• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    What are the odds of these so called "bad amendments" being added?

Hard to say until we know which Reps and Senators will be on the committee.

Can anyone help me define this part of the law? (I'm not expecting a definition that will stand up in court.)

Example #1: School FFA organization has a farm plot adjacent to school. Long edge of parcel directly adjoins (large) parking lot which adjoins school on the other long edge. Would carrying on the FFA plot with no students present be legal?

Example #2: FFA owns a parcel of land several miles from school. Students are of course occasionally on this land for school sanctioned activities. Could I carry when students are not present? What about if a students drops by to check on the crops?

The portion you're questioning is where the bill specifies that "school property" is limited to the actual school building... Not parking lots, not football fields, not playgrounds, just the building itself. As I read it, the school building will still be off limits 24/7/365, but you'll no longer have to park off the property, just lock your gun in the car, out of sight, and you're good to go, as it reads now.

Who do we contact for this part?

As soon as I know the names, I'll post them.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Where can we see who voted how?

Brotherbill3 posted this image:
    2014-0303-SB229PassesHouse_zpscb1fb70b.png

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Thanks BoR. I saw Brother Bills post where he said he had a screen shot but there isn't one in that post that I could see.

They're almost all alphabetical. The only exception is Bosma, who is listed at the far lower right as you look at the screen, as "Mr. Speaker"
    ArnoldRY
    AustinDN
    BaconRY
    BairdRY
    BartlettDN
    BattlesDN
    BauerDN
    BehningRY
    BeumerRY
    BraunRY
    Brown, CDN
    Brown, TRY
    BurtonRY
    Candelaria-ReardonDN
    CarbaughRY
    CherryRY
    ClereRY
    CoxRY
    CulverRY
    DavissonRY
    DelaneyDN
    DermodyRY
    DeVonRY
    DvorakDY
    EberhartRY
    ErringtonDN
    ForestalDN
    FriendR0
    FrizzellRY
    FryeRY
    GiaQuintaDN
    GoodinDY
    GutweinRY
    HaleDN
    HammRY
    HarmanRY
    HarrisDN
    HeatonRY
    HeuerRY
    HustonRY
    KarickhoffRY
    KerseyDN
    KirchhoferRY
    KlinkerDY
    KochRY
    KubackiRY
    LawsonDN
    LeheRY
    LehmanRY
    LeonardRY
    LucasRY
    LutzRY
    MacerDY
    MahanRY
    MayfieldRY
    McMillinRY
    McNamaraRY
    MessmerRY
    MoedDY
    MorrisRY
    MorrisonRY
    MoseleyDN
    NeeseRY
    NegeleRY
    NiemeyerRY
    NiezgodskiDY
    OberRY
    PelathDN
    PierceDN
    PorterDN
    PriceRY
    PryorDN
    RhoadsRY
    RichardsonRY
    RieckenDN
    SaundersR0
    ShacklefordDN
    SlagerRY
    SmaltzRY
    Smith, MiloRY
    Smith, VernonDN
    SolidayRY
    SpeedyRY
    StemlerDY
    SteuerwaldRY
    SullivanRY
    SummersDN
    ThompsonRY
    Torr
    RY
    TruittRY
    TurnerRY
    UbelhorRY
    VanDenburghDN
    VanNatterRY
    WashburneRY
    WescoRY
    WolkinsRY
    ZentRY
    ZiemkeRY
    Mr. SpeakerRY

Seven Democrats voted "Yes" to pass this bill.
    No Republicans voted "No".
    Two Representatives did not vote, both Republicans (Rep. Friend was excused from the session today.)

Last edited:

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Can anyone help me define this part of the law? (I'm not expecting a definition that will stand up in court.)

Example #1: School FFA organization has a farm plot adjacent to school. Long edge of parcel directly adjoins (large) parking lot which adjoins school on the other long edge. Would carrying on the FFA plot with no students present be legal?

Example #2: FFA owns a parcel of land several miles from school. Students are of course occasionally on this land for school sanctioned activities. Could I carry when students are not present? What about if a students drops by to check on the crops?

If the school shares a parking lot with a Walmart, the parking lot is not "school property." Under current law, it is off-limits because of the fact that it is the lot for a school.

Hard to say until we know which Reps and Senators will be on the committee.

The portion you're questioning is where the bill specifies that "school property" is limited to the actual school building... Not parking lots, not football fields, not playgrounds, just the building itself. As I read it, the school building will still be off limits 24/7/365, but you'll no longer have to park off the property, just lock your gun in the car, out of sight, and you're good to go, as it reads now.

As soon as I know the names, I'll post them.

Football fields and playgrounds aside, this is a BIG help for those that have kids in parochial schools or attend a church that has a school on it's grounds. Because the church and the school almost always share a parking lot which made it impossible to carry when attending church. If this passes I can carry in church. Yeah!! Just have to get the thing through conference and passed now.

And we can expect to see a piece by Erica Smith now. I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up in the morning. And probably Tully as well.

Last edited:

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Saw article on Fox 59 at 10. Seemed pretty fair and balanced.

Just loved the Mom's argument that if this passes it will allow bus drivers to carry on their busses...guess they are trying to make the emotional attachment with the bus driver incident recently...:rolleyes:

Mark

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Saw article on Fox 59 at 10. Seemed pretty fair and balanced.

Just loved the Mom's argument that if this passes it will allow bus drivers to carry on their busses...guess they are trying to make the emotional attachment with the bus driver incident recently...:rolleyes:

Mark

and that argument is false -and has never been part of the legislation. -

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    and that argument is false -and has never been part of the legislation. -

Might be wrong but I believe it did at one time anyway!

(1) in or on school property, in or on property that is being used
    6 by a school for a school function, or on a school bus in violation
    7 of IC 20-33-8-16 or IC 35-47-9-2;

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    For those of you posting about carrying at church, you might check with your church and school leadership. In some cases the parking lot, while shared with the schools, is actually church property. Also, in many of those cases the church and school are separately incorporated meaning that the parking lot is in fact church property and not school property.

Hopefully once this bill is law we won't have to worry about that anyway, but it is always worth checking to be sure, rather than making an assumption either way.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    For those of you posting about carrying at church, you might check with your church and school leadership. In some cases the parking lot, while shared with the schools, is actually church property. Also, in many of those cases the church and school are separately incorporated meaning that the parking lot is in fact church property and not school property.

Hopefully once this bill is law we won't have to worry about that anyway, but it is always worth checking to be sure, rather than making an assumption either way.

I don't believe that would make a difference. The wording of the present law pretty much makes anything attached to the school or on shared property a school zone and as such a GFZ. The law makes proximity to a school or a roaming school event a GFZ. It makes no distinction for separate "entities". It's all about proximity. At least that's my read and I believe fits the Leftist mindset about expanding GFZ's as far as possible.

I agree too that hopefully this will do away with at least a sizable portion of that dreck.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Might be wrong but I believe it did at one time anyway!

(1) in or on school property, in or on property that is being used
    6 by a school for a school function, or on a school bus in violation
    7 of IC 20-33-8-16 or IC 35-47-9-2;

From the initial synopsys of HB 1048:
    [FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold]
    Synopsis:​
    [/FONT]​
    [/FONT]Possession of firearms. Makes knowingly or intentionally possessing a firearm: (1) in or on school property; (2) in or on property that is not school property and is being used by a school for a school function; or (3) on a school bus; a Class A misdemeanor instead of a Level 6 felony.

In the initial format, Rep Lucas wanted to reduce the charge for possession to a misdemeanor; but it was still prohibited on the bus. At the initial hearing - in order to even get this a hearing - these possession charges were restored to a level 6 Felony, including the bus. and sorry I have no idea what is up w/ my computer and why the text is funky. ... :rolleyes:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Rep. Vernon Smith now up. Very shaky sounds in his voice. He's more than likely going to oppose the bill. Especially when you start with, " I didn't want to get up here and damage my A+ rating with the NRA"

His argument is also silly. Paraphrased of course "Well, people don't think when their angry. If they have a gun in their car, they may just go get that gun."

I play some poker, and it never ceases to amaze me that many opponents assume everyone else at the table acts the same that they would. Wild players will always assume everyone else is wild. Rep. Vernon Smith's testimony speaks volumes about his character in this respect.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    I play some poker, and it never ceases to amaze me that many opponents assume everyone else at the table acts the same that they would. Wild players will always assume everyone else is wild. Rep. Vernon Smith's testimony speaks volumes about his character in this respect.

I would say it's more toward the line of thinking........."Well of course I could handle it but most others are just too stupid or mental to handle it properly!"

Top Bottom