firearm on a college campus shall be a lawful act, you'd rather see us get no change, no progress at all.

Please tell me I've misunderstood your intention with the quoted post. I WANT to have misunderstood you. I'd love to believe that you meant to say that you do support the bill as written, but simply would like to see it have gone further.

Blessings,
    Bill

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Pleases, do not let perfect be the enemy here. There are a few people that have sacrificed more than you could ever comprehend to get us to this point, and there is more to be gained in the future. Ground is taken back a few steps at a time, please don't become part of the problem when you could be part of the solution!

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    FYI:

Emailing with my State Rep and she is concerned about the wording stating that it is ONLY a misdemeanor if the gun is left in a vehicle out in view at a school.

Quote from her email:

"The bill, as written, would allow anyone (except a student) who has a license to keep a gun in their glovebox, trunk or out of sight in their car on school property. If you are foolish enough to leave your gun in plain sight (on the seat, etc.) It simply reduces the penalty from a felony to a misdemeanor."

Working up a response now.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Just called again... If they have not voted by the time my wife gets home she said she was planning on calling as well. She is a school teacher FYI and fully supports this bill.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    FYI:

Emailing with my State Rep and she is concerned about the wording stating that it is ONLY a misdemeanor if the gun is left in a vehicle out in view at a school.

Quote from her email:

"The bill, as written, would allow anyone (except a student) who has a license to keep a gun in their glovebox, trunk or out of sight in their car on school property. If you are foolish enough to leave your gun in plain sight (on the seat, etc.) It simply reduces the penalty from a felony to a misdemeanor."

Working up a response now.

WHO is your rep? - Austin?

Anybody know when the vote will take place?

They will move to 2nd reading today (Thurs 2/27) ... final vote will be Monday

GET THE LETTERS SENT ASAP.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    WHO is your rep? - Austin?

They will move to 2nd reading today (Thurs 2/27) ... final vote will be Monday

GET THE LETTERS SENT ASAP.

Yes she is. We have discussed the last several gun bills and she's been very receptive. She has even called for my opinion at times so we do seem to have a ongoing dialog that has proven beneficial.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Austin just spoke for an Amendment in 2nd round ... I guess she IS/WAS (??) a teacher. ...

The amendment was to remove Mr. Lucas' Amendment - but the amendment was SOUNDLY defeated 72-25.

FINAL VOTE WILL BE MONDAY. keep educating her. the arguements were silly. may write up later. took notes.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Austin just spoke for an Amendment in 2nd round ... I guess she IS/WAS (??) a teacher. ...

The amendment was to remove Mr. Lucas' Amendment - but the amendment was SOUNDLY defeated 72-25.

FINAL VOTE WILL BE MONDAY. keep educating her. the arguements were silly. may write up later. took notes.

Tried to explain to her last night that they weren't that well thought out. I asked her Terri "Why do you assume those at the athletic event don't already have a gun, are not breaking into your car with a gun, or coming after you at school with a gun? Those people are not going to concern themselves with the law anyway. You are only taking the guns out of the hands of those that are willing to follow the law!"

I explained my wife is a Para Educator that works with special needs kids just like she did and having a gun free zone doesn't make her any safer than Terri was in her example.

Thanks for the update.........be interested in reading your notes!

Top Bottom